Baccigalup

Costco harmonic flooring moisture barrier

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Ok i bought the flooring and just need the time to start doing the room.  Fam room is a slab so i plan on spraying with foundation armor to seal the concrete.  I know i need a moisture barrier and the harmonics flooring already has an underlayment so im looking for anyone who has used this before and knows whats a good moisture barrier to use.  I am looking at home depot premium brand its orange and and looks thicker than the standard 6 mil plastic they sell but i am not sure if using a thicker barrier will mess up the floor since it already has an underlayment or if i just stick with the standard 6 mil one.   No real info online.

Thanks

Got this project started finally.   Decided to put an electric floor under the harmonics since it's over a slab.   Ripped up the carpet and pre ran the electric from the basement, patched up the walls and  painted  the room.   Now getting ready for the floor.     Wasted money on the concrete sealer as the floor under the carpet had vinyl tile glued to the floor.  Leaving it there as it's a good moisture barrier in and of itself and just running a moisture barrier of 6 mil plastic under the heat mat and floor.   Hopefully get a dent in it this weekend.

20190402_120354.jpg

If you're doing electric radiant, use the ditra or something similar as an underlayment. It will provide a moisture barrier and a textured mat for the heater. Not sure about your acoustic floor and if it's compatible. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heated floor is embedded in an underlayment.  Flooring has a foam backing as well so I have to be careful not to pad too much.     Lot of do's and dont's with this stuff.  

Edited by Baccigalup

Making progress finally.  Hope to get this completed this weekend.  1st row was a pain to get down and cut.  Then everything shifted.  Base gaps a little wider than I wanted but that's what they make moulding for.  Wanna get this done so I can go fishing before I start my new job.

20190418_234903.jpg

Nice work. I've done 4 laminate floors in my life. The first was definitely the hardest but once you get the hang of it, they fly. Having the right tools helps. If you can do it with all the base moulding and door casings removed, it's that much easier. The last two I did had neo angle walls and closets. Oscillating multi tools can be your best friend in that case. 

9 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Nice work. I've done 4 laminate floors in my life. The first was definitely the hardest but once you get the hang of it, they fly. Having the right tools helps. If you can do it with all the base moulding and door casings removed, it's that much easier. The last two I did had neo angle walls and closets. Oscillating multi tools can be your best friend in that case. 

I am not mr. Angle when it comes to cutting.  Struggle a bit with the saw but for the most part it gets done.  Getting around the fireplace might be a challenge.   I hope to have this mostly completed today

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've done a few flooring projects. Cardboard template are my best friend around door jams, fireplaces, etc....And I often find that I need to cut that template a few times before I get it right.  I know that pros are far better than I around scribing and probably head right to scribing on the flooring material.  I'm just not that good.   Good luck

Edited by rathrbefishn

Actually the angles around the fireplace weren't that bad.   I have 3/4 of floor down today and I couldn't have planned the fireplace any better if I tried.  Piece ended right at the edge of the 45 I need to cut.

15557229499776964429715175493294.jpg

15557230074089174177458424785388.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.  Floor is finished  just finishing up the moulding and then have the step to do.  Probably stain the top and paint the back and risers white.     Slow and painful but worth it in the end.  Hopefully put an end to it this weekend and finish the electric hookup for the heat mat.

20190422_143345.jpg

20190422_143257.jpg

Did I mention I had a cracked foundation?  Dont remember that.   When builder did my addition a few months later I saw a vertical crack in the block a few blocks in length.  Hairline crack but when basement was dark I could see daylight through it.  So far I have had no issues  knock wood.   Think we caught it quick and I waterproofed everything pretty good.    I follow up on the caulking every few years  and I sprayed foundation armour on the entire thing Inside and out to harden the concrete more.  Thinking about painting the foundation with a sealer at some point. But inside is sealed and thorosealed and outside is caulked and armoured.