Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chiefer

Black Sea Bass

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone caught black sea vass with any regularity in the greater Portland area? I know we have them here, but have never caught one myself.  Would really like to find good sea bass fishing in Casco Bay.

I know a lot of guys who fish Southern Maine, both on shore and in boats, but have never heard of anyone catching a black sea bass.  

I've spoken to a few Portsmouth and Rye lobstermen that have caught them in their traps. One guy just recently while at NE Marine supply that showed me a pic of a tog (blackfish) he caught and said sea bass where much more common catch than tog. I have a bunch of rockpiles marked  that I planned on trying this year but never made the time with the pogies and big bass on them.

3 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I've spoken to a few Portsmouth and Rye lobstermen that have caught them in their traps. One guy just recently while at NE Marine supply that showed me a pic of a tog (blackfish) he caught and said sea bass where much more common catch than tog. I have a bunch of rockpiles marked  that I planned on trying this year but never made the time with the pogies and big bass on them.

Have a friend in Portsmouth who has been catching them in the river every time he goes out for them for the past 5 years.  Rock piles are the correct idea according to him...

blacklabnh likes this

A local lobsterman stopped by today, said he catches a couple-few a year fishing out of Portland.  Probably not enough to justify putting any real time in next year.  Now if the GOM keeps warming like it has been, then you can bet that they will be here soon enough.

X2 on the harpswell area

a go to mackerel spot ledge buoy has produced 1-2 per year the past 5 years or so

prior to that I never had one in the same area 

Jim 

About 3 years ago I was catching them off the outer Casco Bay islands.  When they were around they seemed pretty plentiful and easy to catch.  I think it mostly depends on the water temps.  As some of the others have said I got them on sabiki rigs with diamond jigs.  Also baiting seemed to help.

They were tasty although a little on the small side:)