scoobydoo

The new top dog Daiwa.... Tournament Ballistic 11' 2-8 ounce First cast in slow motion Total rod weight 11.9 oz ST CROIX LEGEND 10'6 3/4-4 weighs 12.2

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

That'll be a great comparison

I was told that every new st croix surf rod sku will be sent my way in the next couple weeks.  

You'l have your ballistic sooner.....Lemme know your thoughts on how they compare.  I remember it's action being a and recovery being bit slower.  But  a blast to throw and fish

Will do.  I'll have fun comparing.  The way you described it, sounds like it's easy to cast like the St Croix's.  I prefer a slower rod especially for bait.  I'll be looking forward to hearing about your impressions of the new St Croix's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, dano1089 said:

Will do.  I'll have fun comparing.  The way you described it, sounds like it's easy to cast like the St Croix's.  I prefer a slower rod especially for bait.  I'll be looking forward to hearing about your impressions of the new St Croix's.

 

Just to clarify.....the St Croix was a bit slower.  The daiwa has a bit more of a fast ish action.  Not as limber in the top third as the legend and avid 3-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Just to clarify.....the St Croix was a bit slower.  The daiwa has a bit more of a fast ish action.  Not as limber in the top third as the legend and avid 3-8

Thanks.  That's okay.  It should handle a bit more weight and maybe throw it a bit farther.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 0:51 PM, scoobydoo said:

I built a 13'3 2-10 ballistic.

I think if you're throwing clams you'd be better off with the 11.

 

I don't think I could keep a clam belly in tact with the 13 :)

That's just me though....I seldom try to blast clams for distance (hmmmmm.....does that not sound right :)  )

 

The 11 is an awesome all around rod....I don't think it's the longest casting stick with a spinner.  The guide layout just feels a bit restrictive.......When I say that..it reminds me of  the original St Croix legends.  Effotless max distance..which was good......but max distance comes up a tad short.  

 

I fished the 11 more with large low profiles this year than with spinners.......(I really love throwing conventional)

Revo beast 40 and concept Z3.

(it really is built dual purpose....only under really heavy loads at the right angle does the line touch the blank....fine with me)

 

There's just something about long cast reels that at least for me.   Feel under utilized on a rod not spaced for them.

And if I'm not getting the max out of such complicated reels.  It's not worth it to me.

 

If you pick up this rod.  See how you like it with the 6k gosa.  I like it with the 6k ballistic.  

 

Scoobydoo - After reading your reply, I checked out the Revo Beast 40 and the Concept Z3 since I had no idea what they were.  I decided that I had enough spinners and really should consider a baitcaster.  I have never owned one, actually, I've never had a reel with level wind.  I used to have an Avet SX and a Penn conventional, but never really got proficient casting them and eventually sold them.   I checked out the Tranx 400 and the Daiwa Lexa WN 400 and watched your video (Thanks!  Great stuff).  I eventually (not sure why it took so long) came across your making snow video and was impressed with the distance you were able to get with the Concept Z3.  From an earlier video it looked like you weren't too impressed with the Z though.  So all this leads me to ask, would you recommend the Z3 over the Tranx 400 or Daiwa Lexa.  Obviously, you get good distance and like the Z3.   What ever I get I will also  get a conventional rod to use on my paddle board or on my occasional party boat or charter boat adventure.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, dano1089 said:

 

Scoobydoo - After reading your reply, I checked out the Revo Beast 40 and the Concept Z3 since I had no idea what they were.  I decided that I had enough spinners and really should consider a baitcaster.  I have never owned one, actually, I've never had a reel with level wind.  I used to have an Avet SX and a Penn conventional, but never really got proficient casting them and eventually sold them.   I checked out the Tranx 400 and the Daiwa Lexa WN 400 and watched your video (Thanks!  Great stuff).  I eventually (not sure why it took so long) came across your making snow video and was impressed with the distance you were able to get with the Concept Z3.  From an earlier video it looked like you weren't too impressed with the Z though.  So all this leads me to ask, would you recommend the Z3 over the Tranx 400 or Daiwa Lexa.  Obviously, you get good distance and like the Z3.   What ever I get I will also  get a conventional rod to use on my paddle board or on my occasional party boat or charter boat adventure.  Thanks!

When you look at the reels there are some things that are just made better.

