Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hobobob

HVAC question. One of the radiator is not heating up.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Question for HVAC experts on the board. I have an steam heat system, one radiator on the 2nd floor is not consistently heating up. The pipes before the valve is hot, valve is in open position. Sometimes jigging the valve back and forth a bit will cure the issue for a little while.  Debris in the radiator? worn out valve?  

If its a 1 pipe system put a small shim under the non valve side to raise it 5/16" or so. Also, check for a clogged vent or get a vent with a bigger orifice. 

:howdy:  Yes it's a one pipe system. I'll check the leveling and put in a shim if necessary. Never thought about the vent, will check that as well.  When it's not working, the whole radiator is cold from the valve onward.

Could be a bad vent, not allowing any air to escape, or you could try 'bleeding' the radiator, remove vent until all cold air has escaped and you see. feel steam coming out.  

Yes, it's a clogged air vent.  It's clogged with rust. Original was not threaded all the way in so rust has a bit of space to settle and get in the air valve. I replace it with a new vent from HD. it's a temporary fix for now. Will try to get a 1/8 NPT tap to rework / clean up the threads so I can get the air vent all the way in.   Thank you @cheech and @fluke07 for the solution.