juang123

Lures in Murky/Dirty Water

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Howdy! Fishing newbie here with another question, what are some good lures or lure colors for dirty/murky water? I'm targeting schoolie striped bass and bigger. There's a lot of rain coming my way down here in CT, but I just can't wait the two to three days of water clearing up after all this rain. That's probably just what I have to do to catch a few fish but I still really wanna try! The conditions are probably gonna be cloudy, breaks in between when its gonna rain in the day, I'm gonna fish in a creek and then the mouth that connects it to a channel and marina/harbor. I hate playing damn video games inside and would rather save it for the winter! All help is VERY appreciated!!!

Tight lines!

A general rule of thumb is that black contrasts better than others in murky water. Firetiger or white with black mackerel bars was always a go-to in muddy river mouths all the years I fished in CT. If fishing ok a bright night, some chrome wouldn’t hurt either. 

Yes, rattle. Noises like a couple of metal dipsy sinkers knocking into each other.

If there’s rocks around, rig a bait style approach with cheap lead at the end and a short dropper loop just above. Put a hook with soft plastic on that dropper. Cast out and let the lead hit the rocks to make a knocking sound. You’ll snag but you might convince a striper that your offering is a crustacean making a click sound on the rocks. 

I also have read other people say, and tend to have had this experience, that jerkbait style retrieve and the swimming plugs with the most motion work best in chocolate water. Maybe a rapala xrap, and hard cranking an sp minnow or some metal lips. 

I also tend to believe that bigger is better in dirty water conditions - no matter what “the hatch” is at that time. 

Ive seen TimS say pretty consistently that the best lure in chocolate milk surf is basically just clams! (Obviously tongue in cheek about the clams being a lure, but you get the point.)

All else fails, enjoy your time playing video games. I miss those days!

I've never spent a lot of time fishing for Stripers in water that was muddy, or even "murky". I grew up fishing the Chesapeake bay & tribs and no place was really clear water, but it wasn't dirty /muddy either. 

My all time favorite LM bass lure in muddied water is a big, heavy all black spinnerbait, that has a heavier skirt than I normally use and the largest Colorado blade that will fit in it & won't cause it to turn on it's side. The idea here is black shows well, and the big, heavy & bulky skirt & blade moves and pushes a lot of water & produces a lot of vibrations. So, I agree with what others have said, and something similar should work as well for Stripers. Big, bulky & noisy. 

I have also caught bass, and Striped Bass on big Rat L Traps in all black, and bright colors in water that wasn't very clear, but not muddy. This being the ounce or 1 1/2 oz size Traps. Again, big, push water and makes vibrations & noisy. 

I always did better with black, but I know some guys who swear by the bright colors and that works well for them. The color probably is the least important feature. 

Some of the black Traps I've used were repainted, flat black, not original color. 

Depends on how murky

YooHoo colored water I stick with the brightest white I have or chartreuse (which I'm usually not a big fan of in the salt). Plastic with rattles is good

Just a bit off color then white or black

Best of all, stinky bunker chunks, they don't need to see that

I know this isn’t very helpful, but you might want to look around for a spot with cleaner water unless you’re sure that fish are holed up there or unless you can’t get to other spots. If you’re limited to these spots, I’d say give dark colored swimmers and anything with a rattle a shot. I usually use dark SS bottle swimmers for night fishing in heavier surf but they might work here due to the color contrast and aggressive rattle. Never rule out a top water approach causing a ruckus on the surface with a popper either.

The water you'll be fishing most likely will be shallow. You could try a popper on the surface. The action of this lure will give off good vibes from the splashing on the surface. 

sounds crazy but if condition with wind and waves allow black musky size spinner bait with purple Colorado blades worked for me in the bay couple times when mudded up really thumps sends out vibration

also had luck on big rattle trap was about 4 inch not sure brand don't have anymore

Edited by onthefly