flyangler

WHY THIS ELECTION MATTERS SO MUCH TO TRUMP...

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

OK, we all know the easy answers, the ones we can all recite about investigations, advancing agenda, personal ego, etc. 

But there are other secondary and tertiary reasons that Trump is so invested in this election. I will pose a few, what do you have?

Trade - China and others are likely watching this election very closely to get a sense of the mood of the American people as well as who will wield power come January. I believe trade partners are rooting for the Dems to gain control in a result that will pull power away from Trump. 

Foreign policy - Specifically Iran. Several weeks back Kerry was telling foreign leaders, in Europe and the ME, to wait until after the mid-terms because Trump will lose power if the Dems gain control. While most of his focus was on Trump not being re-elected in 2020, his suggestion had an application to the mid-terms as well. Trump’s comments today on Iran sanctions are interesting in their timing, no?

GOP loyalty - Face it, with few exceptions, elected GOP are barely supporting Trump when he is making progress and the economy is strong. They have shielded him front he worst instincts of the Dem but how deep and strong is that support? If the GOP holds the Senate and House, Trump can claim a mandate as well as involvement in that successful outcome. He will bind the GOP much closer to him is that is the case. Conversely, if the Dems take the House and start investigations, etc., it is highly likely that some GOP who have been soft supporters will support calls for more investigations, subpoenas and more. 

Thoughts? 

I honestly think he believes he is helping this country and thinks he can do a lot more if he has help.

Not saying he is right or I agree with the various methods he employs.

But I really believe he believes he is making a difference.

Because he is so very thin skinned, he would see a loss as a personal affront.

Because as his support from within the GOP crumbles, he is becoming isolated in his bizarre behavior.    There will be more never Trumpers.

Because he fears the endless investigations that would follow a loss.

Because it would be "unfair"

etc...

14 mins ago, mako capt said:

Every election matters.  Every president campaigns heavily for the mid-terms.  Next silly thread..........

Seriously? Do you have any sense of history? 

In 2010 Obama did exactly four events in the last week of his first mid-term. Most Dems did not want him out on the trail with them because Obamacare was so toxic at that point. And Obama lost 60+ House seats, Trump is unlikely to lose half that. Maybe a third if the GOP gets lucky. 

Trump may do 20+ events in this final week. Maybe 30. 

Thanks for the silly comment. :howdy:

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

Because he is so very thin skinned, he would see a loss as a personal affront.

Because as his support from within the GOP crumbles, he is becoming isolated in his bizarre behavior.    There will be more never Trumpers.

Because he fears the endless investigations that would follow a loss.

Because it would be "unfair"

etc...

Not a bad list and an element of truth in each of those. 

Except you can’t have more “NeverTrumpers” as being a Never means you were never supportive at any level. Think Bill Kristol, Max Boot, etc. 

No, those that convert become Anti-Trumper. 

Just now, tomkaz said:

Not a bad list and an element of truth in each of those. 

Except you can’t have more “NeverTrumpers” as being a Never means you were never supportive at any level. Think Bill Kristol, Max Boot, etc. 

No, those that convert become Anti-Trumper. 

The more Trump attacks the GOP (think Ryan), the more I suspect, they will create friction as they try and distance themselves from his rhetoric.   They (GOP) are in a tough spot and the latest "drama" only creates more space between Trump and the GOP.  In my humble opinion. 

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

The more Trump attacks the GOP (think Ryan), the more I suspect, they will create friction as they try and distance themselves from his rhetoric.   They (GOP) are in a tough spot and the latest "drama" only creates more space between Trump and the GOP.  In my humble opinion. 

What was the basis of Ryan’s negative comment? I am not sure I ever read it verbatim.

Was it because that is a congressional function? If so, that is a friction between the Executive and Legislative branches.

Or that because the 14A protects birthright citizenship? If that is the case, then it is wrong on the facts. 

If the GOP holds both, there will be much less public friction and less drama. If they lose the House, blame will be flung like poop in the gorilla space at the zoo. 

4 mins ago, tomkaz said:

What was the basis of Ryan’s negative comment? I am not sure I ever read it verbatim.

