Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Estero Bay - 10,000 Islands, Everlades City....Red Tide Effects?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

looks as if aI am going to miss you . Tides are a bit sucky for early morning fishing end of out going.  check out the Sandbar for a great meal on marco.  On the way to snook inn and behind the walker boat store.  Hoping to not bring any major front with me this week.  Need a couple of days on the water,  

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of the reasons for heading North was the tide.  As soon as I hit the water in the morning  it will be incoming tide. No boats around with fish crashing small bait against the mangroves.  I found two more funnels to check out in the morning at Marco Island. It was lights out when it was on. On this whole trip the outgoing tide afternoon sucks. 

Water is cool down in Choko and somewhat cool up in Marco Island. 

I will  have one more day in the backwaters before going towards Miami. 

0B53D27A-7B3A-462B-B989-803878FC417A.png

F4929AC0-B974-4A85-9A7F-F2AB1C1055B9.png

Edited by The Riddler

Sounds like your having a good time exploring,    The photo of the Cuban Sandwich looked good.  :drool:

I might have to make one soon.

Riddler The Pirate!   It's got a ring to it.

The photo's are great.  Good luck on the East Coast.   

Edited by flylikabird

Hobie Outback great in the back waters.  As soon as you are in open water on the gulf? Sucks. Worse in 1’ chop. Noisy and salt water droplets reach the sunglasses...lol... get along ganigish!

Fly, you would love my motel made Snook and shrimp Ceviche!  I had so much I ended up getting toritillas from the market and dumped it in with extra cilantro! 

B38DB060-3DBA-4322-9ED9-80D94EED45FE.jpeg

0086F766-904B-477E-B650-1F5C5C067D8B.jpeg

Slow today.  Handful of small jacks and snook.  No bait getting pushed around offshore was dead. Caxambas Park!  4 bucks to launch.  Worth it!

20AEC0B2-639E-4653-BD06-08F2D5837AAE.jpeg

I have been to Florida a bunch of times.  The fun is exploring and finding new areas to fish in the kayak for me. 

Some areas produce some don’t. 

What does suck about Florida is the overpopulation and over development.  In the 20 years I’ve been coming down here it’s noticeable worse. Still there is good back waters fishing and some seclusion that keeps me coming back. 

Now on the opposite side of the spectrum is this growing offshore kayak fishing community for Pelagics from West Palm to Miami. I came down a couple of years ago in search of sailfish from the kayak but came up empty.  I will have two days out with a guide and see what happens. It’s been good this month for sails and even wahoo so I will see what happens. Should be fun. 

Edited by The Riddler

On 11/6/2018 at 0:11 PM, The Riddler said:

Slammed em. Once I found the first funnel it was on from 7-9:30 then a dolphin cam in and it was party over.  Nice size jacks, nice snook , black drum mixed in and some rat reds.   Nice variety!  Came out front late morning for some small Spanish Mack’s in the bird pile. Trolled around a plug looking for Kings but no go.  Saw a couple of big reds way out cruising. Thought they were sharks. They didn’t want anything.  Still good to see.

0A72027F-DB45-4A13-B397-ABF294733766.jpeg

57F38E09-9140-48CC-88DE-178252ACB773.jpeg

FF8FE228-5AC9-4799-AC97-98A9F21516BF.jpeg

Good to see you are "representing" for the Sox down there !!!!

Slammed em. Once I found the first funnel it was on from 7-9:30 then a dolphin cam in and it was party over.  Nice size jacks, nice snook , black drum mixed in and some rat reds.   Nice variety!  Came out front late morning for some small Spanish Mack’s in the bird pile. Trolled around a plug looking for Kings but no go.  Saw a couple of big reds way out cruising. Thought they were sharks. They didn’t want anything.  Still good to see.

Ok, guys ...I had a sailfish on it jumped and landed on the leader and parted it! It was awesome while it lasted.  King Mack’s are still around and got into those. There are a ton of medium and tiny black fin tuna around going ape **** on glass minnows.  Last day of the trip in the morning hoping to get into sails again. An experience I will never forget!

The moment of of the day was getting hit by a whale shark. I crapped my pants. The tail of the whale shark was higher than the rod in the milk rod holder. I had no idea what was happening other than I thought I got hit by a huge shark that attacked the fins and rudder of the Hobie Outback.   It thrashed and I thought I was going over.  The only reason why I did not tip over was because I deployed my legs out the sides. The kid I was with knew it was a whale shark and said it was rare. I think Whale Sharks are cool but not out on open water surfacing or trying to hump the kayak. All I could see was a swimming tail and a massive head wider than the Hobie Outback. It had to be 30’ long and I was on its back. 

ABB90978-FBCD-4F62-8293-7BD8F9063485.jpeg

A2B0A8E2-FBF1-4032-929D-EF537FFCF9F4.jpeg

1F2A837D-310C-48C3-90C9-9ABA1E599F9A.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Scott, you have to get out here.  They got sails, kings, black fin tuna busting all over and ass raping whale sharks now!!!