The Tranx is that to a "T" (whatever that means lol)

It feels the best under load.  Cast beautifully and is a pleasure to use.

Every other reel isn't on it's level.  The closest one I've owned is the revo beast 40.

 

The z 3 takes out all the things that were bad about the z and scales it up in size.

Now I didn't like the z3 due to how rickety and cheap feeling it was...but that doesn't mean it was a bad fishing reel.

One of these days I'll finish the full review...but last I looked there was a blob of caked salt deposits at the base of the handle shaft and I left it there......that was last year....lol  And you'd never now it.  If it were ball bearings there you'd know....(but many other reels are now putting bushing at that locations :)  )

 

I look at all the 13 fishing reels and feel they are overpriced....every single one.  But I still think the z3 is a good reel.

 

Any way you look at it....I feel throwing the big low pros on the sand is more enjoyable than any other type of reel.

 

 

That making snow vid was pretty funny lolol.

What he was referencing was when I almost dumped it over the winter and it was shedding snew.  And goofed on the shimano guy for claiming a 100 yard cast with a frog

((my reason for being there was to test to see if you can magnet fish with a fishing rod and reel....300lb braid on a tranx 500, maxell platinum jigging rod xh and a 2lb magnet :)  )

 

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

When you look at the reels there are some things that are just made better.

The Tranx is that to a "T" (whatever that means lol)

It feels the best under load.  Cast beautifully and is a pleasure to use.

Every other reel isn't on it's level.  The closest one I've owned is the revo beast 40.

 

The z 3 takes out all the things that were bad about the z and scales it up in size.

Now I didn't like the z3 due to how rickety and cheap feeling it was...but that doesn't mean it was a bad fishing reel.

One of these days I'll finish the full review...but last I looked there was a blob of caked salt deposits at the base of the handle shaft and I left it there......that was last year....lol  And you'd never now it.  If it were ball bearings there you'd know....(but many other reels are now putting bushing at that locations :)  )

 

I look at all the 13 fishing reels and feel they are overpriced....every single one.  But I still think the z3 is a good reel.

 

Any way you look at it....I feel throwing the big low pros on the sand is more enjoyable than any other type of reel.

 

 

That making snow vid was pretty funny lolol.

What he was referencing was when I almost dumped it over the winter and it was shedding snew.  And goofed on the shimano guy for claiming a 100 yard cast with a frog

((my reason for being there was to test to see if you can magnet fish with a fishing rod and reel....300lb braid on a tranx 500, maxell platinum jigging rod xh and a 2lb magnet :)  )

 

 

LOL.  Even funnier after hearing the the details.

 

Thanks for your quick response.   So it looks like I'm going for the Tranx.  Now I just have to decide which handle/gear ratio. I may even pick it up tomorrow since tomorrow is BASSAPALOOZA at my local tackle shop - Susquehanna Fishing Tackle.  Store wide sales, door prizes and a chance to fish with Ish Monroe, Russ Lane, Shaw Gribsby or Jason Shay (I never heard of any of them, but I guess they're big name pros.  One of the owners competed in the Bass Master's Classic.

 

I hope it doesn't take me too long to learn how to use a bait caster.

 

Oh and I keep forgetting to ask you if you used the weights or took them out or actually did change them depending on the reel.

 

Thanks again for all of you help.  I'll update you when I get a chance to start using the rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, dano1089 said:

 

LOL.  Even funnier after hearing the the details.

 

Thanks for your quick response.   So it looks like I'm going for the Tranx.  Now I just have to decide which handle/gear ratio. I may even pick it up tomorrow since tomorrow is BASSAPALOOZA at my local tackle shop - Susquehanna Fishing Tackle.  Store wide sales, door prizes and a chance to fish with Ish Monroe, Russ Lane, Shaw Gribsby or Jason Shay (I never heard of any of them, but I guess they're big name pros.  One of the owners competed in the Bass Master's Classic.

 

I hope it doesn't take me too long to learn how to use a bait caster.

 

Oh and I keep forgetting to ask you if you used the weights or took them out or actually did change them depending on the reel.

 

Thanks again for all of you help.  I'll update you when I get a chance to start using the rod.

LOL

a little side note.....So I downloaded the shimano video with the japanese guy.......

added it to my premier pro timeline.....changed the image a bit and the audio's volume...

after I uploaded it...A company claimed copyright on the song....(i get it....and obliged by removing it)

Crazy thing is....I could actually remove it without messing with any other portions of the audio....and I just clicked a single button on youtube......That's pretty impressive stuff......but anyway.

