flyrad10

Lost Rod and Reel

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I lost a 9 ft Fenwick World Class rod and an Albright GPX 10-11 fly reel somewhere between Robert Moses State Park Field 2 and Central Ave North Babylon, NY May have fallen off roof rack in park or on causeway or Route 27 exit or Exit 40 on Sunrise. Run of stupid bad luck but if found by any miracle pm me.

Sorry to see this, I think you're in the company of a lot of other fine folks, I thought once I did it, I would never do it again, Done it three times now  in each case it was raining hard and in a rush to get in the car never secured the goods properly. None of them ended well. I still blame the weather and not my stupidity. No insult intended

Good Luck !

On 11/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, flyrad10 said:

Thanks BFD you made me feel better. Healing energy to you

I lost one. It was on a family vacation to the Cape, with just one vehicle available. I was back from an outing, and had rinsed a rig off. Laid it momentarily on the roof of a Caravan (which I had never done before) before I was gonna put it in the sun to dry. Walked to the back yard for a minute and when I returned the van was gone. :banghd: Never did find it, or even pieces, along the road. All my fault.

I was crushed. To this day I remember that early-90's Cortland graphite as the best 9/10 I ever had. I might buy another If I can find one on eBay, to see if it's actually as good as I remember. It definitely was good though...softer tip and power in the midsection. My favorite design for an all-around rod.

Edited by patchyfog

Been there, done that. Here was my thinking at the time:

The best thing you can do now is to absolutely make sure you never do it again. You deserve punishment.

So go out and buy an upgrade to what you lost. Put it on the card. Make it hurt.

It's what I did and haven't boneheaded one since.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can honestly say that I have never lost a rod that way, but I left one leaning up against a tree and it was still there the next morning.

And I have broken at least three with car doors over the years.

Regards,

FT

I drove away from a spot once forgetting two fully rigged trout rods on the roof. As I pulled onto the main road, I heard them scratch across the roof and saw them fall onto the street through the rear view mirror. I quickly stopped, jumped out of the car and rescued them from an oncoming vehicle. 

Needless to say, I was very lucky and the equipment was not damaged. I now usually breakdown my gear before anything else when returning to the car. If not, then the rigged rod/reel goes under the driver's side windshield wiper.  

Things left on the roof of the car by me while putting stuff into car have about a 40% chance of disappearing. It's amazing. I always tell myself not to do it but sometimes it's just so easy.

Will keep an eye out, I frequent that area. One time I left my keys on the roof my of truck (key FOB is detachable) and drove from Yaphank to Commack on a windy morning. Shockingly they never fell off. 

Hopefully it gets found an returned.

It is amazing that there is such a large fraternity of this unfortunate incident, one of the simplest cures  for this is two place the rod on the hood in front of the steering wheel with the rod leaning on the roof.

I am sure there is a guy out there that went home who wanted a new outfit and actually went home and told the wife, honey your not going to believe this, "I did it again".

I had one go flying overboard in front of my eyes while running my boat at 25 kts.  The line blew over and the water resistance pulled the rod right out of the boat.  Fortunately it was in about 8 ft of clear water over a sand bottom so I was able to find it and get it back.  

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, bonefishdick said:

one of the simplest cures  for this is two place the rod on the hood in front of the steering wheel with the rod leaning on the roof.

I like that idea.

We just have to remember to do this. :)

FT