Who runs a pilot ?

Jim McFeeley

2012 Pilot - always air down and never had a problem.  I've seen several on the sand and if you do a search here you'll see that they're pretty regularly discussed. 

However, latest model is AWD, as opposed to true 4WD on the prior years so I can't comment on the new ones.  

Just b/c you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD....
(what you do DOES make a difference - be accountable)
BigWave Dave

I have a 2010 Pilot and have been driving it on the beach since 2010.............IBSP,SSP area.......not an issue. Never been stuck or had issues. I have driven by/and or assisted many others, but no problems at all with the 2010 Pilot. Then again the 2010 was a true 4WD and manually set up. It was available in 1st,2nd and reverse with the push of a button up until 20 mph and worked perfectly. Can not answer for models beyond the 2010.

2011 owner . I don't think any of the Pilots have ever been true 4WD. My generation had the VTM4 system which is great . The newer gen pilots have I-VTM4 which is smart system , i.e. It decides for its self where it directs power.

Without getting into specifics , Hondas system directs power to the wheels with traction which is what you want . Many other systems direct power to the wheel that is slipping , which is useless on sand . 

Edited by connman

We got one of the wife this year would have gone with a brand new one. Nope new ones do not come

with the tow package installed. The hell with that, plus we bolth liked the older style 2015. boxy!

So far I like it, better yet she does! Note it is not a small vehicle. Have not had it on the beach not

what we bought it for but it does say 4wd on the back??

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

I watched the vid and it looks pretty capable. I’d like to see them try it in soft sand and aired down to about 20 psi...

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra

i have a 2012, tried it on the outer banks last year without airing down and got stuck pretty much immediately in the soft stuff, in a car with 2 little kids, and my wife, in the middle of august, like an idiot.  let air out and then we were fine. so if i can give any advice, let the air out before hitting the sand.  saw a couple other pilots out there, theyre probably one of the more popular "daily driver/occasional baech buggy" rigs out there.