scoobydoo

The new top dog Daiwa.... Tournament Ballistic 11' 2-8 ounce First cast in slow motion Total rod weight 11.9 oz ST CROIX LEGEND 10'6 3/4-4 weighs 12.2

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Just weighed the rod.....I thought it was light....but didn't realize it was under 12 ounces

In comparison the new St croix legend with torzites  10'6 .75-4 ounce rod weighs 12.2

That's pretty damn impressive.

Hope it doesn't suffer in the fragility department.....only time will tell. 

18 mins ago, justafisher said:

Are these just new additions to the ballistic line ? The 3 piece models look unchanged.

Yes. The 3 piece is unchanged. 

7 hours ago, justafisher said:

Are these just new additions to the ballistic line ? The 3 piece models look unchanged.

THe non 13 footers are  new not related to any of the older rods in terms of blanks guides etc

On 11/5/2018 at 10:06 PM, scoobydoo said:

Just weighed the rod.....I thought it was light....but didn't realize it was under 12 ounces

In comparison the new St croix legend with torzites  10'6 .75-4 ounce rod weighs 12.2

That's pretty damn impressive.

Hope it doesn't suffer in the fragility department.....only time will tell. 

Are there any dealers in NJ that even stock these rods? I would love to check out one of the new 10’6” or 11’ models and give em a feel.

Even TD has them as special order.

I’m thinking of getting the 11’ Ballistic for bait fishing in South Jersey (usually North Wildwood).  Distance is often needed where I fish due to the gradual drop off (great for swimming but not fishing!).  I will use a spinning reel. 

I’m hoping Scoobie or another person that owns the 11’ would be kind enough to answer a few questions and give guidance. 

I most often throw from 3 to 6 oz and a clam.  Is this a good rod for that range without loosing distance on either end?

Is there a better rod for this?   One of the 13’3” Ballistics?

Any reel suggestions for the Ballistic?  I often wade into the surf and have the best results when I hold my rod.  My reel does get wet but I don’t think I’ve ever reeled underwater.  Is a long cast spinner needed?   I currently have a VR50 with 20# PP v2, a VR175 with 40# and a Saragosa SW 6000 with 30#. I’m thinking of buying a Stradic FL 5000  multiple uses or possibly an Ultegra CI4 if a long cast reel is recommended. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a EDGE SURF rod , it’s an 11’ model 3 x 6! Oz , it weighs a tad over 8 Oz’s  I don’t surf fish so durability wise who knows ? However based on the other 8 EDGE I own and fish heavily no issue , broke a guide on one but I did that, not rods fault ! 

5 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

I have a EDGE SURF rod , it’s an 11’ model 3 x 6! Oz , it weighs a tad over 8 Oz’s  I don’t surf fish so durability wise who knows ? However based on the other 8 EDGE I own and fish heavily no issue , broke a guide on one but I did that, not rods fault ! 

Thanks, but I wasn't asking about EDGE rods.

Does anyone have any additional feedback that they would like to share for the 11' Daiwa Tournament Ballistic TNBA30-335G?  Thanks!

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, scoobydoo said:

20181103_215502.jpg

Scooby:  This probably reveals more about my strange psychology than anything else, but how come that photo has your old Avatar?  Bring back Velma!  (Sorry for the thread heist.  Please resume your on topic discussions.)

3 hours ago, dano1089 said:

Thanks, but I wasn't asking about EDGE rods.

Does anyone have any additional feedback that they would like to share for the 11' Daiwa Tournament Ballistic TNBA30-335G?  Thanks!

I built a 13'3 2-10 ballistic.

I think if you're throwing clams you'd be better off with the 11.

I don't think I could keep a clam belly in tact with the 13 :)

That's just me though....I seldom try to blast clams for distance (hmmmmm.....does that not sound right :)  )

The 11 is an awesome all around rod....I don't think it's the longest casting stick with a spinner.  The guide layout just feels a bit restrictive.......When I say that..it reminds me of  the original St Croix legends.  Effotless max distance..which was good......but max distance comes up a tad short.  