 

If you are learning a baitcaster without having much time on any.  

Start off with all the brakes active....and the spool tension dial set to eliminate any spool drift.  Not tight..but no side to side spool drift.

learn how the bait comes off the rod tip.  

If you have issues with over runs with the max brake setting....give the spool tensioner a quarter turn tighter.

 

If you find it's killing distance and very tame.....and your only over runs are after the bait hits the water.

Train your thumb to stop it at impact.   Or use your thumb and learn feather the cast gradually about halfway between the apex of the cast and impact

(lures that tumble thumb it prior to splash down to straighten the plug out and avoid tangles (not much of an issue with high brake settings as it should keep bait straighter than spinners)

 

As you grow more comfortable go down in braking.

You may realize a slight casting adjustment is needed since the bait is going to shoot off the rod tip more freely.

But I don't suggest hero casting early on...and snap casts are a no no with most baitcasters..especially with long leaders when using braid.

 

Be mindful casting into the wind.....especially for distance...

 

Just food for thought.....

Lexa hd's and abu revo beast 40's have externally adjustable brakes...the revo has both internal and external....

That may prove helpful when learning...as you can turn on 4 internal brakes on the abu and mess with the external dial.

Or on the daiwa you can just stick with external.

 

When in the shop....ask yourself when handliing the tranx.....Since I don't know what I'm doing.....is completely removing the sideplate something I want to do 

 

And...Definitely let me know how you make out and the progress you make.  

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scoob,

I recently watched your video of you casting a Tranx through all of the various magnetic and centrifugal settings and measuring the distance. 

If I remember correctly the 

Tranx’s magnetic control knob got inadvertently bumped into a different setting often for you.  Correct ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk Daiwa with Ish tomorrow you won’t be disappointed lol. Great shop. One of the best in the biz. Wish I could be there. If you want talk Susquehanna River smallie fishing chat up Jason he is a full time guide on the river. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

LOL

a little side note.....So I downloaded the shimano video with the japanese guy.......

added it to my premier pro timeline.....changed the image a bit and the audio's volume...

after I uploaded it...A company claimed copyright on the song....(i get it....and obliged by removing it)

Crazy thing is....I could actually remove it without messing with any other portions of the audio....and I just clicked a single button on youtube......That's pretty impressive stuff......but anyway.

 

If you are learning a baitcaster without having much time on any.  

Start off with all the brakes active....and the spool tension dial set to eliminate any spool drift.  Not tight..but no side to side spool drift.

learn how the bait comes off the rod tip.  

If you have issues with over runs with the max brake setting....give the spool tensioner a quarter turn tighter.

 

If you find it's killing distance and very tame.....and your only over runs are after the bait hits the water.

Train your thumb to stop it at impact.   Or use your thumb and learn feather the cast gradually about halfway between the apex of the cast and impact

(lures that tumble thumb it prior to splash down to straighten the plug out and avoid tangles (not much of an issue with high brake settings as it should keep bait straighter than spinners)

 

As you grow more comfortable go down in braking.

You may realize a slight casting adjustment is needed since the bait is going to shoot off the rod tip more freely.

But I don't suggest hero casting early on...and snap casts are a no no with most baitcasters..especially with long leaders when using braid.

 

Be mindful casting into the wind.....especially for distance...

 

Just food for thought.....

Lexa hd's and abu revo beast 40's have externally adjustable brakes...the revo has both internal and external....

That may prove helpful when learning...as you can turn on 4 internal brakes on the abu and mess with the external dial.

Or on the daiwa you can just stick with external.

 

When in the shop....ask yourself when handliing the tranx.....Since I don't know what I'm doing.....is completely removing the sideplate something I want to do 

 

And...Definitely let me know how you make out and the progress you make.  

That's good stuff right there...great questions and great responses...love reading about thoughts on these reels...love throwing them as mentioned above.  

So...any time on the newer Lexa HD's yet Scoob?

Still like the Tranx over the above in the casting category?  

Side note...my apologies for not getting this little Daiwa Morethan up to you yet...been to d*** busy these days to sleep, eat, etc. it seems...

