Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hairyjig

3-way bucktaing in current from the kayak?

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone do this like the boat guys? Figured it would work just as well on a kayak for fish holding deep near inlets and bridges where it’s too dangerous to tie up or anchor.  I’m trying to work the same areas that I fish from the surf Because I know I can catch fish there consistantly bucktails and soft plastics but I’m finding it difficult to present anything the right way while peddling for the right presentation.   

5 hours ago, Hairyjig said:

Does anyone do this like the boat guys? Figured it would work just as well on a kayak for fish holding deep near inlets and bridges where it’s too dangerous to tie up or anchor.  I’m trying to work the same areas that I fish from the surf Because I know I can catch fish there consistantly bucktails and soft plastics but I’m finding it difficult to present anything the right way while peddling for the right presentation.   

I found it to be less effective than properly jigging. That's why you have peddles to stay vertical and worked tight quarters. It'd be even harder to present that kind of rig if you can't do it with a single jig and your mirage drive.

I'd only consider something like that in over 50 FoW and a 2 knot current. I'd work on the specific ledge or hump that the bass set up on. Unlike redfish they tend to roam a lot less and sit in the same spot every time on the tide. Should get easy when you zero in exactly where they live. 

Edited by EliasV

I fish some fast,  deep water ocean inlet  jetty spots that i wouldn't even consider doing in a kayak.

At times at peak current I'm throwing 5 oz bucs from the jetty  just to get a good bounce & that's not even with a moon tide either... 

A dying flow or near slack is your best bet if you really wanna do it,  I've done some drifts at a dying & building tide flow with some success but imo, I'd rather hit spots like that from the jetty, takes too much work for such a low yield result...... you're constantly trying to get back up current. 

If you're looking to stay in a fixed position for any extended amount of time you're gonna be focusing a lot of attention on that & less on your actual fishing technique similar to the way you fish or pass through a rip, your trying to not flip over and focusing on the current coming at you in every direction......not my favorite place to hook up 

Bridges may be a different story depending on your spot .... 

the bridges i  fish are back bay bridges, 2 are close to an inlet,   current's not too bad,   i can stem the tide easily & dart from one piling to the other hitting all those sweet spots down current of the piling .....

Edited by BillZ

Following. I am actually rigging up to try it this week around a few spots in VA. Bouncing eels on the bottom is working ok right now, but I don’t really love dealing with eels in the kayak. 

Interesting ... I’m probably just too focused on the surf fishing technique of having the lure sweep and ticking bottom with the occasional twich as apposed to jigging over a particular piece from the kayak .   I usually kayak fish the north shore of Long Island for bass (mostly trolling same depth boulder fields) which is a little easier to fish than the south shore waters with a substantial amount of current at times. I’m trying to adapt my surf techniques to the kayak , but it ain’t easy!   Thanks guys !  Much respect for you all !  Hope to be on your level some day. 

18 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Bouncing eels on the bottom is working ok right now, but I don’t really love dealing with eels in the kayak. 

Icing them down should leave them good to go, they shouldn't be resisting any..... ?

Quick story;

When i use to skish i use to do a lot of eeling, let me tell you, they're extremely "green" when hooking them up out there, no way to really ice them down........

How its done is, each eel is put into a  ziploc with a little water, all the eel bags for the night go into a small, empty plug bag on my waist..... 

When  its time to hook up the eel you force its head into the corner of the ziploc & at lightning speed (this is an important part) impale a hook right thru the bag & the eel.....once hooked up you rip the bag off the rig & cast...

If you don't hook it super quick or you fail to hook it its gonna freak out & possibly work its way right out thru the hole(s) you just made in the bag with the hook.....you can easily lose a few eels this way.... its a learned thing, it happens...

Best.... 

I tried it once in the early spring. 2oz fluke ball as the weight and a 4" shad on the long leader. I was in about 20-25ft. Wind and tide were not cooperating, so I used the pedals for a slow troll. Caught some fish, but never tried it again. May give it another shot next time I go out. I'll definitely experiment more next year.