bob_G

New Ma hunting reg. From the ridiculous...

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

...to the sublime.

Can't make thus up, but it goes under the catagory of only in Ma.

Beginning in 2019 hunters hunting in WMAs will be required to pick up after their bird dogs. :dismay:

 

20181031_113025.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Aside from this law being completely stupid - how will it be enforced? A new branch of government - the Poop Police?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are regulations for dog owners in many places that are summarily dismissed by the masses, why would this reg be treated any differently? I'm sure you see the onslaught of wrapped and unwrapped pup poop on the canal service rd daily, you think enforcement will be any more vigilant in the woods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog crap in every single conservation area within 20 miles of here is in my top five hugest pet peeves.

I just had a pleasant opportunity to shame with harsh words a bitch I saw drop the dreaded blue bag in the parking lot. She didn't see me sitting there. She tried to whine about the lack of trash pickup. In a conservation area lot? I suggested she let her dog crap in her own yard.

 

That law is foolish in that dog owners will just leave that many more **** bags laying around. 

Society is expected to tolerate dogs. Period.

Anyone who doesn't like dog crap needs to stay off the trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Dog crap in every single conservation area within 20 miles of here is in my top five hugest pet peeves.

I just had a pleasant opportunity to shame with harsh words a bitch I saw drop the dreaded blue bag in the parking lot. She didn't see me sitting there. She tried to whine about the lack of trash pickup. In a conservation area lot? I suggested she let her dog crap in her own yard.

 

That law is foolish in that dog owners will just leave that many more **** bags laying around. 

Society is expected to tolerate dogs. Period.

Anyone who doesn't like dog crap needs to stay off the trails.

But we're talking about hunting over dogs. This isn't some town park where people play frisbee with their kids. 

Bird hunters are running their dogs in search of pheasant, partridge abd woodcock.  Hunters cleaning their birds in tbe field. Archers are after deer. Field dressing their deer where they fall. Turkey hunters are hunting fall turkey. The lasting any bird dog man worries about is dog poop.

A typical Ma conundrum. A solution in search of a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, bob_G said:

But we're talking about hunting over dogs. This isn't some town park where people play frisbee with their kids. 

Bird hunters are running their dogs in search of pheasant, partridge abd woodcock.  Hunters cleaning their birds in tbe field. Archers are after deer. Field dressing their deer where they fall. Turkey hunters are hunting fall turkey. The lasting any bird dog man worries about is dog poop.

A typical Ma conundrum. A solution in search of a problem.

I get that. I am sympathetic to hunting dogs, despite my anti-dog crap whinning. 

 

I will say busy public hunting areas like Bolton Flats get positively nasty with dog crap in season, with much concentrated around the parking area and trails.

 

I personally avoid known hunting areas during season out of respect for the hunters. 

Unfortunately lots of people, birders in particular, want to use those lots and trails.

I don't blame them for wanting some control. 

In the end it's just more blue bags on the ground for someone else to pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I get that. I am sympathetic to hunting dogs, despite my anti-dog crap whinning. 

 

I will say busy public hunting areas like Bolton Flats get positively nasty with dog crap in season, with much concentrated around the parking area and trails.

 

I personally avoid known hunting areas during season out of respect for the hunters. 

Unfortunately lots of people, birders in particular, want to use those lots and trails.

I don't blame them for wanting some control. 

In the end it's just more blue bags on the ground for someone else to pick up.

The area where that sign was photographed was an esp rough section. The roads was well rutted, and the mud was deep. 4wd  is often needed to reach it. So its not an area frequented by folks on a family picnic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, bob_G said:

The area where that sign was photographed was an esp rough section. The roads was well rutted, and the mud was deep. 4wd  is often needed to reach it. So its not an area frequented by folks on a family picnic.

The law shouldn't be necessary. Everyone should pick up after their dog, everywhere, all the time, unless it's in the woods off trail.

It's just common courtesy. 

Unfortunately for every one hunter out there, there is 1000 casual dog walkers, all leaving crap for others to deal with.

 

When I become omnipotent, ONLY hunting dogs will be allowed in the woods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

But we're talking about hunting over dogs. This isn't some town park where people play frisbee with their kids. 

Bird hunters are running their dogs in search of pheasant, partridge abd woodcock.  Hunters cleaning their birds in tbe field. Archers are after deer. Field dressing their deer where they fall. Turkey hunters are hunting fall turkey. The lasting any bird dog man worries about is dog poop.

A typical Ma conundrum. A solution in search of a problem.

Good thing archers don't gut their deer in the parking lot or on the trail.

They could leave out plastic bags for the gut piles so hunters could pile them in the parking lot to rot.

I can just imagine coming back from a hike, my kid gets in the car, then informs me he has deer guts on his shoe - and the upholstery. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

snookster

"Wow! Aside from this law being completely stupid - how will it be enforced? A new branch of government - the Poop Police?"

 

In this state, there will be a Poop Police commissioner with a state car and several vice deputy executive commissioner job titles all making over a 100 grand on the state dole to enforce the unchecked pooping. Poop Patrol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Good thing archers don't gut their deer in the parking lot or on the trail.

They could leave out plastic bags for the gut piles so hunters could pile them in the parking lot to rot.

I can just imagine coming back from a hike, my kid gets in the car, then informs me he has deer guts on his shoe - and the upholstery. :cool:

But archers do gut and butcher their deer right in a parking lot right off a trail! 

Several years back Charlie (my dog) found something 50' off a path and refusrd to leave no matter how much I called him. I finallt walked over and found a fresh deer. Gutted, and only the backstrap and antlers removed. The rest was left to rot. I reported it to an EPO and took him over to see it. He told me that while its a waste of game, there no law against gutting a deer and leaving tbe rest of the animal where ever you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.