 

And...I'm interested in any feedback you may have soon regarding this D rod vs any of the newer St. Croix legends which I believe I read might be coming your way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ecks said:

Scoob,

I recently watched your video of you casting a Tranx through all of the various magnetic and centrifugal settings and measuring the distance. 

If I remember correctly the 

Tranx’s magnetic control knob got inadvertently bumped into a different setting often for you.  Correct ?

 

That was the tranx 200.  Yes....for whatever reason in the 3 4 5 realm on the dial with a specific amount of brake pins active.  It would shoot up to a higher brake setting which was very obvious by the decrease in distance.   (some others have mentioned it occurring in the curado K as well.

That was a Tranx 200 which has their "svs infinity" brake which the 300/400 does not offer.  300/400 has their on off pin selection brake.

 

The tranx brakes are centrifugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrk said:

That's good stuff right there...great questions and great responses...love reading about thoughts on these reels...love throwing them as mentioned above.  

So...any time on the newer Lexa HD's yet Scoob?

Still like the Tranx over the above in the casting category?  

Side note...my apologies for not getting this little Daiwa Morethan up to you yet...been to d*** busy these days to sleep, eat, etc. it seems...

 

And...I'm interested in any feedback you may have soon regarding this D rod vs any of the newer St. Croix legends which I believe I read might be coming your way?

Hey brotha!

I haven't touched the new Lexas yet.

They look to have been revised some.  

Whether those revisions are improvements....I haven't a clue.

I like the tranx 400 a bit more in the warm and fuzzies department.

The non handle side plate of the abu revo beast 40 has a little play in it when retrieving under load.  Not a floppy loosey goosey type play.  But it rocks enough to be well aware of it.

After gouging the handle shaft when drag testing the  Abu.  They sent me two replacements.  One for the gent from Warbaits who sent it to me.  One for me to keep...And I checked it on all three and it was there.  So it's a design element.  

 

I like to fine tune my casting brakes as I go.  That's the one thing I don't like about the 400 tranx reels.  I've fished daiwa baitcaster the most over the past 20 years.  And it's something I found to be an advantage if done right.  

So for some conditions and baits/ rigs the abu is better.  

Something about the spool size and the brake I prefer over the larger revo toro beast 50

 

Don't worry about it....no harm no foul...I'm in the same boat you are.  

On top of that the steez ct 700 I was going to compare it to was defect.   The worm was bad (replaced) 

And they seem to be drastically different reels for different' purposes so it would have proved a bad comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, Shipwreck said:

Talk Daiwa with Ish tomorrow you won’t be disappointed lol. Great shop. One of the best in the biz. Wish I could be there. If you want talk Susquehanna River smallie fishing chat up Jason he is a full time guide on the river. 

Yep.  I love SFT.  been going there for years.   The deals at today’s big event weren’t quite as good as I’d have liked, but there was a good crowd.  Ish was a cool dude.  He talked up the Daiwa Lexa and I might have bit if they would’ve had the 300.  The 400 felt too big.  Mike helped me and I ended up with the Tranx 401. I didn’t get a chance to talk to Jason, but I really need to learn to how to catch Smallies since I live so close to river so I might get him or Mike to take me and my grandson out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 2:47 PM, scoobydoo said:

That was the tranx 200.  Yes....for whatever reason in the 3 4 5 realm on the dial with a specific amount of brake pins active.  It would shoot up to a higher brake setting which was very obvious by the decrease in distance.   (some others have mentioned it occurring in the curado K as well.

That was a Tranx 200 which has their "svs infinity" brake which the 300/400 does not offer.  300/400 has their on off pin selection brake.

 

The tranx brakes are centrifugal

 

On 8/10/2019 at 0:55 PM, jrk said:

That's good stuff right there...great questions and great responses...love reading about thoughts on these reels...love throwing them as mentioned above.  

So...any time on the newer Lexa HD's yet Scoob?

Still like the Tranx over the above in the casting category?  

Side note...my apologies for not getting this little Daiwa Morethan up to you yet...been to d*** busy these days to sleep, eat, etc. it seems...

 

And...I'm interested in any feedback you may have soon regarding this D rod vs any of the newer St. Croix legends which I believe I read might be coming your way?

For what’s worth, the guy at my local tackle shop thought the new Lexa would be out in September or so and that it would worth be waiting for over the current.  Some attempt at sealing to match the Tranx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.