Borsig

J-braid on saltist 3000 yields massive knotting and twisting every outing

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Any idea what could be causing this? The way it was sppooled maybe?

It doesnt happen on my spinfisher vi with power pro. Then again, thats a bait only rod.

Ive ended up having to cut out a third of it probably due to the massive twisting problem. Also the neon green J-braid faded really easily. Have been completely unimpressed with this setup. Reel is smooth - not sure it's a reel problem, but man oh man does this line make one hell of a mess every outing. The power pro seems way nicer, but again, Im not tossing lures with it.

Any tips to figure why it's doing this?

It's gotta be either a bad line roller or the line not being on the line roller on the retrieve, something causing twist on the lures end.  Something grabbing the line in the guides.

Or the way it was spooled.

I just reversed a spool that's been in use for 2 years and it was still perfectly fine..  

If you've been throwing metals with it....one fouled cast could lead to masssssive twist

throwing leadheads and gulp. Has a tactical angler clip on the end. Its done it with double drop rigs and with lures alike.

bought new at hatteras jack a few weeks ago, he spooled the line. I figure it might be something I am doing,. but damn if I know. How do I check what it is? Its maddening this thing, every time out it ruins my day it seems. Its happened 3-4 times now.

Caution when you have line spooled in a shop. Admittedly, the spooler should know correct tensioning but if put on too tight you could end up with too much line and problems. I have used 20lb Jbraid all season on my light outfit casting plugs and plastics without issue. I did spool myself trying to tension the line to assimilate a normal retrieve with a plug. Spool line to match your normal retrieve tension.

27 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

It's gotta be either a bad line roller or the line not being on the line roller on the retrieve, something causing twist on the lures end.  Something grabbing the line in the guides.

I just reversed a spool that's been in use for 2 years and it was still perfectly fine..  

If you've been throwing metals with it....one fouled cast could lead to masssssive twist

I have been having the same problem with the J-Braid on my Stradic Ci4+ when fishing fresh water. Last time it happened it was the first outing after putting new line on so it could be how I spooled it. Was throwing small rapalas.  

For anyone else reading this, if you fish with a whopper plopper I suggest putting a swivel in front of them. If the tail on the lure gets hung up with something (happens often), then the whole lure will spin creating a crap-load of line twist in just one retrieve.

27 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

All of this is makes a lot of sense...I had to fix/adjust the line roller on my saltist this morning after yesterday’s trip it wasn’t working correctly I’d check that  ...

My response is not specific to your reel brand or line brand or type as I have no knowledge of either. Line twist is usually the result of improper line installation, especially if the twist occurred before YOU were able to twist it yourself (user error, reeling against drag). Judging only from what I have seen in the past, almost all fisherman put the line on incorrectly, in my opinion, resulting in line twist. there is a chance, although a much smaller chance, of a mechanical factor, such as a sticky or non-turning line roller that can add to the problem but I have found that usually to not be the case. Strip off some line till you get to an unused section of the spool and see if it was put on twisted or not, it will be very obvious one way or the other.

Edited by SC

14 mins ago, SC said:

My response is not specific to your reel brand or line brand or type as I have no knowledge of either. Line twist is usually the result of improper line installation, especially if the twist occurred before YOU were able to twist it yourself (user error, reeling against drag). Judging only from what I have seen in the past, almost all fisherman put the line on incorrectly, in my opinion, resulting in line twist. there is a chance, although a much smaller chance in my opinion, of a mechanical factor, such as a sticky or non-turning line roller that can add to the problem but I have found that usually to not be the case. Strip off some line till you get to an unused section of the spool and see if it was put on twisted or not, it will be very obvious one way or the other.

Very curious on what you process was for the correct way .. 

5 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Very curious on what you process was for the correct way .. 

I never had a shop do it and always spooled "drum to drum" not using the reel itself. I used a cordless drill and modded reel shaft. Easy and foolproof. I am not saying this is the "correct" way, only that the most published "correct" methods do introduce line twist and "drum to drum" does not. Anytime you are "reeling" in to fill a spinning reel you are introducing line twist that will increase with actual (fishing) use.

Edited by SC

2 mins ago, SC said:

I never had a shop do it and always spooled "drum to drum" not using the reel itself. I used a cordless drill and modded reel shaft. Easy and foolproof.

Yups same way I have always done it too.. 

thought maybe you some magical techniques .. 

for  what it worth been using j braid for years and never a problem with it .. I like it.. thin , strong , and cheap so it gets changed often 

Very interesting read. Does line twist occur with braid? I have only see it occur with mono if not spooled properly.

Is this occurring with a certain type of braid and if yes why?

I use only PowerPro braid.