scoobydoo

The new top dog Daiwa.... Tournament Ballistic 11' 2-8 ounce First cast in slow motion Total rod weight 11.9 oz ST CROIX LEGEND 10'6 3/4-4 weighs 12.2

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Round valley reservoir is a hop skip and a jump away so I figured lemme make a quick toss.

I threw it using the Penn  6500 Long cast and the Daiwa Ballistic LT 6000

I wasn't sure how that first guide being placed only 24" from the reel seat would handle such a large spool.....But surprisingly that hard choke didn't result in any line slap.  Although it also didn't have that unimpeded ROCKET feel as I've experienced on some other rods designed for LC reels.

This was a no effort cast using a 3 ounce egg sinker.  

Comparing it to the 3-6 tiralejo the Ballistic's action is a tad softer as it loads a bit further down the blank which makes it easier to prevent your top arm from buckling.  *Which is why I suspect there are so many 11 Tiralejo 3-6's for sale in the bst...it could easily be a 3-8.  And it's fast action takes excellent timing and technique to effectively load.  Which can be tricky in certain conditions and surroundings

The 3-8 legend in comparison as well as the avid.  Are even softer than the ballistic

Worth mentioning the Ballistic comes with a pretty nice hard plastic, fabric covered padded zipper case and a counter balance.  Never having owned a surf rod with a case before......It's pretty cool...I have some high end japanese long rods with chincy neoprene cases that just collect dust....this one will definitely see some use.

It's overall weight surprisingly felt at home paired withthe 11 ounce ballistic LT 6000 which is the same physical size as a BG 4000 / saltiga 4k and same capacity as well.

(Full disclosure.....I purchased this through Daiwa's VIP program at a discounted price.  As with every purchase I've made through that program I am not required to talk favorably about the products or as far as I'm aware of....even talk about them on public forums)

The two things I'm not 100% on board with in regards to the design.....I don't like the reel seat lock nut facing the tip side of the butt.....The butt over tip design I like.  But it seems quite a bit of painted/ epoxied tip section needs to be inserted to lock tight.   Other rods with this design.  It's bare graphite.  Curious how this will perform over time

If you decided to throw a conventional on it......only under a very heavy load does the line touch the blank when pulling vertically....I'd bet it could pull dual purpose duty which I'm definitely gonna try out.

Edited by scoobydoo

It seems to be the exact same Daiwa ballistic  rod I purchased about 8 years ago. 

Did Daiwa redesigned the Ballistic models and call them now “Tournement” ?

21 mins ago, levari said:

It seems to be the exact same Daiwa ballistic  rod I purchased about 8 years ago. 

Did Daiwa redesigned the Ballistic models and call them now “Tournement” ?

No clue.  I know they had the saltiga ballistics and the saltiga surf that were priced around 150 to 300$ depending on the series...then they had the 13 footers.

I think that was the last time they had the interline rods back then too.

Same all red color.....

These are priced around 500$

Do your recall what kind of joint your had?  

Edited by scoobydoo

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

No clue.  I know they had the saltiga ballistics and the saltiga surf that were priced around 150 to 300$ depending on the series...then they had the 13 footers.

Same all red color.....

I owned both, the Saltist Surf and the Ballistic. I got rid of the Surf and I now own only  the Ballistic (13.3”). The joints look the same as the current model ( per the picture). The specifications for power, action  and line rating  are the same as well.  I wonder if anything was changed other than the label..

Edited by levari

9 mins ago, levari said:

I owned both, the Saltist Surf and the Ballistic. I got rid of the Surf and I now own only  the Ballistic (13.3”). The joints look the same as the current model ( per the picture). The specifications for power, action  and line rating  are the same as well.  I wonder if anything was changed other than the label..

In terms of the "same" do you mean the 13 footer or the 11?

Is your reel seat's locking nut on the tip side or butt side?

I'm trying to remember the last time I ever used a spinner with the lock nut on the top.

I wasn't a fan of it on the tiralejo's but it sorta had to be there for the slidey reel seat design.

LOoks like the ballistic is the only one out of daiwa's entire surf range to do that (or at least have a pic showing it)  wondering if it's an error..and I'll be damned if my knuckle doesn't love to sit right in that sharp /  hard edged gap dead smack in the center.  While the bottom has a nice smooth transition to that contoured metal check.

20181103_215500.jpg

20181103_215502.jpg

8 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

In terms of the "same" do you mean the 13 footer or the 11?

