Shifting Sands

Rate this topic

CharlieK

I fish IBSP exclusively and after the storm it is amazing how much sand got moved. All of the bars, cuts and holes are gone but they will reform for sure. Now that is a hard packed solid beach so I am curious about how the beaches you fish that have recent or ongoing beach replenishment weathered the storm.

Also, I can remember fishing the Sea Bright area a few years back

after the beach was replenished and I walked onto areas that were very dangerous. A few steps into the wrong spot and I sank almost to my waist in quicksand.  Sudsy would have been RIP.

So how did your beach survive?

Pppppbbbbbssssttttt !!!

You're just lucky your walker didn't get stuck

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Charlie,

I noticed that the last beach I was on after the blow was Sea Girt, and though I love the place the sand is often that soft, smushy crap that takes twice the effort to walk on, but after the blow it was smooth and firm down by the water like our beaches used to be, a noticeable difference, Probably won't last.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

IBSP is totally flat? I hope that indeed does not last. I usually get there each Fall and love the steep surf line and all of that soft structure. So different from the CMC beaches I’m usually fishing regularly in Spring. (Summer it’s sod banks in CMC.)

Is it still at least steep & deep compared to SJ?

I would love to understand how some storms create new holes and structure while other ones wash it away. By my in laws’ house, we had a few nice holes and cuts in early Spring that only lasted a brief time until some other front came through and returned it to the great salt lake of usual. 

I hit ssp and IBSP last December. It wasn’t as well formed as 2015 - the first year I hit that section, but there were sizeable cuts and bars and troughs. In OC, I found it so nice to wade out to the bar and find deep water on either side it where I can try so many different presentations. I very rarely find that in CMC no matter which beach I hit. The “deep” water in the troughs surrounding the bar is thigh high at best. Then the few deep & steep beach, which is rare, it’s just deep and no “wade-able” bar.  

Let’s hope that the replenishment sand does not run south to ruin IBSP. I hadn’t thought of that & it’s a frightening scenario. 

Does anyone have any insight as to how long it takes after beach replenishment was performed before things get to where replenishment is no longer a factor? There has been a lot of talk these last several weeks about the chocolate milk effect of replenishment after storms. The soft sand is easily churned up creating the YooHoo look of the near shore waters. The area I live hasn't had replenishment since 2014. The sands aren't really that soft when walking by the water's edge. But it still turns to YooHoo after a good blow (is there a bad blow?). 

So any thoughts on the length of time it takes for replenishment to not have a negative impact on the beach?

Thanks!