SnoozeFishing

Do some of you just not like fishing in the dark?

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Perfect time to bump this old one,...

Scary stuff.  I dont like wading passed my knees alone at night.  Hell I don't like wading pass my knees during the day, but I have no problem fishing the very last rock on a jetty during a dropping tide, 2am, right on the water.  I know if something happens, there is no one to help, but me.  If things get hairy I move, but anything can happen and thats probably why I love it so much.  

Last fall walking off a jetty my korker strap broke, if that happened in certain situations I'd be in a lot of trouble trying to get back.  It really got me thinking.  

You ever see the videos of killer whales grabbing seals off ice glaciers?  For some reason I always think about them when I'm right on the water like that.  Lmfao!  Your mind really does wonder out there at night, especially running on little sleep and too much coffee.  After that first bump though, I could care less if the boogieman was right behind me.  

Edited by Hammerz

17 hours ago, Hammerz said:

Scary stuff.  I dont like wading passed my knees alone at night.  Hell I don't like wading pass my knees during the day, but I have no problem fishing the very last rock on a jetty during a dropping tide, 2am, right on the water.  I know if something happens, there is no one to help, but me.  If things get hairy I move, but anything can happen and thats probably why I love it so much.  

Last fall walking off a jetty my korker strap broke, if that happened in certain situations I'd be in a lot of trouble trying to get back.  It really got me thinking.  

You ever see the videos of killer whales grabbing seals off ice glaciers?  For some reason I always think about them when I'm right on the water like that.  Lmfao!  Your mind really does wonder out there at night, especially running on little sleep and too much coffee.  After that first bump though, I could care less if the boogieman was right behind me.  

Amen to that.

My confidence level is 100% greater at night.. you've got to put your time in.  Eventually it all becomes second nature... You will be able to tie knots with your eyes closed.. hear and feel things your too busy "looking" for during the day.. Wade familiar places with respect yet without fear.. I get a feeling of being in touch with nature and feel the presence of a Power far greater than the world itself... And sometimes I'm lucky enough to catch a fish....

I find that I get bored at night if the bite is not on. For me, it’s more about the total experience including the birds, sea life and scenery. 

However, there is a lot to be said for a clear star filled sky. 

Edited by Surf Guy

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, Hammerz said:

Never thought about the orcas washing me off the end...….

til now.               Thanks

43 mins ago, Surf Guy said:

However, there is a lot to be said for a clear star filled sky. 

Absolutely, especially if you can get somewhere dark and away from city light pollution, which is Damn near impossible in Jersey.

Night time is not always the right time.....this fall besides a few sporadic bites, striped bass fishing has been a daytime thing. I guess in years passed night was the right time.

More to the op's original I prefer day time fishing, but 5/31 to labor day fishing at night is less of a ass ache.

I had a good night bite right up to that last big blow. Nothing of size, but still plenty of action. That storm just cleaned the clock for me.  Blew everything out, no peanut, no bunker,  no bait = no fish. There are little ones in the back bay, but I want to gamble on getting a golden unicorn in the surf. I lost, lost big.  In the spring, no question about it, night time is the right time for stripe bass, area you can't buy a bite during the day will come alive after sundown. I do like fishing in the day time for boofish when they are around. They came in late and left in a hurry.  Very short 2-3 weeks.

Like others have probably posted earlier, striper fishing from shore is a night sport- if you avoid fishing at night...

For me the key thing is to always be responsible- which means being (to the best of my ability) aware of the environment I'm working in. In the surf, things can get pretty bad in 2 feet of water in the middle of the day. At night? Anyone who fishes in the surf at night consistently can probably offer up a story where they had considered themselves certain of the situation they were in (the route back to shore, etc)- until they weren't. Your heart skips a beat or two until you've regained control of the situation. It's not sharks or whatever that I'd ever be concerned about (at least where I fish)- it's stepping off of soft structure, into current, when it's 2am and I am dog-tired from a long day at the office. 

I fish all hours night and day...But Long Island is diffrent then NJ.We get massive crowds at night at certain places so thats one thing that doesnt change.

13 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

I fish all hours night and day...But Long Island is diffrent then NJ.We get massive crowds at night at certain places so thats one thing that doesnt change.

I usually find myself being envious of you guys up north, but that doesn't sound fun.  Down here in south jersey, it's rare to come across more than one other person at night.  Usually it's just me and my thoughts (and hopefully fish).  Even when I travel to north jersey, I've never felt crowded at night.

To answer the OP, there are parts about day fishing I enjoy more than night fishing.  But there are also plenty of things I enjoy about night fishing more than day fishing.  At the end of the day, night is my go to and I enjoy it thoroughly.

6 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I usually find myself being envious of you guys up north, but that doesn't sound fun.  Down here in south jersey, it's rare to come across more than one other person at night.  Usually it's just me and my thoughts (and hopefully fish).  Even when I travel to north jersey, I've never felt crowded at night.

To answer the OP, there are parts about day fishing I enjoy more than night fishing.  But there are also plenty of things I enjoy about night fishing more than day fishing.  At the end of the day, night is my go to and I enjoy it thoroughly.

I remember one night there was this epic bite and we were all wading out on this sandbar.It was probably like 10pm in late Oct early November and there was over 50 people fishing this spot.All hell broke loose and the next thing i know my legs are  wrapped up in someones line and I had to cut myself free in chest high water.People got hooks in there hands,other peoples plugs on there waders.Great bite though lol.Another time at the jetty in a similar crowded situation my buddy got punched in the face for taking someones rock.