slammer 3 experiences

Rate this topic

gill

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, LuckyStriker86 said:

I have the same issue with my slammer iii 4500.  Has a geary feel to it.  Bought it back in March before they updated it to include the line roller ball bearing.  Trying to finish this season off before I send it to Penn for, hopefully, a full on replacement. There is a thread in the Penn forum with others that have the issue.

I have also experienced somewhat mediocre service over at QL on occasion. I always get the impression that they look down on me as if they are the best anglers to grace this earth and I'm just some noob tourist.

Haha.  Yeah.  Not the friendliest.  In this business, with all the online competition, you have to be.

Myself included, you go into a tackle shop and you want a bit of chatter...who saw bait out front and so forth as well as any help you need selecting gear or just talking about gear.  Even if they don't make a sale from it, talking to customers makes them want to stay, and maybe next weekend, buy.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:29 PM, blacklabnh said:

Slammer 3's are great reels I have fished them hard since they came out. 

I've seen a few of these threads about slammers having "geary" feeling wonder if its grease because they "geary' feeling always seems to go away. 

Any gearyness may be due to the CNC brass gears. For some reason Penn brass gears always seem to feel a tiny bit rough at first (but it’s very subtle), then they smooth out really nicely as you use the reel and the gears get “broken in” and wear against each other. I think tackle advisors mentioned this in a video comparing the slammer to some shimano reel.

Actually, there is more to it than what you are saying. There have been numerous instances where people have gone thru multiple reels before getting an acceptable one. In my case, It took 3 reels before I found one that was acceptable. The first one was very heart and I attempted adding shims, I could decrease the geariness but started binding the gear set before completely going away, the second one I didn’t bother trying to shim and the third one was good to go. I personally think it is a QC issue with the frame or gear. Upon opening mine, I noticed that there were no shims used on the right side of the main gear. If the bearing socket on that side is out of spec, than the main gear is not free to fully engage the pinion without adding too many shims and causing binding. If I was a little richer, I would have tried grinding the socket a hair deeper then shimming on both sides to see if I could get the alignment right. 

On 2/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, Fishjerk said:

Actually, there is more to it than what you are saying. There have been numerous instances where people have gone thru multiple reels before getting an acceptable one. In my case, It took 3 reels before I found one that was acceptable. The first one was very heart and I attempted adding shims, I could decrease the geariness but started binding the gear set before completely going away, the second one I didn’t bother trying to shim and the third one was good to go. I personally think it is a QC issue with the frame or gear. Upon opening mine, I noticed that there were no shims used on the right side of the main gear. If the bearing socket on that side is out of spec, than the main gear is not free to fully engage the pinion without adding too many shims and causing binding. If I was a little richer, I would have tried grinding the socket a hair deeper then shimming on both sides to see if I could get the alignment right. 

That’s unfortunate, my 6500 has been perfect from the factory. I guess I got lucky. If there is a QC issue it’s good to bring it up and we should get a Penn Rep involved so that they can resolve the issue. I’m pretty loyal to Penn and would hate to see their quality go downhill. With that said, if they are unresponsive to serious issues I would have to abandon ship. Consistency and quality is why I’ve stood by them in the past

I’m sure penn is aware of the issue as there has been numerous discussions on it. What the % is of bad to good, I don’t know but even Scooby has mentioned someone going thru 3-4 reels before getting a good one. On the flip side, there have been numerous comments from others who have not had any issues. 

16 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

I’m sure penn is aware of the issue as there has been numerous discussions on it. What the % is of bad to good, I don’t know but even Scooby has mentioned someone going thru 3-4 reels before getting a good one. On the flip side, there have been numerous comments from others who have not had any issues. 

The percentage of bad reels to good reels is actually very low. I had 4 slammers with out a single issue and will probably get a couple more smaller slammers and I do not expect to see any issues with those reels either.

Anytime you have a product, the few complaints that people may have with the reel typically become magnified especially as people tend to repeat what they heard from others again and again and again. Outside of the issue scoob found with the other individual's Slammer, I can not recall any other serious complaints and that slammer actually had a legitimate issue where the pinion was rubbing the pinion support for some reason.

Regarding the geariness, it is a reel with brass on brass gears, geariness will exist in many of the reels do to the hardness of the materials and the sharp edges they have right after being cut. It isn't a problem so much as a preference issue, some people just prefer butter smooth reels right out of the box, as once the fresh cut gears break in from use they smooth out. I see this on many of the reels I use which have stainless steel gears as well, geary to start in many cases, but once the gears break in they become smoother then butter. Aluminum gears suck on the other hand, they start out smooth and then they end up feeling like crap with use; a lot of the newer small baitcasters for bass fishing have those aluminum gears and those reels just do not hold up well.