Alexey

Minnow Type Lures — tips, tricks and hacks (SP, Magdarter, Hydros, etc)

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

What’s your most productive way to work your minnow-type lure like SP, Magdarter or Hydros?  Fast?  Slow?  Stop-Jerk-Go?  Do you have any dark secrets on fishing or modifying such a lure to lure in the giants?

Edited by Alexey

Edited by TimS
Nothing personal - but please don’t send my guests to other sites to search for answers to questions they asked here - thanks

Yozuri Mag darter 5” should be a staple in any surf bag as it is a very productive plug on stripers. Just switch out the trebles for two 1/0 VMC 4X and good split rings like Owner hyper wire. Just cast this plug into productive water night or day and reel steady. The  mag darter will often catch when other stuff is just getting hit lightly or refused altogether. All their colors work but I’ve done well with black, bronze , sardine , mackerel and orange/gold. Btw, if you see any of the older run mags scoop them up as I believe they work a little better. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

1 hour ago, john1234 said:

^^^upgrade the hardware or you get this.

A2B5C7CF-382F-4B5F-851E-F4FB4A100CCA.jpeg

I saw this before.  How is this happening?  Is it that the drag was closed all the way?  Or is it happening gradually as you pull the fish?  At what kind of pull (approximately) does this happen?

So if a big fish starts spinning or gets enough torque on the factory rings they will bust open, the fish that did this was only a small keeper but since he got the hooks just right he was able to bust that hook off.....if you are serious about pulling big fish especially in areas of high current ie rips and the canal or any sort of a river mouth or breachway you should upgrade the hardware.

No joke about the stock hardware on the SP Minnows. Let me tell you a story.

I bought into the hype when they first came out and was fishing the beach in the middle of the day with the 5" bone version. First fish that takes it is a sea robin of course. Flopping around in the surf when I just got the fish in it bent the living #$%^ out of the rear split ring and then SNAPPED IT. No BS. The stock hardware or at least the split rings are dumpster worthy out of the box. 

Bluefish forget it...

In my opinion it's sort of BS as they are not necessarily that cheap. They should come with ok hardware. It's not hard to swap out but I'd almost rather they sold them naked than put that crap out. Great lures otherwise.

Edited by Slowwwride

43 mins ago, john1234 said:

So if a big fish starts spinning or gets enough torque on the factory rings they will bust open, the fish that did this was only a small keeper but since he got the hooks just right he was able to bust that hook off.....if you are serious about pulling big fish especially in areas of high current ie rips and the canal or any sort of a river mouth or breachway you should upgrade the hardware.

Mine get 5.5 h Rasco split rings with 4x hooks, never had a problem. Canal gets 6x.

I landed a 38" bass, was going to unhook it and the plug just dropped from its mouth. Yep. Opened split ring. Don't ask me why it waited to drop until I was holding the fish up on my rock, I have no explanation.  They are productive plugs, though. Lots of nights they seem to want it slow and steady, no twitching or anything fancy. I'll second Steve's opinion on the Mag Darter. I hadn't given them any time until a couple of years ago, now always have one on me. Those things are killers. 

Mag darters I usually fish with a straight retrieve. Sometimes I'll give them the occasional pause. SP's are productive all different ways. Sometimes a straight retrieve, sometimes twitched every few cranks. I've even caught fishing then almost like a pencil popper. Short rapid twitches. Extremely versatile plug. The hydro minnow seems to need to be cranked in a little quicker to have good action, or Fished in a bit of current. I like the crank a few times, pause, jerk, crank method for them.

59 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Mag darters I usually fish with a straight retrieve. Sometimes I'll give them the occasional pause. SP's are productive all different ways. Sometimes a straight retrieve, sometimes twitched every few cranks. I've even caught fishing then almost like a pencil popper. Short rapid twitches. Extremely versatile plug. The hydro minnow seems to need to be cranked in a little quicker to have good action, or Fished in a bit of current. I like the crank a few times, pause, jerk, crank method for them.

Thanks for the great response!   Does eceryone agree that Magdarter is effective with a straight retrieve?

8 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yozuri Mag darter 5” should be a staple in any surf bag as it is a very productive plug on stripers. Just switch out the trebles for two 1/0 VMC 4X and good split rings like Owner hyper wire. Just cast this plug into productive water night or day and reel steady. The  mag darter will often catch when other stuff is just getting hit lightly or refused altogether. All their colors work but I’ve done well with black, bronze , sardine , mackerel and orange/gold. Btw, if you see any of the older run mags scoop them up as I believe they work a little better. 

Just curious, how can you tell an old one from a new one? I found what I thought was a knock-off on the beach once, but it may just be an older version.

7 hours ago, Alexey said:

I saw this before.  How is this happening?  Is it that the drag was closed all the way?  Or is it happening gradually as you pull the fish?  At what kind of pull (approximately) does this happen?

The rings are just garbage. Same goes for the Tsunami Talkin' Poppers, at least the original ones. Four or five cocktail blues and you cannot even tell what it used to be.