I fished the 11 more with large low profiles this year than with spinners.......(I really love throwing conventional)

Revo beast 40 and concept Z3.

(it really is built dual purpose....only under really heavy loads at the right angle does the line touch the blank....fine with me)

There's just something about long cast reels that at least for me.   Feel under utilized on a rod not spaced for them.

And if I'm not getting the max out of such complicated reels.  It's not worth it to me.

If you pick up this rod.  See how you like it with the 6k gosa.  I like it with the 6k ballistic.  

52 mins ago, bmac said:

Scooby:  This probably reveals more about my strange psychology than anything else, but how come that photo has your old Avatar?  Bring back Velma!  (Sorry for the thread heist.  Please resume your on topic discussions.)

I couldn't find her lol....I had flippy droppy suntan lotion girl......can't find her now either.......sigh

At least It's christmas in august 

31 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I built a 13'3 2-10 ballistic.

I think if you're throwing clams you'd be better off with the 11.

I don't think I could keep a clam belly in tact with the 13 :)

That's just me though....I seldom try to blast clams for distance (hmmmmm.....does that not sound right :)  )

The 11 is an awesome all around rod....I don't think it's the longest casting stick with a spinner.  The guide layout just feels a bit restrictive.......When I say that..it reminds me of  the original St Croix legends.  Effotless max distance..which was good......but max distance comes up a tad short.  

I fished the 11 more with large low profiles this year than with spinners.......(I really love throwing conventional)

Revo beast 40 and concept Z3.

(it really is built dual purpose....only under really heavy loads at the right angle does the line touch the blank....fine with me)

There's just something about long cast reels that at least for me.   Feel under utilized on a rod not spaced for them.

And if I'm not getting the max out of such complicated reels.  It's not worth it to me.

If you pick up this rod.  See how you like it with the 6k gosa.  I like it with the 6k ballistic.  

Thanks scoobydoo!

I went for the 11 footer.  When the price dropped from $320 to $304 on a certain website, I just couldn't resist.  It's interesting how the price went up to $412 shortly after I hit the button.  Even $412 isn't too bad given the list price.

I'm sure I'll be trying all of my reels.  There is something to be said for having an ultralight set up especially for plugging, so I may stick to the VR50 or a Stradic with lighter line for lures.  I like using heavier line and the lighter reels don't quite have the capacity needed.

I used to have a 10'6" 1-4 Legend with low-riders, but sold it and went to a custom 10'6" with K guides, it's just can't handle the weight I need for bait.  And I do have the 11' Legend with low-riders, but it's still does quite handle the weight needed sometimes and the longer top section is a pain to transport.  I was always able to get respectable distance with all three of them within their range.  I don't think I saw a big difference in distance between the two 10'6" set-ups.

Thanks again!

48 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I couldn't find her lol....I had flippy droppy suntan lotion girl......can't find her now either.......sigh

At least It's christmas in august 

Christmas is my favorite holiday!

15 mins ago, dano1089 said:

Thanks scoobydoo!

I went for the 11 footer.  When the price dropped from $320 to $304 on a certain website, I just couldn't resist.  It's interesting how the price went up to $412 shortly after I hit the button.  Even $412 isn't too bad given the list price.

I'm sure I'll be trying all of my reels.  There is something to be said for having an ultralight set up especially for plugging, so I may stick to the VR50 or a Stradic with lighter line for lures.  I like using heavier line and the lighter reels don't quite have the capacity needed.

I used to have a 10'6" 1-4 Legend with low-riders, but sold it and went to a custom 10'6" with K guides, it's just can't handle the weight I need for bait.  And I do have the 11' Legend with low-riders, but it's still does quite handle the weight needed sometimes and the longer top section is a pain to transport.  I was always able to get respectable distance with all three of them within their range.  I don't think I saw a big difference in distance between the two 10'6" set-ups.

Thanks again!

That'll be a great comparison

I was told that every new st croix surf rod sku will be sent my way in the next couple weeks.  

You'l have your ballistic sooner.....Lemme know your thoughts on how they compare.  I remember it's action being a and recovery being bit slower.  But  a blast to throw and fish