squammer

Power Knob Installation: Does anyone provide this service?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have a Penn SSV4500LL and I bought a Gomexus power knob for it. I found out that I need to use a vertical press power drill to drill out the riveted stock knob. I don't have access to this type of machine. Is there someone who would do this for me for a fee if I shipped my knob and reel arm part?

You can use a regular drill. You just need to partially drill out the rivet on the back side of your current knob carefully with a smaller drill bit. You can pinch the rivet off with pliers and then remove the knob. Once you do this, use the recommended drill bit and drill out your hole.

Edited by quan808

Before I had a drill press I would do it using a regular drill. It's not difficult if you are careful. Put it in a vise and go slow. Practice on an old reel handle if you have one. 

17 hours ago, quan808 said:

You can use a regular drill. You just need to partially drill out the rivet on the back side of your current knob carefully with a smaller drill bit. You can pinch the rivet off with pliers and then remove the knob. Once you do this, use the recommended drill bit and drill out your hole.

^^^  There is nothing to it. It doesn't have to be precise.  You have room for errors. The brass rivet doesn't have to drill out 100% perfectly, I just use a drill bit that's a bit smaller than the bottom of the knob spindle, the part that goes in the handle.  Flex the handle knob back and forth a bit will cause the rivet to break free completely.

44 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

If you damage the handle when you attempt to do it yourself give me a shout and I will send out a replacement handle from my sample reel. 

tony

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your offer! I will give it a shot...

You don’t drill it all the way. Halfway is fine then bend the knob back and forth. It will come out. Now you can drill the handle arm. A step or uni bit works the best because it doesn’t pull the bit through. It’s safer. A regular drill bit will give you a tighter fit. Use a bit the exact size as the stem of the new knob but work it in and out a few times. I’ve done hundreds of these. The Penn handle is easier because it uses a brass stem. Shimano uses a SS stem. 

If the rivet doesn't have a dimple on the back.....take a nail or awl or whatever you have and make one yourself.

That way it is less likely to walk on ya.

wear a leather glove or use a bench vice and wrap it in a towel to prevent the vice from marring the finish, or wrap in a towel and drill partially by hand.

If the bit grabs it'll spin and possibly cause an injury.

And everything else the other guys mentioned.

Google “center drills”.

large shank,say 1/4 inch,with 1/8 long 1/16 bit for example.

They drill straight with a countersink.

312mBKahYdL.jpg

Edited by olvart

13 hours ago, olvart said:

Google “center drills”.

large shank,say 1/4 inch,with 1/8 long 1/16 bit for example.

They drill straight with a countersink.

312mBKahYdL.jpg

I use the center drill on the SS handle shafts. A must have.

On 11/7/2018 at 0:56 PM, xjclint said:

You may want to reach out to penn about the slammer knob instead. Pretty sure it fits directly.

There was another thread with this question I just looked up. Looks like it doesn't fit...

"Sorry for the late reply, the Slammer III handles assemblies will not fit the SSV.

tony"