SnoozeFishing

Do some of you just not like fishing in the dark?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

The more people that are afraid of the dark the better.  I like having it to myself.  And binoculars don’t work at night either.  

I do wish Albies bit at night 

fd4mcola likes this

On 11/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, Fly By Nite said:

The sun hurts their eyes, right?  Total BS.  They are active at all times of the day.  Their schedule revolves around their food supply and not the clock.  

Bass are active at all times of the day, just not as much as at night! Way more active at night esp in summer.  It’s a fact these fish go on a more aggressive, closer to shore feed during the night time hours. 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

Year after year I tell myself I'm going to just keep night fishing until I like it but man I just can't get into it. I never catch(which im sure is just a confidence thing), when I use bombers right as it gets close to the lip I swear it feels exactly like a hit and the lure comes flying out, 3 years ago I caught a bomber in the inside of my nose. I know the big girls come out to play at night but I feel like id rather catch a 20# in the day time than a 30# at night. Anyone else share my thinking or am I the only one? haha

Do what ever makes you happy.  That said I absolutely hate fishing during the day.  

That beach lip is where you are going to get a lot of fish.  You want to hold your plug there for as long as possible before coming up on the sand.  Keep your rod low and to avoid hooking yourself in the nose again, set the hook off to the side.  

6 mins ago, Hammerz said:

Do what ever makes you happy.  That said I absolutely hate fishing during the day.  

That beach lip is where you are going to get a lot of fish.  You want to hold your plug there for as long as possible before coming up on the sand.  Keep your rod low and to avoid hooking yourself in the nose again, set the hook off to the side.  

Is there a time of night you don’t like? I’ve fished a lot this year the first two hours of darkness and give up because I never catch or see anyone else catching.

7 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Is there a time of night you don’t like? I’ve fished a lot this year the first two hours of darkness and give up because I never catch or see anyone else catching.

Yea the first 2 hours of darkness, lol.  Fish need to adjust to light change.

SnoozeFishing likes this

On 11/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, clambellies said:

It's not a macho thing, I've seen big hulking guys runs shrieking like little girls when they see a harmless garter snake. 

Absolutely. I don't like eels so much either- but I use them

On 11/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

The ONLY time of night I don't have confidence is that first 2 hours of darkness. The reason is the daytime swimming and boating commotion just ended and the fish have not begun to move in close like they do as the night progresses. It takes time for things to quite down and the fish get less timid.  Ive had very little luck at Dusk over the years as well. Its a more difficult time but from 1am-4am are the best times with the 3am hour being my fav. 

BigBen425 likes this

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

The ONLY time of night I don't have confidence is that first 2 hours of darkness. The reason is the daytime swimming and boating commotion just ended and the fish have not begun to move in close like they do as the night progresses. It takes time for things to quite down and the fish get less timid.  Ive had very little luck at Dusk over the years as well. Its a more difficult time but from 1am-4am are the best times with the 3am hour being my fav. 

3am has paid off so many times for me, from surf fishing, to tuna fishing offshore

On 11/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

first one to two hours after full dark for me has been the worst 1-2 hour period for me regardless of tide/wind/moon.   the first hour is really bad typically (not always) and the second it usually seems to start picking up.  

rarely see action continue from dusk through full dark, it does occasionally happen but it's rare. if i am on the beach at dusk i usually plan to get off a little after full dark and grab a coffee or a casual bite to eat and plan to return about 1.5 hours full dark. 

jeffapeikin likes this

53 mins ago, BrianZ said:

first one to two hours after full dark for me has been the worst 1-2 hour period for me regardless of tide/wind/moon.   the first hour is really bad typically (not always) and the second it usually seems to start picking up.  

rarely see action continue from dusk through full dark, it does occasionally happen but it's rare. if i am on the beach at dusk i usually plan to get off a little after full dark and grab a coffee or a casual bite to eat and plan to return about 1.5 hours full dark. 

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a good shot between 3am and sunrise the next couple of outings. Have been trying dusk lately and nothing. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, SnoozeFishing said:

19 mins ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a good shot between 3am and sunrise the next couple of outings

The wee hours of the morning always seem to be the most productive.

jeffapeikin likes this

I much prefer night.  Less people, fish feel bigger.  A more visceral experience.  I started fishing nights because its when I could go.  Now that I have more free time, I'll fish freshwater if I can get away in the daylight.  Just don't like wading alone for safety reasons. I fish in boots more and more and waders less. 

I absolutely love fishing at night, so much so I even largemouth fish at night, but the last few years it seems like a waste of time fishing at night in November during the heart of the run and it doesn't get better until the rats come out in at the end.