Pma531

Anyone else having issues with St. Croix Mojo surf rods?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I own plenty of St. Croix rods and overall have been very happy with them. I currently use a 9’ 1-4oz Mojo Surf and a 10’ 1-4oz Mojo Surf for surf fishing. This year I’ve been having problems with the guides on both rods. It’s acfually very annoying. The ceramic cracking for no reason and the ceramic insert just falling out.

Tonight I was fishing and out of nowhere the one ceramic insert just fell out of the guide. I have not dropped either of the rods and they are put into a rod rack for transport. I went back to the truck to separate the two pieces. When I went to spin it and twist it off, the rod just started spinning from the reel seat area. Now the top portion of the rod just spins freely. Is anyone else having quality issues with these rods? I feel like every other trip something is wrong with them. I guess I’m back off to the Tackle shop to get the rod repaired.... again.

Edited by Pma531

Have a 9' same as you and a 10'6". Neither has the issue.  St. Croix has good warranty service and will take care of you. Good luck man.

I have a few Mojo rods myself. The guides are cheap and they rust pretty easily especially where the ceramic meets the guide on the underside. These guides need rinsing after use and need dry storage. 

Other than that, they are ok.

I have a 10'6". No issues with mine so far. The reel seat coming loose is a well known and documented issue and you should be able to find many threads on here discussing it. As for the guides, that should be brought to the attention of St Croix. I used my mojo when wetsuiting before I upgraded and I basically torture tested that rod. Banging and draging it over rocks, getting it slammed on boulders as I was tossed around in big surf, swivels through the guides, etc. The guides never failed on mine though in all honesty they probably should have.

the rubber piece in front of the top hood on my reel seat gets loose about every cast. Been doing that for a season and half at least. Rubber on handle that prevents water and sand and makes for easy rod breakdown fell in to the handle. No eye failure or eyelits come off on mine. 11' mh 3-8

They really need to switch to upgraded Fuji guides, most rods of that price range have the superior Fujis. TFO switched, St. Croix didn't. :thdwn:

The Mojo surf rods have horrible guides. You are actually better off just buying the Avid surf instead, since it does have quality components, just to avoid the inconvenience and cost of shipping the Mojos out for repairs at St. Croix or taking them to your local repair shop.

Every single Mojo surf I have owned has had issues with the guides, had a couple with reel seats that went loose too.

I too have guides cracking and pulverizing in Mexican St Croix rods, one a Mojo 10.5 surf rod, hung it in the basement guides intact next thing it’s without a collector ring. Had a triumph travel rod again for no reason the collector guide crumbled.

The rod I use the most, 9 ft Mojo surf, no problem same with 2 other Mojo surfs.

3 hours ago, TheNapeaguePissMan said:

I don’t know where you’re located, but if you’re leaving them outdoors overnight and you have frost that could be to blame.

The rods are rinsed and out inside my garage for storage.

28 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Do you use a swivel in your leader?

I used to. I started tying either an improve Alberto or FG knot.

Honestly, I’m think I’ll try to upgrade after this season.... if I can make it that long.

A while ago I posted on this forum about changing the low riders to k frame guides and most replied either not worth it or go to Avid rods.

I actually love the action of the 9 ft moderate Mojo surf. The Avid is too fast and stiff for me.

Changing to k frames might solve the Mojo guide problem.

9 hours ago, night owl said:

I have a few Mojo rods myself. The guides are cheap and they rust pretty easily especially where the ceramic meets the guide on the underside. These guides need rinsing after use and need dry storage. 

Other than that, they are ok.

I have a 10' Mojo I've been fishing for 3 seasons now (heavily) and a 7' Mojo I got this season and fished all summer with from the kayak. There were times where they didn't get rinsed for few days and I have yet to see the slightest signs of rust.

The only gripe I have is the 7' states it's heavy/fast but  it seems a bit more stuff than that. Also, my 10' the top reel seat cap seems to have developed a gap between it and the blank. When fishing you can feel it moving inside the cap. 

My 9' had an insert pop out. Super glued it back on. Been working for months.  Then the reel seat came loose.  Epoxied that on. Been working perfectly as well.