Roccus7

The Yearly Sand Eel Feeding Frenzy on LI's South Shore is ON!!

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

It's starting down on LI, large bass gorging themselves on sand eels to fatten up and everyone is bailing fish.  I just wish there was a coastwise slot rule on bass instead of the 28+ with a trophy tag or two.  Pictures of prime breeders like this sadden me.

217565.jpg

I’m just gonna throw out there that that lady is absolutely horrible. She’s a BS guide, only cares about the bottom dollar, and really only seems to fish to make money. I assume if drawing circles got really popular and was a way to make some cash, she’d drop her rod in an instant. Had a friend of a friend of a friend who was on her boat and said it was the worst experience of his life and that she does nothing but destroys resources for her own gain, not to say that that’s not a common trend with these types. 

Its not a yearly thing, sadly they hammered them in 2012? as well, hasn't happened in a few years its been short lived and it's dwindling down already. the Party Boats have no morals

1 hour ago, PaddleTail said:

Catching bass on a party boat like that is a joke. I would say nothing changes until the stocks crash, but even that didn’t stop human greed before 

I agree that captree boat kills thousands of big breeder fish and they love to brag about it

32 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I’m just gonna throw out there that that lady is absolutely horrible. She’s a BS guide, only cares about the bottom dollar, and really only seems to fish to make money. I assume if drawing circles got really popular and was a way to make some cash, she’d drop her rod in an instant. Had a friend of a friend of a friend who was on her boat and said it was the worst experience of his life and that she does nothing but destroys resources for her own gain, not to say that that’s not a common trend with these types. 

I can't say that I blame them, it is a business. Fisheries management subservience to these business interests requiring dead fish is what damages management's credibility regarding conservation and imperils fisheries.

13 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I can't say that I blame them, it is a business. Fisheries management subservience to these business interests requiring dead fish is what damages management's credibility regarding conservation and imperils fisheries.

Eh, no offense, but I find that to be a pretty crappy argument. Sure, fishery management is generally about getting paid and not the overall good of our fisheries and their associated habitats, but it takes two to tango there. And this whole argument of “well this is my job” can pound salt as well. I’ve somehow managed to get paid without ever killing a striped bass or any other fish for that matter, it’s certainly not impossible. It comes down to a lifestyle choice for an industry that really doesn’t provide much to your average citizen. Can I survive without ever eating a striped bass? Surely I can; can every other individual on this planet, yep, they can as well. Just because a law states something does not mean that it needs to be followed, especially whenever that law is total crap and only there to line the pockets of a few dbags. 

I’m sure that we all have our issues with fishery management, but I’m pretty sure if we removed charter fishing like this altogether, which, I know, is impossible until these scumbags literally fish everything out, then we might see a shift in management as well. It all comes down to the dollar and not the greater good of our fisheries and planet for that matter, and that’s the issue. Also, egos certainly fuel this kind of BS as well and that’s a huge issue that our society perpetuates as well—these charter boats just seem to be the breeding ground for egos and a total lack of care for our resources, do the math, it doesn’t take Darwin to tell you that that is a perfect storm for environmental disaster. 

1 min ago, Ftyer said:

Eh, no offense, but I find that to be a pretty crappy argument. Sure, fishery management is generally about getting paid and not the overall good of our fisheries and their associated habitats, but it takes two to tango there. And this whole argument of “well this is my job” can pound salt as well. I’ve somehow managed to get paid without ever killing a striped bass or any other fish for that matter, it’s certainly not impossible. It comes down to a lifestyle choice for an industry that really doesn’t provide much to your average citizen. Can I survive without ever eating a striped bass? Surely I can; can every other individual on this planet, yep, they can as well. Just because a law states something does not mean that it needs to be followed, especially whenever that law is total crap and only there to line the pockets of a few dbags. 

I’m sure that we all have our issues with fishery management, but I’m pretty sure if we removed charter fishing like this altogether, which, I know, is impossible until these scumbags literally fish everything out, then we might see a shift in management as well. It all comes down to the dollar and not the greater good of our fisheries and planet for that matter, and that’s the issue. Also, egos certainly fuel this kind of BS as well and that’s a huge issue that our society perpetuates as well—these charter boats just seem to be the breeding ground for egos and a total lack of care for our resources, do the math, it doesn’t take Darwin to tell you that that is a perfect storm for environmental disaster. 

I am not trying to argue, just trying to illustrate how a recreational fisherman's interests are in conflict with short term business interests; I nearly always catch and release nowadays(even though I do like to eat fish;) if I was operating a charter, or god forbid was a commercial fisherman, all bets are off. 

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

It's starting down on LI, large bass gorging themselves on sand eels to fatten up and everyone is bailing fish.  I just wish there was a coastwise slot rule on bass instead of the 28+ with a trophy tag or two.  Pictures of prime breeders like this sadden me.

217565.jpg

To Quote a great Saturday Night Live character...... Jane, you ignorant slut !!

37 mins ago, MartyK said:

Who are the breeders in that picture?

LOL, indeed, they're all females...  Guess it depends on your preferences?

Edited by Roccus7

8 hours ago, rollincoal said:

I am not trying to argue, just trying to illustrate how a recreational fisherman's interests are in conflict with short term business interests; I nearly always catch and release nowadays(even though I do like to eat fish;) if I was operating a charter, or god forbid was a commercial fisherman, all bets are off. 

Ill take it and I apologize for anything fo sure. Politicians and dead striper are high on my list of disliked things so I get carried away.