squammer

Bucktail Weights for My Area and Rods?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

No, the “egg and jig “ was developed to deliver a small bucktail (3/8 to 1/2 oz.) a long distance. Also,  it enables a surf guy to fish a bucktail in shallow water without fouling bottom. I  don’t really know what the “eggs” are made out of? They are bought in craft stores and are pretty heavy. They cast a mile and a fisherman can cover a lot of water with them. The rig is a very, very productive way to catch bass I daylight hours. Works on deep water too if stripers are feeding near surface. 

Steve How  do you  work  this rig ?

23 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

No, the “egg and jig “ was developed to deliver a small bucktail (3/8 to 1/2 oz.) a long distance. Also,  it enables a surf guy to fish a bucktail in shallow water without fouling bottom. I  don’t really know what the “eggs” are made out of? They are bought in craft stores and are pretty heavy. They cast a mile and a fisherman can cover a lot of water with them. The rig is a very, very productive way to catch bass I daylight hours. Works on deep water too if stripers are feeding near surface. 

Steve-

What would be "your" other top baits aside from small bucktails you would definitely use with when using an egg? 

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Steve-

What would be "your" other top baits aside from small bucktails you would definitely use with when using an egg? 

I primarily use a bucktail but I have used a cocahow minnow on a light jig head (3/8 oz.). I have a friend that delivers smaller slug-gos, fitness fish , Albie snacks and other soft plastics when distance is needed. The egg is also a great way to serve up a streamer fly to false albacore. In fact , the egg and fly is some fishermen’s  #1 set up for albies. 

16 hours ago, klunkers said:

Steve How  do you  work  this rig ?

Just rest the hook of the jig on the finish nail before casting and when the rig hits the water start reeling. Use a moderate straight retrieve all the way in. 

we use a lot of "bucktails" down in Florida for snook. I started making my own because I got tired of paying 4.50 per jig. but if you're interested in a southern jig, check out First Light tackle. they make all different sizes and colors. chartreause is a common color here. sounds very similar to how we fish jigs. i would love to get up north to jog around for some stripers

So I ended up being decently productive 2018 season with the Andrus Jetty Caster bucktails I bought. Thanks to this thread! 

I also added a 1/2oz John Skinner S&S striped bass bucktail in white ("pearl") to the mix for shallows. I may add a chartreuse one next.

47 mins ago, squammer said:

So I ended up being decently productive 2018 season with the Andrus Jetty Caster bucktails I bought. Thanks to this thread! 

I also added a 1/2oz John Skinner S&S striped bass bucktail in white ("pearl") to the mix for shallows. I may add a chartreuse one next.

:th: :th: