gill

slammer 3 experiences

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Anybody fish a slammer III?

I bought one last week and am noticing it is not very smooth when I am retrieving a plug or fish-any kind of load on it and I feel a hitch here and there.  Is this unusual?

Not happy to have a brand new reel do this... 

I haven’t experienced that. My reel is smooth as butter, tested on an albacore last week and no hiccups. I’ve also been pretty close to full on dunking it like 3 times. Still works like the first day I took it out of the package. 

There is a confirmed hitch in the top or bottom of the retrieve (I forget, but read about it).  Penn has admitted it.  It is here in the forums somewhere.

23 hours ago, gill said:

should I bring it back?

I got it at Quaker lane B&T last week

Only used it twice

Definitely get it replaced. It amazes me that Penn still has these issues going back 15+ years with the Slammer.  How is there still a hitch?  I would contact Penn through here and voice your displeasure.  

1 min ago, gill said:

I was a bit taken aback

I spend a bit of money there

Just message penn and let them know about the shop issue. Penn will take care of you no problem.

I only go to that shop when I need eels. Over priced and not one bit friendly.

Edited by xjclint

10 mins ago, xjclint said:

Just message penn and let them know about the shop issue. Penn will take care of you no problem.

I only go to that shop when I need eels. Over priced and not one bit friendly.

Now that I think of it that's the 4th reel I've bought there this season.

Might have to join the rest of the world and buy everything from walmart basspro cabelas amazon etc...

I have the same issue with my slammer iii 4500.  Has a geary feel to it.  Bought it back in March before they updated it to include the line roller ball bearing.  Trying to finish this season off before I send it to Penn for, hopefully, a full on replacement. There is a thread in the Penn forum with others that have the issue.

I have also experienced somewhat mediocre service over at QL on occasion. I always get the impression that they look down on me as if they are the best anglers to grace this earth and I'm just some noob tourist.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:07 PM, gill said:

I was a bit taken aback

I spend a bit of money there

Capt Don would have never done that . I bought a reel at one of the big boxes due to gift cards and Capt took care of it under warranty . Same here i spent and spend some crazy coin at local shops 

I contacted Penn fishing here on SOL and they said they would take care of it for free when I want to send it in.

That being said, I've been fishing it and it has definitely smoothed out since the first few outings and I am digging it.  Great match up for the Howard Reed built GSB1201L I paired it up with.  I am a happy camper and I'm looking forward to hearing the drag sing.