ThirstyOwl III

Gomexus knob advice appreciated.

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

About to order Gomexus knobs for both my Daiwa BG3000 and my new Penn SSVI 4500.  Both will require drilling out the existing shafts.  I figure it can’t be that difficult even with a handheld drill. 

I’m wondering how I should figure out which knobs to purchase for each reel? Do I measure the diameter of the shaft on my handle? 

Also would appreciate any general advice regarding the removal of the existing shaft knobs. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

I personally do not like to drill out my handle knobs. I generally like to find knobs that are straight swaps. I know they are more expensive, but I have been happy with mine.

If you are drilling out just try to find the exact size bit to fit your shaft diameter. Basically the smaller the hole the better. You may need some stainless steel washers/lock washers to make the knob fit properly so keep that in mind. As far as the size knob that all depends on your preference. They generally come in 3 sizes I believe. Estimate the size that will work for you. 

Maybe this?

Amazon Gomexus Shimano type B

It says it fits BG and some Penn SSV

I just put one of these on a Stradic FJ5000.

Mine was a direct fit but it came with an extra shaft bearings,shims etc. 6650A6D9-A0B1-442C-9F31-2E1552364D47.jpeg.aa435ccdbd10255bcfb7b7f65161f39e.jpeg

Edited by olvart

22 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Yes find out what type you have and buy exact fit. Very simple swap.

No drilling,

+1

just got a gomexus direct swap knob for daiwa reel... direct replacement was simple...

try to google around a minute.. i had found a chart that had the direct swap sizing for shimano and daiwa... if i can find it again will PM you a link but you should be able to find same or similar pretty quick

1 hour ago, unclemikenj said:

+1

just got a gomexus direct swap knob for daiwa reel... direct replacement was simple...

try to google around a minute.. i had found a chart that had the direct swap sizing for shimano and daiwa... if i can find it again will PM you a link but you should be able to find same or similar pretty quick

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Yes find out what type you have and buy exact fit. Very simple swap.

No drilling,

That's is impossible. The Penn SSVI  knob is press fitted. Only way  to change  it is to drill out or buy the Slammer3 handle for 45$ the slammer3 handle is a direct replacement size for size

24 mins ago, ChasingTales said:

That's is impossible. The Penn SSVI  knob is press fitted. Only way  to change  it is to drill out or buy the Slammer3 handle for 45$ the slammer3 handle is a direct replacement size for size

Aaah i see.so drill you must.

4 hours ago, olvart said:

Maybe this?

Amazon Gomexus Shimano type B

It says it fits BG and some Penn SSV

I just put one of these on a Stradic FJ5000.

Mine was a direct fit but it came with an extra shaft bearings,shims etc. 6650A6D9-A0B1-442C-9F31-2E1552364D47.jpeg.aa435ccdbd10255bcfb7b7f65161f39e.jpeg

I have a new 5000FK that i was contemplating one for, what mm is that one? It looks to be the right fit.

58 mins ago, ChasingTales said:

sorry... was only referring to daiwa... sounds like the penn is a must.... 

6 mins ago, Mack26 said:

I have a new 5000FK that i was contemplating one for, what mm is that one? It looks to be the right fit.

Aqua helped me with this on the reel repair forum. Look at that.

The FJ has the shimano reel stem B, I would think the fk is the same but the best way to figure it out is pull the knob and measure.

Easy peasy,and you can shim the handle to NO sideplay.

6 mins ago, olvart said:

Aqua helped me with this on the reel repair forum. Look at that.

The FJ has the shimano reel stem B, I would think the fk is the same but the best way to figure it out is pull the knob and measure.

Easy peasy,and you can shim the handle to NO sideplay.

Will do, thanks olvart

The BG knob also has to drilled out. 

I ordered 2 knobs in the 41mm size and the proper drill bit size is 1/5 inch.

i don’t have a drill press so am going to do it by hand. That’s the only part I’m worried about as I don’t want to ruin the handle.

11 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

The BG knob also has to drilled out. 

I ordered 2 knobs in the 41mm size and the proper drill bit size is 1/5 inch.

i don’t have a drill press so am going to do it by hand. That’s the only part I’m worried about as I don’t want to ruin the handle.

Start with a drill bit  3 or 4 sizes smaller. It's called step drilling and it will give you a better hole and is easier  to drill.