Sandflee

Splitting roof rafter

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

so I have 2 roof rafters in my attic that are splitting (2X8), access is easy as its a ranch house and its a full attic (not a crawl space) do i just sister it up with a full length rafter?, a partial piece of a (2x8)?  thru bolt it? or adhesive and deck screws?

in addition if the split it opening up is it best to try to close the gap with something like a jack while repairing?

thanks in advance

If you can I would run a full length but a short length is ok as well, depending on the severity. Why is there splitting? Is it causing a dip in the roof? If so, you should think about jacking. Span maybe too long, put collar ties

49 mins ago, Sandflee said:

so I have 2 roof rafters in my attic that are splitting (2X8), access is easy as its a ranch house and its a full attic (not a crawl space) do i just sister it up with a full length rafter?, a partial piece of a (2x8)?  thru bolt it? or adhesive and deck screws?

in addition if the split it opening up is it best to try to close the gap with something like a jack while repairing?

thanks in advance

Ask Ben Lippen, the guy knows stuff and too many guys here comment on stuff they know nothing about. Pics from the outside and inside would be good.  

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

thanks in advance

8ft of 3/4 plywood on each side of the rafter. Glued and screwed into the old rafter. 

Where are they splitting?   Any idea why?  Any notches?  Snow load from past winters?   Maybe sister up the bunch if they aren’t sufficient. 

Agree on 3/4 plywood and adhesive but local inspector wanted through bolts any where I had to reinforce. 

I would place a 2x6 across 2 or 3 floor joists to distribute the weight and then get a 2x6 and wedge it in to straighten out the split. When straight add the sister and nail next to split rafter.  and then bolt it.  try to get about 4 ft. on each side of the split. You could sister it on both sides , but I don't think you will need it? 

Edited by ccb

Thank you all, i will take a pic and post it tonight, the roof does not see to be sagging not sure why it split, but it is a long span to the to the ridge 

18 hours ago, gray gables said:

8ft of 3/4 plywood on each side of the rafter. Glued and screwed into the old rafter. 

Plywood? not a board?

31 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Plywood? not a board?

I think their suggestion is more like engineered wood. Any chance the spans are so long they cracked from snow load?

Edited by Rip-Line

24 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Thank you all, i will take a pic and post it tonight, the roof does not see to be sagging not sure why it split, but it is a long span to the to the ridge 

since it's a ranch those rafters can't be longer than 16ft. 

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Plywood? not a board?

Where I could put a sister 2x on the same supporting beam and sill using lumber was fine.  Where I was adding strength in the middle they wanted 3/4 ply both sides 

I'm interested to see any pictures. It's a fairly odd thing for rafters to split on most houses. Your locale wouldnt make it any more prone to snow load than mine. I'd have to guess collar ties were removed.

I've sistered rafters before with 3/4" plywood glued and screwed both sides.

I also got handed a job where the guy wanted a cathedral ceiling framed over this exst. room, but had bought 16'  rafters when he needed 20'ers and had no more money to make the change. So I changed the o.c. spacing to 24" and made six piece rafters, glued , nailed, and ledger locked. Inspector looked at "change" work, and the pictures I took of the process so he knew I was honest, and said "Well that's some ingenious work. Good problem solving, lol."

As for what ccb mentioned... That can work/help if needed but......

You must realize that your ceiling joist are not as big as your floor joists. They are only rated to carry the weight of the sheetrock and insulation and storage. Not what is called a live load. Furniture and people moving around. If you try to jack against a that kind of base you can do great damage to the ceiling below. Nail pops, cracks, or worse, if there is no supporting wall underneath. In other words, trying to jack up a rafter without the equal or more opposing force below can be catastrophic.  But, you might could do it and be fine, lol. Dont crack yer living room ceiling.

looks like homeowner did that ?  Figured there wasn't a lot of weight on it because of the pitch?   Crazy?

Didn't want to go back to the Lumber Yard? or ran out of money?