baldwin

Rod stiffness and conventional plugging

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

A friend lent me a honey Lami blank (I think it's 10') and I tried it with the Squidder yesterday, tossing a Roberts Ranger. The rod loaded nice and smoothly, not a hint of any beginning overruns on the Squidder's spool for the 20 minutes or so that I was casting it (I'm no pro with the Squidder). I think the bend of the rod may have influenced the smoothness of the cast on the conventional reel. Anyone have similar, or different, experiences with rod stiffness and performance of conventional reels?

I have a 11foot honey lami. If you load it nice and slow it will give you a nice smooth cast. I have a squidder for it but usually use a Abu 6500 ct. It fights big fish really nice too. 

My experience has been similar. Parabolic rods are definitely more forgiving when casting conventional. I fished conventional almost exclusively for about 5 years then went back to spinning because I didn’t have a rod I was happy with. I had been using inexpensive factory rods that were better suited to bait fishing. I finally bit the bullet and built a 1201m (old school) conventional and, although I’ve only test casted it so far I think it will be perfect. More forgiving than the stuff I had been using and better suited for the weights i’ll be throwing. Looking forward to next season when I can actualy fish with it. 

Indeed true about para-bolics,they will help your swing.

I fish winches exclusively and with a stiffer rod you always want to try and stay inside it's ratings[going by feel and experience with said rod] to keep them on the forgiving side of things.

if you are fishing with a rod that is rated say 3-8oz and your plug is 4-5 oz,it will help your swing by loading the rod correctly.

a 2 oz plug will not do it,,,maybe,,, [depending on the tip\action].

also you have to develop the "feel" for that rod\lure so you know how it will function on the swing.

can you cast a 2 oz plug with a rod rated 3-8 if it has the right kind of tip you can get away with it.

just going from my experience and my my $1.50.

HH

For me, the essence of casting any conventional without 'nesting is for the payload to travel in an arc.  This is easier to accomplish with a more parabolic rod because they are inherently easier to load.  Stiffer, Carbon Fiber or the old All-Star graphite blanks can be loaded deep into the blank as they are/were designed with what Century refers to as a "gearbox" butt, which translated into layman terms means that when loaded properly, the butt will actually bend as you come around with the cast, thus storing a hell of a lot of potential energy.  Unfortunately, this requires significant practice, as the payload needs to come around outside the tip, whereas most casters, especially in the NE, learn to cast with the lead inside the tip.  Casters in South Jersey, but especially in Hatteras, learn to cast outside the tip if they ever want to get to deeper water on their sloping beaches.  Same thing on most European, SA, Aussie and New Zealand beaches.

Interesting thing is that the ease with which parabolic rods cast makes the caster think he is achieving impressive distance.  Loading a stiffer rod designed to load progressively into the but actually achieves "holy c**p!!" distances. Just watch some folks on YT like Tommy Farmer or a whole bunch of European, etc. casters both on the competition field and on their beaches.

I use an old fenwick glass rod i had rebuilt with an Abut BG 7500.

It casts big lures great and yes can turn big fish with no problem.

Being very parabolic a long slooow cast gets the job done nicely.

I was casting a softball with a rod and eyebolt drilled thru it at the casting event for fun.8+ ounces.the rods a beast

I agree with everything said here.  I plug with conventional gear.  I have two old honey lamiglass rods my Dad used years ago, and they as stated are slow action rods (parabolic), and are more forgiving casters with older heavier spooled conventionals (140, 200, 500 Penns, & 235, 229 Newells). The fiberglass honey rods also have wider load capacities. The only down fall of these slow action rods is if you really want to get aggressive with your cast, they kind of laugh at you, because they do most of the work, and you get nothing more for your efforts.  One way to overcome the fast action rod not loading with a lighter offering, is increasing your line drop to almost down to the reel and use a pendulum cast. In the beginning don't overpower your cast until you get the hang of it. The fast action rods are better suited for reels with some sort of casting brakes or magnets, and as you age they take a toll on your shoulder joints. Righties will feel it in there left shoulders.  All in all I find conventional pendulum casting is the easiest on my body. Good luck and you will find it more interesting fishing conventional when things are slow, and when fishing picks up you'll find fighting a fish has that symbiotic relationship of reel,rod and line working perfectly.

1 hour ago, Steve H.C. said:

I agree with everything said here.  I plug with conventional gear.  I have two old honey lamiglass rods my Dad used years ago, and they as stated are slow action rods (parabolic), and are more forgiving casters with older heavier spooled conventionals (140, 200, 500 Penns, & 235, 229 Newells). The fiberglass honey rods also have wider load capacities. The only down fall of these slow action rods is if you really want to get aggressive with your cast, they kind of laugh at you, because they do most of the work, and you get nothing more for your efforts.  One way to overcome the fast action rod not loading with a lighter offering, is increasing your line drop to almost down to the reel and use a pendulum cast. In the beginning don't overpower your cast until you get the hang of it. The fast action rods are better suited for reels with some sort of casting brakes or magnets, and as you age they take a toll on your shoulder joints. Righties will feel it in there left shoulders.  All in all I find conventional pendulum casting is the easiest on my body. Good luck and you will find it more interesting fishing conventional when things are slow, and when fishing picks up you'll find fighting a fish has that symbiotic relationship of reel,rod and line working perfectly.

Thanks Steve nice writeup

Te Squidder and the Honey Lami, Peanut butter and jelly5b9ee921d3920_scuprod.jpeg.088130bb2b9a3131bcd5d0351914a86d.jpeg

Some reels that do really well with said Honey Lami

reels.jpg.008388d63ae21ba8173a89f09cf049f3.jpg

Edited by Stewie
mispelling of "honey" I had an "I" in it

Stewie, the reel on the far left in your pic looks like a Penn, but I can’t tell which. I’ve got a Fathom 12, but am not any good with it yet. It’s a very fast reel, gonna take some practice.

14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I use an old fenwick glass rod i had rebuilt with an Abut BG 7500.

It casts big lures great and yes can turn big fish with no problem.

Being very parabolic a long slooow cast gets the job done nicely.

I was casting a softball with a rod and eyebolt drilled thru it at the casting event for fun.8+ ounces.the rods a beast

I'd love to get my hands on her Mike.

HH

6 hours ago, baldwin said:

My conventional plugging reels: Penn Squidder, Abu Garcia 7000c3, Abu Garcia 6500c3, Ocean City (forgot the model #). 

37D96100-C862-40F8-AC9B-2CD963ABB0A3.png

a big daddy and an A-40?,,Baldwin,what ya know about those plugs?

you're too young to know how to use those!

HH

ps-love this pic,,,,,

Edited by Roddy