FatTailWagging

Retrieve / Action for big wary fish

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

What action are you trying to impart on a lure (or bucktail) and what retrieved do you use to achieve it for big, wise and wary fish?

I am always looking for the larger fish to take my plug.

I use large wood and roll it slow to make it look like a large,unafraid meal that does not know it is being stalked.

my idea is that a larger slow moving prey will not be hard to catch and easy to find due to it's solid vibe and throb.

moving it slow makes for it to be in the strike zone longer also it allows the fish a chance to find it if there is one in the area.

I have had many nights where there were small fish around and I using a large swimmer got bashed hard one time and land one fish that's bigger than whats showing itself out there.

I keep plugging and it does pay off even if it's just one fish.

has always worked for me so,i use it almost all the time.

the pic shared below is one of those nights.

caught several small fish on rubber,switched to my bigger stick and worked the slim,blind hound dog and it payed off with a 25lb'er.

HH

5bddf4ea5a5a3_HHPlugWerxLDP089.JPG.332cafa9f0dde4837019d5361f574593.JPG

No rule is set in stone where Stripers at concerned. My largest hit as I lifted a jointed RedFin out of the water. 

There’s absolutely, positively, no single answer to this question. Being able to read a following fish and having a variety of tricks up your sleeve helps, but keep in mind, they don’t get big by accident. 

6 hours ago, XBMX said:

No rule is set in stone where Stripers at concerned. My largest hit as I lifted a jointed RedFin out of the water. 

4 hours ago, Seadogg said:

There’s absolutely, positively, no single answer to this question. Being able to read a following fish and having a variety of tricks up your sleeve helps, but keep in mind, they don’t get big by accident. 

Yup and double yup. You can put odds in your favor...fishing at night, low night, bait, etc etc. Still I have caught some nice bass in full daylight on flatwater at the wrong time. The "irregularities" are what's fun. It's boring AF to say only fish at night with eels on the new moon, etc etc. You learn a lot through failure as well, painful though it may be.