Jap wrap source, base, heat requirments

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

I've never used the stuff....I've tons of standard heat shrink.

Any local sellers here or on the web?

And for those that have used it..can hot water be poured over it....stove top......hair dryer....heat gun?

And do you recommend a cork tape base?

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Thanks! 

I can't believe the cost of that stuff.

The high end stuff from mcmaster carr is crazy too.

what are you looking at? ~$10 on the bay for a 59" section.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:11 AM, Drew C. said:

what are you looking at? ~$10 on the bay for a 59" section.

I didn't see that.

high shrink from mc master wa slike 80$ - 4 ft

I ordered light grey 3:1 on amazon.......and did the entire butt in it....I have to make sure i don't accidenly throw it away as it looks like a 4 foot piece of pvc electrical conduit.  There's 9' feet of stick so it looks not horrible lmao

Tims

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I didn't see that.

high shrink from mc master wa slike 80$ - 4 ft

I ordered light grey 3:1 on amazon.......and did the entire butt in it....I have to make sure i don't accidenly throw it away as it looks like a 4 foot piece of pvc electrical conduit.  There's 9' feet of stick so it looks not horrible lmao

throw this in the bay

Smooth (NO X Pattern) Heat Shrink Wrap Tubing 59

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

18 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

Just curious, but what is this spray adhesive you use?  Thanks 

3M makes a number of excellent spray adhesives - I've used them for tons of stuff...but never under shrink tubing.

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, i07nyc said:

Any time I use shrink directly on the blank I like to put spray adhesive under it. I have had some shifting with just heat shrink using plate seats on the shrink.

I've had some shift over cord grips, too. Some kind of light adhesive is a good idea.

Shrink wrap over cord, by the way, is, IMHO, the best grip material there is, bar none, on surf rods. It's the way, the truth, and the light. :th:

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

worth mentioning.............if there are any lumps of spray glue under the heat shrink.......they'll show.....Not the worst thing in the world.....but when it's 4' light grey piece of shrink wrap.......it shows.

Tims

I use gel epoxy, the same stuff for reel seats and grips. I use a very thin coat, I make sure that I rotate the shrink grip of the gel to get good coverage and then use the heat gun to shrink. I have never had any lumps or any loose sections.