Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceman2017

Daiwa Saltist jigging rod for bottom fishing?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A newbie question. The line rating of this rod is 150lb and the lure weight is rated 7.5oz. I tried to fishing for haddock using 12-16oz sinkers (bait, not jigging) and the rod handles the heavy sinkers quite well. 

Does lure weight mean jig weight? 

Is it ok to use sinker above the recommended lure weight? Thanks for your advice.

Model Number Power Action Length
Feet
Pieces Line Wt.
(Lb.)
Lure Wt.
(Ounces)
No.
Guides

STJ59XXHF XXH F 5'9" 1 80-150 5 1/4-7 1/2 7
Edited by iceman2017

I don't know anything about this rod but looking at the specs it looks like something you would use for tuna.

A tad on the heavy side for bottom fishing. 

Same difference, looks like a broom stck, not much flexing,  if your going to jig with it, you shod be ok.

you, dont want a noodle rod , you dont want it flexing too much, as you want to always be in contact with the jig, and be abke to work the jig. I hope this helps. 

Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated. My saltist rid is indeed quite stiff and has lots of backbone.

BTW, I saw a nice blackfish rod rated as: 15-25lb line, 2-8oz sinker, 3/4-2oz lure

Is sinker weight much higher than lure/jig weight? 

I don’t much pay attention to the sinker/lure ratings. Dropping lead to the bottom and casting are two different things within reason. Just go with what you are comfortable with. 

A better question might be more specific to what do want a rod for?

Are you looking for a cod rod or a blackfish rod or a porgy rod? It is all bottom fishing but like golfing one club is not good for the whole course.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I see. Great advice. I meant cod/Pollock fishing in <200 feet water on party boats. The rod is paired with Torque 30 star drag with 50lb braid. 

I also have a Tora tamer 7 feet 20-40lb rod (TOE7040CV, lots of backbone). Which rod is better suitable for cod? Thanks. 

Edited by iceman2017