Was it because that is a congressional function? If so, that is a friction between the Executive and Legislative branches.

Or that because the 14A protects birthright citizenship? If that is the case, then it is wrong on the facts. 

If the GOP holds both, there will be much less public friction and less drama. If they lose the House, blame will be flung like poop in the gorilla space at the zoo. 

On the other hand, and hence why it matters, if the GOP were to lose power, then the GOP could abandon all the fake Trump support they pretend to be behind.  In other words, if they went down, they wouldn't hesitate to abandon him.  He would become even more lame as a lame duck and would not stand a chance in 2020.  Lots riding on this.

That said.   I think the GOP will retain power and the status quo will continue unabated.

Zinke out after mid terms?  More dead weight on the swamp filled cabinet? 

3 mins ago, KnewBee said:

On the other hand, and hence why it matters, if the GOP were to lose power, then the GOP could abandon all the fake Trump support they pretend to be behind.  In other words, if they went down, they wouldn't hesitate to abandon him.  He would become even more lame as a lame duck and would not stand a chance in 2020.  Lots riding on this.

That said.   I think the GOP will retain power and the status quo will continue unabated.

Zinke out after mid terms?  More dead weight on the swamp filled cabinet? 

I think it is a matter of degrees. If the GOP holds, I agree with you. Fully. 

If there is a Blue Ripple and the Dems take the House with a handful of vote margin, I don’t think there will be a wholesale abandonment of Trump. The 40+ GOP retirements, should the Dems win, will be one of the reasons the GOP loses, not necessarily their message, etc. 

But, if there is a bona fide Blue Wave, and the Dems take 40+ seats and a 20+ margin, then your view might come to pass. 

11 mins ago, tomkaz said:

I think it is a matter of degrees. If the GOP holds, I agree with you. Fully. 

If there is a Blue Ripple and the Dems take the House with a handful of vote margin, I don’t think there will be a wholesale abandonment of Trump. The 40+ GOP retirements, should the Dems win, will be one of the reasons the GOP loses, not necessarily their message, etc. 

But, if there is a bona fide Blue Wave, and the Dems take 40+ seats and a 20+ margin, then your view might come to pass. 

Good chat.

Interesting points.

And I am not very civil:p

15 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Good chat.

Interesting points.

And I am not very civil:p

Every now and then, we can have substantive conversations without the backbiting. 

FWIW, if I were a betting man, I would place bets on both the Blue Wave (Dems take 40+ House seats) and Red Wave (GOP loses 10 or fewer seats) with the right odds. I suspect that while the polls are close, they are missing quite a bit but that can go either way. Not even money mind you....

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Every now and then, we can have substantive conversations without the backbiting. 

FWIW, if I were a betting man, I would place bets on both the Blue Wave (Dems take 40+ House seats) and Red Wave (GOP loses 10 or fewer seats) with the right odds. I suspect that while the polls are close, they are missing quite a bit but that can go either way. Not even money mind you....

It should be common.   Rarely works out when either side of an issue touts misinformation (usually easily debunked), delves into name calling (why I hate Limbaugh who can't ever seem to avoid using names like "Ballsy" Ford or his annoyingly mimicy voices),  cogent retorts of "you lost", "Butthurt", or some such sophomoric drivel.    I try my best not to get dragged down, but I ain't perfect.  It is one thing to stand firmly by an opinion, complete other to have that opinion based on a falsehood (Anything Trump says!).    You at least provide some cogent debate, as much as I disagree.   Going to start a hum dinger here in a few....

Rattled:
Alec Baldwin Arrested After Fight Over Parking Spot

Baldwin was in police custody Friday afternoon after the incident, which authorities say took place outside of the actor’s home

Police say Baldwin was backing into an open parking spot when a 49-year-old man in a station wagon came in from behind him and took the spot.

Baldwin then followed the man to the Muni-meter and punched him, police said. The driver was taken to Lenox Hill hospital.

Friday afternoon, President Trump was asked about the actor’s arrest during a short session with the media on the White House lawn.

“I wish him luck,” Trump said with a smirk.