flyangler

*** is the deal with rampant panic/anxiety attacks among young people?

Rate this topic

372 posts in this topic

Thinking back to my teens and 20s in the late 1970s and early 1980s I cannot think of any time I ever had a “panic attack”. Nor can I think of any friends who had anxiety or panic attacks. Sure, we were worried at times about beer money, girls and getting into schools or jobs, but never debilitating anxiety. 

So, what is the deal with the youts today who seem to have anxiety or panic attacks on a regular basis? High school kids. College. Post college working. What is it about their lives that has them in such a tizzy? 

One of my sons has mentioned this in passing in the past, but never divulged details. Most likely because he knows he will get little sympathy from me or his mom. 

But they think this is real, and that is what matters, no? 

So, have you seen this in your family or people close by? Can anyone shed light on this? 

ETA: A guy at my gym, in his 40s, has said he has anxiety attacks that cost him sleep some nights. I think he is medicated now, but this is not something just for the youts. 

Edited by tomkaz

9 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Thinking back to my teens and 20s in the late 1970s and early 1980s I cannot think of any time I ever had a “panic attack”. Nor can I think of any friends who had anxiety or panic attacks. Sure, we were worried at times about beer money, girls and getting into schools or jobs, but never debilitating anxiety. 

So, what is the deal with the youts today who seem to have anxiety or panic attacks on a regular basis? High school kids. College. Post college working. What is it about their lives that has them in such a tizzy? 

One of my sons has mentioned this in passing in the past, but never divulged details. Most likely because he knows he will get little sympathy from me or his mom. 

But they think this is real, and that is what matters, no? 

So, have you seen this in your family or people close by? Can anyone shed light on this? 

ETA: A guy at my gym, in his 40s, has said he has anxiety attacks that cost him sleep some nights. I think he is medicated now, but this is not something just for the youts. 

Please stifle yourself Mr. Kaz  And another thing, don't be using WTF in a thread title.  :dismay:  Classless fool. 

Not just medicated, but actually going on SSDI for the rest of their lives and along with the disability goes all the perks like housing assistance, EBT cards, WIC, etc, etc, etc. I think it's because the majority of them can't find a meaningful job that supplies them with a decent paycheck and become a self sufficient member of society. Instead of learning a trade where the white collar world passed them by. They don't want to actually do any work and get their hands dirty. Instead they'll become a burden for the rest of society to carry. The lack of skilled tradesmen is going to become a real problem in the near future. I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to get an education and get into a white collar job, it's just not for everyone and that's okay. 

Once, at the track, I hit the first three legs of a Pick 4, and was alive to a five-figure score in the final race. That was a level of anticipation and nervousness that was positively delightful. :th:

Cuz its a damn pampered world for kids where everyone gets a trophy and they only know how to communicate with an actual human through a text.  When they grow up and realize a significant portion of the real business world still exists by communicating verbally with other humans they crumble. 

I was getting skunked on the Mimi once.

The boat was loaded with sharpies, and I was getting anxious.

I had to hit the head.

The sharpies avoided me the rest of the day.

But really, I never had these attacks, my kids, friends, relatives - none of them.

I don't really see it.

1 min ago, fishless said:

Cuz its a damn pampered world for kids where everyone gets a trophy and they only know how to communicate with an actual human through a text.  When they grow up and realize a significant portion of the real business world still exists by communicating verbally with other humans they crumble. 

Also very true. My son-in-law's kid from his first marriage is this way. Texting is fine. When he's standing in front of you, he can barely say hello. He completely freezes up. We took them all to a breakfast buffet not long ago and he came along. He wouldn't eat, wouldn't talk, nothing. I kept try to engage him in conversation and he would just mumble and make noises. My son-in-law yelled at him for being a moron. Things got a bit uncomfortable. :laugh:

Ever see toddler fall down, and they lay there for a few seconds not quite sure if it hurt or not?  If they don't see anyone looking at them, they get right back up, and stumble their way to the next fall, whatever.

But if someone does see it, and they get a look of "oh no, are you okay?!?" on their face, then the toddler starts crying hysterically like an arm fell off, the adults all go running over, everyone makes a big deal out of comforting this poor little child, and the whole room falls apart.

Well, that's what today's "adults" are.  Toddlers, who need to be held, because they think their feelings are hurt.

21 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Please stifle yourself Mr. Kaz  And another thing, don't be using WTF in a thread title.  :dismay:  Classless fool. 

Is there any topic that you might take seriously? WTF is wrong with you?!