bob_G

New Ma hunting reg. From the ridiculous...

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

The next big issue will be plastic or paper.

With some towns becoming paper only!

This is what the elected idiots & public agencies we have spend their brain power on....while real crime is all around us!

(& getting worse every day)

21 mins ago, bb1 said:

The next big issue will be plastic or paper.

With some towns becoming paper only!

This is what the elected idiots & public agencies we have spend their brain power on....while real crime is all around us!

(& getting worse every day)

bb1,

You're on the right track. I predict that the next regulation will require hunters to pick up and remove their empty shotgun shells while hunting on public land.  Proponents will state the plastic shell is not biodegradable. In addition, they'll claim the empty shell casing frighten their children when they walk there in the off season.

57 mins ago, bob_G said:

bb1,

You're on the right track. I predict that the next regulation will require hunters to pick up and remove their empty shotgun shells while hunting on public land.  Proponents will state the plastic shell is not biodegradable. In addition, they'll claim the empty shell casing frighten their children when they walk there in the off season.

Seems to me there may already be laws in some places about picking up shotgun shells. Sounds familiar. 

I have definitely heard people whine about shotgun shells. Some places are really littered with them. They wash up in windrows in the salt ponds in RI during duck season.

They do not decompose. 

Maybe not a lot of harm, but it is persistant litter.

21 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Seems to me there may already be laws in some places about picking up shotgun shells. Sounds familiar. 

I have definitely heard people whine about shotgun shells. Some places are really littered with them. They wash up in windrows in the salt ponds in RI during duck season.

They do not decompose. 

Maybe not a lot of harm, but it is persistant litter.

Agreed 100%  Not picking up your empties is like opening a new fishing lure and throwing the package on the ground...…….littering period.  As a land owner in the past I have seen empty shells in the field picked up by hay balers and damage the knotters and also break teeth on cutter bars,  Livestock have eaten the shells and had to have them removed surgically and yet some people have trouble respecting the land.

We used to let people sight in their rifles in our gravel pit after hours as long as the picked up their brass as it would damage loader and truck tires.

Another comment was made about paper vs. plastic, well the town of Bourne, by town meeting vote, banned single use plastic bags, no big deal...………..  I personally would love to see single use Styrofoam containers banned as well as that would cut down on at least 75% of the litter...………….

But hey  who am I

FizzyFish and Plug and teaser like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

bb1,

bob_G,

I am usually on the right track.  :)  

The reason you don't need to display your fishing license any more is because it upset loony libs who got  "frightened" at the sight of anything fishing or hunting.

I of course was referring to paper or plastic in a (future) restrictive 'poop' reference.   Yes, the loony will demand you use paper to pick up after your pet in their special bubble.

There are so few hunters in MA now that none of this is really all that relevant.

(but what do you expect in a state were men can use the ladies room!)  lol

Edited by bb1
misspelling

You guys saw where it said "within 100 feet of the parking area," right?  What's wrong with that?  

I have a dog and it annoys me beyond belief how irresponsible some people are with their dog's poop.  

6 mins ago, TLap21 said:

You guys saw where it said "within 100 feet of the parking area," right? Whats wrong with that?  

I have a dog and it annoys me beyond belief how irresponchargessible some people are with their dog's poop.  

Well, I'll elaborate on what's wrong with it.  Imagine having to use 4wd to get into an area where they stock birds.  Dogs are going crazy to get out and hunt. You let your charges out,  they immediately disappear in shoulder high briar, swamp or underbrush in search of birds. 

But rather than hunt behind them, we're now obligated to find and pick up their poop.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Also, aren't there hundreds of WMA parking areas?  I doubt they're all as secluded as you're making them seem.

I agree it's going to be tough to enforce, but if your dog sh*ts in a  parking lot, you should pick it up.  

2 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Also, aren't there hundreds of WMA parking areas?  I doubt they're all as secluded as you're making them seem.

I agree it's going to be tough to enforce, but if your dog sh*ts in a  parking lot, you should pick it up.  

The places I hunt don't really have parking lots. Its often just a barway off a dirt road.

Just a footnote regarding bird dogs. 99% of bird dogs are trained as puppies to deficate off paths and roads. They're trained to go off into the woods or fields. This is something they do for life. The other day Charlie took a dump in a foot of water at the edge of a beaver swamp. :laugh:

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

The places I hunt don't really have parking lots. Its often just a barway off a dirt road.

Just a footnote regarding bird dogs. 99% of bird dogs are trained as puppies to deficate off paths and roads. They're trained to go off into the woods or fields. This is something they do for life. The other day Charlie took a dump in a foot of water at the edge of a beaver swamp. :laugh:

I would submit you have an old school point of view regarding the level of training bird dogs get these days.

A trip to a public pheasant stocked hunting area can be down right embarrassing for a guy like me raised from birth with bird dogs.

Seems most bird dogs today are virtually untrained kennel dogs with zero control from owner.

Soon as they hop out of the truck they piss and crap immediately, then take the fawk off.

My memories of hunting Bolton Flats is of half a dozen dogs running out of control in one area, flushing birds far from anyone, half a dozen guys screaming uselessly at their dogs " Get the Fawk over here now!!!", no dog obeying, guys beating dogs when they catch em.

And on the ride home in my dad's car; 

"What's that smell? Dont tell me you stepped in dog crap?"

Might explain my impatience with dog owners all these decades later.

4 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I would submit you have an old school point of view regarding the level of training bird dogs get these days.

A trip to a public pheasant stocked hunting area can be down right embarrassing for a guy like me raised from birth with bird dogs.

Seems most bird dogs today are virtually untrained kennel dogs with zero control from owner.

Soon as they hop out of the truck they piss and crap immediately, then take the fawk off.

My memories of hunting Bolton Flats is of half a dozen dogs running out of control in one area, flushing birds far from anyone, half a dozen guys screaming uselessly at their dogs " Get the Fawk over here now!!!", no dog obeying, guys beating dogs when they catch em.

And on the ride home in my dad's car; 

"What's that smell? Dont tell me you stepped in dog crap?"

Might explain my impatience with dog owners all these decades later.

Thanks for the put down. 

I'm 65, and have owned bird dogs since I was 12. 

It seems the scenarios you are producing are not probable. 100 ft from WMA parking areas is approx. 34 yds. Out in the middle of nowhere is not considered a WMA parking area in my opinion. In fact almost every WMA I hunt that have parking areas are almost directly on main roads. All aside nobody will enforce any new or existing law.

I don't think its unreasonable that there isn't crap all around your vehicle when you step out. Of course nobody is going to pick it up out in the brush, briars and swamps; but 35 yds from the parking lot seems like a no brainer to me. If every bird dog jumps out of the car and immediately needs to crap near the parking area it gets messy real fast.

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks for the put down. 

I'm 65, and have owned bird dogs since I was 12. 

No man, I didn't mean any put down to you personally.

I'm trying to say your dog may be well trained (old school) just like all my father's dogs (he's in his 70s), but that is NOT what many other guys bring to the field. 

I'm putting down guys who don't train their dogs, scream like idiots, then beat their dogs in public. And leave dog crap in the parking lot. 

Yeah, putting those guys down.

But I never thought that applied to you.

Hey, my Charlie is 11 and  I trained him with a pro. I still hunt him with an ecollar, and I still scream at him from time to time when he goes in craphead mode rather than use the collar.  But at least he poops in the woods.