Cevan

10'6" Mojo 2-6 oz for big magic swimmers?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I've got an opportunity to buy a St Croix Mojo surf 10'6" 2-6oz for cheap.  My question is has anybody used this rod to throw the big Sebile magic swimmers and stick shads and 3 1/2oz pencil poppers?   Looking for a new plugging canal rod and wonder if this would fit the bill or do I need to go to something bigger like a 3-8oz.

I have one, it throws a 4.5 oz ms pretty well. Might actually throw it better then my legend tbh. i dont throw these alot though, just an occasional lure for me. Id take it if its a good deal

1 hour ago, Kapfish said:

You can also get the 3/4 - 4 top section from st croix for like $35 and have basically two rods it will fit right on.

Is that so? Do you know anywhere that sells just the top, I am interested in doing that.

I kept hearing that about the 3/4-4 top and i called st croix and they told me they were two different blanks so it wouldnt work....I'm not sure if it works but isnt ideal or what but thats just what they told me (or if they wanted me to just buy a whole other setup lol). I had also thought of trying for that. Anybody do this and think it works fine please jump in

9 hours ago, Kapfish said:

I believe many folks on here have both tops, this is where I heard of it. Mine fits like the original does.

Can confirm, thats what I was doing before I upgraded. Still use the 3/4-4 from the beaches on occasion.

9 hours ago, gulino12 said:

I kept hearing that about the 3/4-4 top and i called st croix and they told me they were two different blanks so it wouldnt work....I'm not sure if it works but isnt ideal or what but thats just what they told me (or if they wanted me to just buy a whole other setup lol). I had also thought of trying for that. Anybody do this and think it works fine please jump in

This could just be incorrect or semi correct statement from the company. I mean they are technically different blanks. That doesn't mean it won't work. From a companies standpoint its much more profitable to sell two $250+ rods rather than one plus a $35 tip.

They have slightly different tapers, so it's technically not a perfect fit, but it's close enough to work for sure!  

Mark the rod and you'll see they don't seat in the same exact spot, but it's close.  

Edited by TLap21

I've been mix and matching my 10'6"s for years. I bought one of each, then a spare 2-6 tip. I don't even bother trying to keep them together and grab a bottom section based on what reel it holds. Both of them usually get used as 2-6s, but I won't hesitate to put the light tip on either bottom.