Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnyq

GSB 108-1L

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am on my way to the mudhole store near Orlando Florida looking to build the GSB 108 1L

i was going to go with 25,16,12, then 4 single foot 8 to tip. I would greatly appreciate some opinions and recommendations I’m looking to throw half ounce bucktails to 2 ounce swimmers

You might want to pickup a 20 and a 10, as well, in case you need them to make a good looking bull’s eye.  Depends on your reel, of course.

My 108L is built with a BKWAGs … 25 collector, 20,10 to a BLDBAG 6 choker and four BLDBAG 6 runners.  Casts great with a VM150.

It is so light I find myself casting with a wristy motion, like a FW Bass rod. Could have made the butt 1” or 2”s shorter.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, Talltale said:

You might want to pickup a 20 and a 10, as well, in case you need them to make a good looking bull’s eye.  Depends on your reel, of course.

My 108L is built with a BKWAGs … 25 collector, 20,10 to a BLDBAG 6 choker and four BLDBAG 6 runners.  Casts great with a VM150.

It is so light I find myself casting with a wristy motion, like a FW Bass rod. Could have made the butt 1” or 2”s shorter.

Can u elaborate on trimming the butt? A 1081L cut down a little has had my interest for a while now 

Sounds like he may have built the rear grip a little longer than he needs, no need to trim the blank for any other reason.You can mock up your layout on tape arbors and move things around till you get what you need, no need to guess on grip lengths, reel seat position and guide set up. 

Spoonplugger1 has the right idea.  It’s a great blank as it is. No need to trim.

Probably the most important advantage of a custom rod is getting the butt length/reel position that is right for the owner.  When my 1081L was built I didn't know better.   The butt length was made the same size as that of my Rainshadow SW1088, which is the equivalent of a GSB1081M.  While the butt length is fine for the medium action rod with a 1 - 4 OZ lure rating, the 1081L can get away with a shorter butt.  Only by practice casting with different reel positions as Spoonplugger1 suggests will you find what is best for you.

Wait till you throw an SP Minnow with that rod.  You'll love it.

What real seats have you guys used (size) and how far from the butt did you locate the bottom of the real seat?  I’m going to tape up the rod and practice different configurations but I’ll probably start with the bottom of the real seat 18 inches from the bottom of the blank

for the reel seat size it depends on the reel your using and what feels comfortable in your had. as far as reel seat position that a good place to start but i would find that position by just taping the reel on not moving the seat around

21 hours ago, johnnyq said:

"... how far from the butt did you locate the bottom of the real seat?" 

It is the same as playing other sports like hockey, baseball and lacrosse.  You know which sticks fell right, which do not and how you like to grip them.  Over time and with experience an opinion is formed about the best reel placement.