UncleJohn

November 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,360 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MC55 said:

Started north again this morning and the water there was back to clean and clear and flat.  Still not seeing any bait around, but did get 5 dinks, including a double header, along with one that was outside of the dink range.  Had a bunch of other hits with those small fish, but nothing more staying on the hook.  Took a move to the south and found a fleet of boats just off the beach.  Seeing that, figured I made the wrong decision to start north.  Talked to a couple guys to see if anything came to the sand, but nothing did so didn't miss anything.  Took out the binoculars and watched the head boats for awhile and never saw a single hook up or fish come over the rails.  They were all fishing bunker.  I'm sure they were marking fish, they just weren't feeding. Plan on giving it another look later.

DSCF2511.JPG

DSCF2513.JPG

Fished Friday and caught the skunk. Told my buddy when we started out I was going to try and imitate MC55’s technique. At least as best I can figure out from your posts. Been noticing yellow in your soft baits lately. Doh! Only had white! I’m a newbie so I’ll keep trying. Thanks for your info MC55!

made the walk to the tip. My usually Veteran  day trip north. Thank you to all the Vets. 

As far as fishing goes. Saw nothing bay side that made me want to stop. Been years since I have seen bunker in the bay in November, peanuts or the big boys. At the top, only fish I saw were some shad. Bait was around. Fished my way back to lot. Nothing. Hit a few other places south, nothing. At least i raked the leaves. 

After a great September and October of bass fishing, mostly in the back and picking a few here and there out front, the past two weeks has been mostly skunk filled for me. attributed i think mostly to this weather pattern and the clock change making it difficult for me to fish much after work. Had a day off today and caught about 20 small bass in MonCo tight to the jetties on rain fish. all on soft plastics. saw the fleet out front but didn't see much action. Would love to see some bait other than rain fish in the surf.

Heading out tomorrow am for 4 hours before work. Fish are around just need to be in it to win it when the shore surge happens. Will post the results when I get to the desk....cheers!

1 hour ago, Fishlessjoe said:

Fished Friday and caught the skunk. Told my buddy when we started out I was going to try and imitate MC55’s technique. At least as best I can figure out from your posts. Been noticing yellow in your soft baits lately. Doh! Only had white! I’m a newbie so I’ll keep trying. Thanks for your info MC55!

Bring a Magic Marker......easy way to add color.

Had off of work today so tried to make the best of it. Started out at 530 Am in nomoco. First stop came up empty but started to see some birds working a little south of me, so I hopped back in the car and tried to get ahead of them, but they never came in to shore.  I ended up with 3 small bass though.  Decided to make a move that turned into probably 10 moves if not more. 1 spot I saw some swirls in the water and was very excited until I realized they were shad. I ended up with 6 of them 1 being pretty big. Ended my day almost 12 hours later with a count of 3 bass and 6 shad and probably almost 60 miles of shore driven.  I am sorry but if anyone says the population of bass is strong right now punch them in the face and then steal their log book because I would really like to know where they are.

12 mins ago, Ripnowell45 said:

Had off of work today so tried to make the best of it. Started out at 530 Am in nomoco. First stop came up empty but started to see some birds working a little south of me, so I hopped back in the car and tried to get ahead of them, but they never came in to shore.  I ended up with 3 small bass though.  Decided to make a move that turned into probably 10 moves if not more. 1 spot I saw some swirls in the water and was very excited until I realized they were shad. I ended up with 6 of them 1 being pretty big. Ended my day almost 12 hours later with a count of 3 bass and 6 shad and probably almost 60 miles of shore driven.  I am sorry but if anyone says the population of bass is strong right now punch them in the face and then steal their log book because I would really like to know where they are.

Thanks for saying the truth. the kill counts im seeing on social media is sickening. Big girls too. The question is when does it all come to a head? Its almost like the housing market from 2000-2006. The buck got passed by every banker, analyst, and politician all said there's nothing to see here even as more people began to default. Than by 07, 08. it all fell. No im not comparing people losing there homes to fishing, just the mindset. ignore, divert, deny, coverup...than watch the **** hit the fan. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Off of work today too so I headed out front in SoMoCo today. Fished 1000-1200 and caught the gnarly skunk. Had a good bump on a 5" white swim shad as soon as I got there but nothing afterwards. Water was clear and calm which was a nice change but didn't see any bait except for some rain bait early on. It was pretty dead throughout the day. There was a whole fleet of boats just off the shore too. Don't know if they were running into anything but they stayed there a while before slowly heading south. Was hoping that whatever they were on would push at the turn of the tide but nothing happened. The skunk still beats working though...

8 hours ago, BigBen425 said:

Off the surf I use a 4” floro leader usually 40-50lb test to a 180lb swivel.. I’ll then put a glass bead on my main line, a fishfinder rig clip, and another bead. About 6-10 feet up from the swivel I’ll tie a stop knot on.. for the balloon any 12” bright balloon will work, I go to the dollar store for a pack of 12 for a dollar. I blow  the ballooon up just about all the way so it catches more wind and attatch the nipple of the balloon to the clip on the fish finder rig already attached to my main line. When it’s really dark or I’m sending my bait out over 150 yards I’ll put a small glow stick in the balloon to track it. When it’s ripping out of the West the balloon will travel pretty quickly off shore normally when I get to an ideal distance I’ll just close the bail and let him swim around. The hits are really fun two things will happen either the balloon will come flying back in shore (fish on), the balloon will pop and (fish on) or the fish will burn the balloon off right off. 

If your fishing around really rocky or snag filled areas like inlets and bridges, add an egg sinker and estimate the depth.. you will catch this way too.

i was considering floating a whole bunker out 200 yards on my penn Baja special on my 12” conventional surf rod to the fleet of boats crushing big fish yesterday but decided against it. 

Getting desperate lol

Funny, I was talking to a buddy about trying this tactic from the tips of any inlet during the right winds and tides. He immediately thought of using glow sticks. Very clever idea. Appreciate you taking a minute to break it down.

moco.... fished the incoming through high tonight... relatively flat water and relatively clear.  wind was building from the south and there was a light rain falling.  had really high hopes as it was a pitch black night and just seemed fishy... wound up walking about a mile of beach and finished the night with 7 bass... all on the lower end of the dink scale... some were dink-ettes.

all fish taken on rubber or teaser.  after the tide came in some bluefish must have come into the mix as it went from small bass on the incoming to getting the plastics cut clean in half with at least 6 or 7 bite offs after high tide.

by the time i left the south wind was starting to whistle and rain was getting more steady.

Kayaked Sunday and Monday in MOCO tons of short bass around feeding on peanuts and sand eels.  No adult bunker where i was.  Switched to toggin and caught a few nice ones up to 21"

Dropped a big unicorn at my feet last night when I grabbed the leader. I was really confused when there wasnt much weight on but drag was peeling like nobodys business. I would guestimate 12#+ and something over 32".

Worked hard for 15 bass...a few teen sized. Still looking for Large Marge

26 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Dropped a big unicorn at my feet last night when I grabbed the leader. I was really confused when there wasnt much weight on but drag was peeling like nobodys business. I would guestimate 12#+ and something over 32".

Worked hard for 15 bass...a few teen sized. Still looking for Large Marge

Tiderunner ? 

Edited by UncleJohn