Is your reel seat's locking nut on the tip side or butt side?

I'm trying to remember the last time I ever used a spinner with the lock nut on the top.

I wasn't a fan of it on the tiralejo's but it sorta had to be there for the slidey reel seat design.

LOoks like the ballistic is the only one out of daiwa's entire surf range to do that (or at least have a pic showing it)  wondering if it's an error..and I'll be damned if my knuckle doesn't love to sit right in that sharp /  hard edged gap dead smack in the center.  While the bottom has a nice smooth transition to that contoured metal check.

20181103_215500.jpg

20181103_215502.jpg

• Each rod accommodates both Spinning and Conventional casting reels

that’s the reason why the nut lock is on top. To accommodate conventional use.

few years ago I moved  few guides to make the rod a Spinning rod.

Edited by levari

Just now, levari said:
  • Each rod accommodates both Spinning and Conventional casting reels

that’s the reason why the nut lock is on top. To accommodate conventional use.

I was aware of that for the 13 footers....but the traditional lengths I'm surprised that carried over.   

I'd bet 10% at most throw conventional on the 9-11 footers.

Which you definitely don't want bottom threads.

But nobody in their right mind would want top threads on a spinner 

Willing to bet someone was asleep at the wheel on that one.

It's far from the end of the world.  

I'm just bitchin because with an 11 ounce spinner that hold 300 yards of 30lb...it's gonna see a ton of use

18 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I was aware of that for the 13 footers....but the traditional lengths I'm surprised that carried over.   

I'd bet 10% at most throw conventional on the 9-11 footers.

Which you definitely don't want bottom threads.

But nobody in their right mind would want top threads on a spinner 

Willing to bet someone was asleep at the wheel on that one.

It's far from the end of the world.  

I'm just bitchin because with an 11 ounce spinner that hold 300 yards of 30lb...it's gonna see a ton of use

I wish those rods were moderate-fast like the legends. I could have made a good use of them in Mexico when I go hunting for roosters..

years ago ago I recorded this video:

Edited by levari

10 mins ago, levari said:

I wish those rods were moderate-fast like the legends. I could have made a good use of them in Mexico when I go hunting for roosters..

years ago ago I recorded this video:

Nice.

That's the 13?

I'm building the 2-10 blank now. (stupid science project.....)

Feels like it would be a bear of a stick to plug with

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Nice.

That's the 13?

I'm building the 2-10 blank now. (stupid science project.....)

Feels like it would be a bear of a stick to plug with

Yes, that’s the 13. I wish it was more moderate. It was the last trip I used it. 

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Same all red color.....

The answer:

I have the 13’ ballistic 35. The joints have all locked up nice and tight. And come apart easily . Ive been impressed with the rod . It stood up to some high drag for an extended time with a large lemon shark that about broke me. 

What is the split on the 11 footer? 50/50?

6 hours ago, levari said:

The answer:

I figured as much with the 13's

The other rods in the series are new

1 hour ago, justafisher said:

I have the 13’ ballistic 35. The joints have all locked up nice and tight. And come apart easily . Ive been impressed with the rod . It stood up to some high drag for an extended time with a large lemon shark that about broke me. 

What is the split on the 11 footer? 50/50?

Yes 50/50

Fished it for a few hours today with a ballistic lt6000 which I paired it up with as a goof..........................long story short..that may be a daily driver

I can't recall throwing a setup capable of throwing the weights this thing throws.....and it being so weightless...........The reel weighs 11 ounces.   And the rod can throw outside it's range.....From 3/4 oz bucktails , redifins to 5 ounces and a head ......................it loved it.  And it's more sensitive than my 9'6 black hole.  My buddy and I were having a good laugh about it too....He's never thrown an 11 foot rod...and was throwing the old 10' tiralejo which is a buggy whip....

My first cast with a Hopkins.....Into a stiff east wind....I was like this is new .....I had to adjust to the gear ratio of the reel too....24" per turn seem about accurate...I thought it was a typo.....The 6k ballistic lt is the same footprint as the 4k saltiga and a tiny bit smaller than a 6k gosa....(300 yards of 30lb braid)

That 13 footer is a "reluctant" to load fast action if you timing isn't perfect.  The action of the 11' want's to work with you....Like the 3/4-4 st croix legend....with more bawls....I'm just sceptical of the guide layout....I can get good distance with it.......But just like the original 10'6 legend felt the layout throttled the "extra effort"