Angler #1

Did these Poachers Get a break?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

In today's Barnstable news we had two New Hampshire gentlemen and one Massachusetts fishermen before the court system for violation of marine fishing regulations,[catching over the commercial limit of Sea Bass] Violation of marine regulation[ fishing with out a commercial permit] Violation of marine regulation[ In possession of  black sea bass out of season [june 19] in Sandwich.  All three were charged with the same charges and admission to sufficient facts on each charge . All charges continued with out findings,probation dismissed on recommendation of probation department . The following

Shui K Chan,  71  Wellington   Hill Road Manchester       Chau K Lee 62 Pelham Street Nashua,     Zhong M Chen 54  Penn Street, Quincy were ordered to pay the court cost of $250 in court fees

 

As one can see from what I see printed in the Barnstable District Court dispositions on October 26 2018 these fine up standing poachers got a great break and basically allowed to get another free ride to poach again . It did not say how many fish they had , nor does it state how many were short , but once again the fine work of our Environmental Police Department in catching these poachers have not been justified in the punishment against these violators of the Aquatic resource environment.  Where is the justice for the resource ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's no wonder that the EPO's have lessening desires to do the leg work while the courts asses a punishment equal to a fraction of a day's poaching profits! No fear of damage means full speed ahead for poachers.

 

If the fine for speeding was 50 cents, we'd all be speeding. Whats to discourage poaching with minimal risk?

Edited by Ba Ba Buoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

...……..

As one can see from what I see printed in the Barnstable District Court dispositions on October 26 2018 these fine up standing poachers got a great break and basically allowed to get another free ride to poach again . It did not say how many fish they had , nor does it state how many were short , but once again the fine work of our Environmental Police Department in catching these poachers have not been justified in the punishment against these violators of the Aquatic resource environment.  Where is the justice for the resource ?

 

When I read these judgements, I am reminded of John 1:23...……."I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness".    :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure these guys will be back at it again in the spring. How many fish do you think these three have poach over their lives. It’s sickening.  The fisheries laws seem to be considered optional or are run on the honor system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Sea Bass are a valuable fish in the Chinese market. They cook it with black bean sauce and serve it in their restaurants. It is a $30 plate in some restaurants.  

 

Fines with teeth can only stop this from occurring. If the fine had been $5000 it would have slowed it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If these guys had no criminal record and It was their first time in court it's not unusual for the judge to give breaks.........These things we just don't know about.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CapeDave said:

White man would have been hung!

Yup...would have probably been a more substantial fine if they were white and spoke English...think this was the boat caught in Sandwich. IMHO..they knew boats were checked more routinely in Taylor Point, so they put in at Sandwich. They were probably back out there the following week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TonyO said:

Yup...would have probably been a more substantial fine if they were white and spoke English...think this was the boat caught in Sandwich. IMHO..they knew boats were checked more routinely in Taylor Point, so they put in at Sandwich. They were probably back out there the following week

Tony please do not make this  something it is not. The names on the blotter may not speak in the English language or there skin color may not be the same as ours, That is not the reasons why I posted this . Those reasons are strictly legal in nature and any one could do the same as what you suggested no matter how they spoke or color they were born with. I hope all help to maintain that as a guideline when we post our opinions . The nationality of the person is not part of the process that I brought up here and have asked an opinion from all who respond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Tony could have phrased it better, but I see his point. Black sea bass are highly prized in the Asian restaurant community and are in high demand.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, bob_G said:

Perhaps Tony could have phrased it better, but I see his point. Black sea bass are highly prized in the Asian restaurant community and are in high demand.

 

 

But, what if they were white perch being served on say 5th Ave...……………………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, b-ware said:

But, what if they were white perch being served on say 5th Ave...……………………….

Don't know about white perch? Carl's topic is black sea bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Don't know about white perch? Carl's topic is black sea bass.

 

My guess is it was his unsuccessful attempt to use juxtaposition as a rhetorical device.  :laugh:

Edited by Joe G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, CapeDave said:

White man would have been hung!

White man would have been let go on the scene ... saw it happen first hand. The older guy kept two good size bass and EPO caught him with the bass in his possession and let him go. The laws do not pertain to everyone unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.