flyntus

Spinning Reel (on a budget)

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

So, I am able to get a mojo 10'6" (3/4-4 oz) rod for around $200.00.  I'm looking for a spinning reel for it and would like to keep it under $180.00.  I know that is asking a lot, but I need some advice on a decent reel that won't break the bank for me.  I will be using the rod for casting plugs, spoons, and jigs for red drum, spotted seatrout (specs) and anything else I can catch in the Texas Gulf Coastal area near Galveston.

I have a Cabela's near me and was thinking of their Salt Striker spinning reel.  It's only $70 and I'm worried its to rinky dink for moderate use, so I need some suggestions.

Thanks!

Flyntus

2 mins ago, flyntus said:

So, I am able to get a mojo 10'6" (3/4-4 oz) rod for around $200.00.  I'm looking for a spinning reel for it and would like to keep it under $180.00.  I know that is asking a lot, but I need some advice on a decent reel that won't break the bank for me.  I will be using the rod for casting plugs, spoons, and jigs for red drum, spotted seatrout (specs) and anything else I can catch in the Texas Gulf Coastal area near Galveston.

I have a Cabela's near me and was thinking of their Salt Striker spinning reel.  It's only $70 and I'm worried its to rinky dink for moderate use, so I need some suggestions.

Thanks!

Flyntus

BG5000. I have it on a 10’6” TFO which is essentially the same as a Mojo and it’s a great reel for the price. Probably ~$110. 

4 mins ago, flyntus said:

Thanks for the suggestion PlumFisher.  I will see if I can get my hands on one to get a feel for it.

Flyntus

Check out Alan Hawk’s BG review on his web site. He gives it very high marks. 

I actually picked mine up at Cabelas near me, so yours may have them as well. 

Good luck!

You posted this in the distance casting forum, are you looking for a long cast reel? If so Penn recently released 2 LC lines, one is the Spinfisher VI, the other the Conflict II. They have long cast spools and are available in 5000 sizes for about $180 if you look around.

Yes, I am looking for distance.  I found out that the Cabela's Salt Striker reels are made by Okuma.  I can get a 5,000 sized one for about $40.00.  I think I am going to try that.  The thing is, I don't know if I want to put over a hundred dollars worth of braid on it.  I don't know what to do.  Put 20lb braid on it or go with 15lb mono?!!

Having said all of this, I am still open to suggestion.  If there are other reels I should be looking at that are below $200, please let me know.

Thanks!

Flyntus

Everyone wants distance, but seems you are more interested in cost. 

You don’t need to pack a spool with braid, you can use mono or backing material and keep it to ~200 yards braid.

PowerPro or Jbraid for cost efficiency. 

I am really digging the Spinfisher VI.  I wish I could get my hands on one.  Unfortunately, here on the Texas Gulf Coast we are in the dark ages when it comes to long distance casting and products being offered by merchants.

Flyntus

At the edge of your price point, (if you search on fleabay), is the very smooth and long casting shimano stradic fk 5000. I'd go with 10-20lb braid and a mono leader. This is one you could enjoy and move from rod to rod in the future. Just to provide more of range in choices.....

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, flyntus said:

I am really digging the Spinfisher VI.  I wish I could get my hands on one.  Unfortunately, here on the Texas Gulf Coast we are in the dark ages when it comes to long distance casting and products being offered by merchants.

Flyntus

1) Breakaway Tackle and Development is located in Corpus Christi, TX - they are one of, if not the, pioneer of Long Distance Fishing Tackle in the US.

2) You can purchase Penn Spinfisher and Conflict LC reels directly from Penn via their website

3) You can purchase LC tackle directly from Carolina Cast Pro via their website

4) Hatteras Jack/Advanced Fishing USA is another on-line source for LC tackle

I am sure their are others I do not know about