SnoozeFishing

Do some of you just not like fishing in the dark?

50 posts in this topic

Not a huge fan of the 10-4 daylight hours of fishing. The early morning and later afternoon/dusk sessions are my favorite times to go. Ive done some nights thru the yrs but because of work schedules its mostly family/relaxation hours at least for me. No doubt it produces some solid fish. Its a whole different world though. 

I didn’t love it at first but I appreciate it a lot more now. Ill do a night shift whenever I can. I’m only on my 2nd year so I chalk up the discomfort of cold, dark and wet as paying my dues to learn/get better. But depends on what your goals are, I want to be a solid all around surf fisherman and catch big stripes. Some guys just enjoy being out in nature during the day. No wrong answer 

First and most important, stripers are nocturnal. What happens during the day is magnified at night. Most day fishing is in deep water, thus the deeper the darker, even daytrippers admit that cloud covered days are better than sunny skies.

Second- Crowds are more prevalent during the day and God forbid you hook up, within minutes you'll have folks at your feet you never met. They'll throw right over you, looking for the next bite. 

Third- Most folks work during the day and like to spend weekends with their family and friends. Night fishing doesn't interfere as much.

Fourth- Its not an easy game, you earn every fish you catch, nights allow you to actually figure out patterns and what they like instead of blind casting trying to hit the lottery. Its not all luck, there are many things you'll learn through experience that help you improve your skills. I never learned a thing during the day except that I despised fellow fisher folks for the way they behave.

Nights are peaceful and relaxing for me, by nature we all like the comfort of daylight, but you can learn to be comfortable and secure in the dark of night. 

3 people like this

No wrong answer of course. But imo if you dont

spend time on the beach at nite fishing, youre missing

one of the most enjoyable aspects of the sport. I'd advise

those that don't to stick it out and the comfort factor will come

with time.

Posted (edited)

I started fishing the night tides because I mostly had work or family obligations during the day.    I have found that most of the time the night tides are more productive.  I guess the exception is when the bunker starts migrating down the beaches this time of year, that seems to be mostly a daytime bite.       It takes a little getting used to, but its worth it.    Try to get out before sunset and stay into the night.  That way your eyes slowly adjust to the darkness.   You will be surprised how much you can see at night after your eyes adjust.     

Edited by UncleJohn

I don't like fishing full moons off the beach.  Bottom line it's more challenging at night. Harder to see bait, effects of wind with long casts, etc. You definitely need to slow down and be methodical at times.

The sign of life at the end of your line is a rush, light or dark.  

I like fishing bridges and beaches at nights but on real dark nights I avoid jettys and sod banks

I enjoy fishing the surf at night over the day as long as conditions are decent and the bit isn’t keyed in on peanuts, in 2016 I couldn’t buy a fish once it got dark out and everything was caught for me during the day.

I still fish at night if I don’t have conditions but mainly either on jetties or out back but to be honest haven’t had a good nite bite in a while.

the other reason I like the night bite is I really don’t like a ton of fisherman mugging me when I hook up or see a few seagulls swimming close to the water. It’s been really bad the last few years with guys driving up and down the cost only fishing if somethings happening. I remember once some lady feeding seagulls and the masses running down the beach thinking there’s a blitz going on. Idiots.

I remember waking up at 2am with my dad when I was probably 13 to fish the surf during a savage pre night/dawn sandeel bite on needle fish and teasers. There isn’t anything quite like getting into a blitz at night.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, Highlander1 said:

First and most important, stripers are nocturnal.

The sun hurts their eyes, right?  Total BS.  They are active at all times of the day.  Their schedule revolves around their food supply and not the clock.  

1 person likes this

I fished again at night a couple days ago and really tried to focus on what I didn’t like, I don’t like not being able to see where my lure is landing, during the day I can walk the beach and hit the structure and cuts I feel like at night I’m just blindly casting into the water and definitely don’t move as much. I can remeber I few cuts that I marked out during the day but it’s kinda hard to see a remember when you’re trying to cover a half mile of beach. 

Its amazing how much confidence has to do with fishing. I haven’t caught a single fish at night this year, and I’ve caught about 8 bass during the day. They are pretty even as far as days fished. 

On 11/2/2018 at 11:59 PM, SPCFudgie said:

I absolutely hate fishing during the day. Twice the amount of people. There’s just something about throwing a plug into total darkness and feeling that thump. 

^^ what he said..

Only way to fish especially during spring and Fall

9 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

I fished again at night a couple days ago and really tried to focus on what I didn’t like, I don’t like not being able to see where my lure is landing, during the day I can walk the beach and hit the structure and cuts I feel like at night I’m just blindly casting into the water and definitely don’t move as much. I can remeber I few cuts that I marked out during the day but it’s kinda hard to see a remember when you’re trying to cover a half mile of beach. 

give your eyes time to adjust and get your night vision going. should always be able to see wave action and white water. receding suds will show you cuts and water direction on all but the darkest nights. just remember all of this goes away as soon as you or some jackass close by turns on a bright white headlamp. get a red one and even then only use it when you tangle or are removing hooks from a fish or yourself. if you need to see your lure landing go out near or on full moon nights and youll get a feel for where it’s going and gain confidence for darker nights. i tend not to catch on full moons though so there’s always that.