Philly4eyes

Upgrade Mojo 9' 3/4-4 to Avid 9'?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So I broke my Mojo Surf 9' (bought used no warranty) and St croix replaced for $55 plus the $20 it cost me to ship the rod back to them.  Not too bad considering the rod didn't have a warranty.  Now before they ship it out to me I have the option to upgrade to an Avid surf.  I was looking at the 9' to be my Jetty stick but not sure I want the fast action...  Honestly I have never had an issue controlling fish with the 9' Mojo but I thought I'd throw this out there to get input before I make my decision.  I'm mainly throwing 1.5-2.5 oz bucktails metal lips etc and occasional SP minnow on the rocks.  Is the extra $110 worth the upgrade or will i be frustrated with the lack performance on the lighter end?

I agree i didn't like the stiffness  of the avid, i fish mojo and legend rods and i prefer the mojo:shrug:

3 mins ago, Kima said:

Personally I'd stick with the Mojo and buy the heavier top section too so you have 2 in 1.

Years ago I took a long hard look at the Legend and the Mojo rod in the same class. Ended up with the Mojo better feel and action to me.

2 hours ago, Philly4eyes said:

Thanks guys I think i'll pull the tigger.  I'm surprised this post didn't get any of the typical "St. Crois are garbage" replies lol

A few years back, I found myself in the same situation. Fished the Mojo for a season and then it started falling apart. I contacted the manufacturer and was offered the upgrade. I took the offer and have regularly fished the Avid without fail for the past three seasons. 

While it does have a stiffer feel and faster action, it’s simply a better built rod.

Ultimately, you’ll get used to the change in feel and will be glad you have the additional rod when you encounter larger fish in the surf.

Edited by nordic333

3 hours ago, Lou T said:

If you like something don't fix it. Unless you like another mans stiff rod...

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

4 hours ago, nordic333 said:

A few years back, I found myself in the same situation. Fished the Mojo for a season and then it started falling apart. I contacted the manufacturer and was offered the upgrade. I took the offer and have regularly fished the Avid without fail for the past three seasons. 

While it does have a stiffer feel and faster action, it’s simply a better built rod.

Ultimately, you’ll get used to the change in feel and will be glad you have the additional rod when you encounter larger fish in the surf.

Yeah I'm thinking that it will take some getting used to but having more backbone could be a good thing.  I also forgot to mention that I picked up a 9'6" Airwave elite to tide me over while I dealt with St. Croix (who was super easy to work with btw) so I felt like a 9' mojo and 9'6" Ariwave elite would be redundant.  I really . like the Airwave so I feel good about pulling the trigger on the Avid.  Now I'll have  both fast action and moderate action 9' class rods.  Looking forward to slinging some bucktails!