Spigola

Tog jigging help requested.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am reaching out to some of my old friends on the Bottom Fishing Forum.  I haven't been blackfishing/togging in several years and see that tog jigs are all the rage today.  I am thinking of fishing for my favorite bottom dwellers using these jigs.  Now the questions;

Which brand jigs are worth purchasing and what sizes?

Is my St Croix 7 foot Inshore Avid MH spinning enough rod to fish jigs?

What weight braid would you guys consider to spool my reel with?

Just remember, you may see me again.  :devl:

I think you are good with that Lou.  Jigs are jigs, I'm not getting into that silliness, except for quality of hooks.  Dan Tinmans jigs are good, and have been reviewed well. I'd get a variety from 3/4 to 2.5 or 3 oz.  I'm not thrilled fishing even the 3 oz, certainly nothing heavier, for me.  Shape is whatever you are comfortable with, I like banana/sparkie and just started using the football.  30 lb or lighter braid, whatever you are comfortable with.  

I hope I/we see you.

4 hours ago, Spigola said:

I am reaching out to some of my old friends on the Bottom Fishing Forum.  I haven't been blackfishing/togging in several years and see that tog jigs are all the rage today.  I am thinking of fishing for my favorite bottom dwellers using these jigs.  Now the questions;

Which brand jigs are worth purchasing and what sizes?

Is my St Croix 7 foot Inshore Avid MH spinning enough rod to fish jigs?

What weight braid would you guys consider to spool my reel with?

Just remember, you may see me again.  :devl:

LOL  good to hear from you Lou !!!

Oh so you only come down here when you need advice ??

What have we done to you  ? that you dont come for a cup of espresso ??

Exactly what Tom says, For me IMHO I am not comfy with a spinner, for this,  I use either a baitcaster, or a small conventional, a baitcaster can be had for short change. Spinner dont have the torque for straight up and down if you happen to lay in to a nice fish.

I have been going over the fight in my head....after the initial hook set, I never ever use the reel to winch a BIG fish up, while he is still trying to go back down to the bottom.  I set the hook and hold him off the bottom until he stops trying to go down, then I start cranking. I know guys will disagree but IMO you need a big drag, not a big reel or rod.. This 22.5 was caught on a St Croix Mojo spinning rod with 20 pound test. I fished with him last week, he is using a rod that would be better suited to fresh water trout fishing. lol

Image result for Dustin Strehl

Agree with everything said so far.  In the interest of simplicity, anything you use for light fluke bucktailing in the summer can be used effectively for jigging blackfish.  For me that is an ambassadeur 5500 size with 20lb. braid sometimes with the levelwind removed as I think it might help the jig get to the bottom faster especially with current.  I just prefer conventional but a lot of guys use spinners.  Agree on banana jigs 1-3oz.  Prefer 1 1/2-2 oz..   3 oz. is as far as I'd go and as Tom said it's pushing it.  I tried 4 oz. and it was too much.  3/4oz. isn't enough for me at least where I like to fish.

I went two weeks ago and it was the time I used a tog jig. Had fun and limited out and kept with the jig all day. Depth and current play a big part on jig size. We where using 30 and 40 pound braid. Water depth was 18 - 24' and the jigs where 1 - 1 1/2 oz. Skinner jig and something else a friend gave me. Going out tomorrow.  I have some Joe Baggs I plan to try if I can find them. I plan to give the Jigs another try a lot of fun. I take some snap shots.

Lou 

50 mins ago, Slayer said:

I have been going over the fight in my head....after the initial hook set, I never ever use the reel to winch a BIG fish up, while he is still trying to go back down to the bottom.  I set the hook and hold him off the bottom until he stops trying to go down, then I start cranking. I know guys will disagree but IMO you need a big drag, not a big reel or rod.. This 22.5 was caught on a St Croix Mojo spinning rod with 20 pound test. I fished with him last week, he is using a rod that would be better suited to fresh water trout fishing. lol

Image result for Dustin Strehl

Nice tog...:)

Oh, look at you, Lou! Back in the game? And I just told the story of my buying your new custom 1143f because you couldn't use it.

I'm too new to jigging, so I got nothing solid for you. I, as always, dig into the subject and can offer that you probably want to go lighter on the braid. The guys I talk to who do this well are using 20lb or less. Some use 10lb. I spooled with 15 lb and 20 lb.