Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Estero Bay - 10,000 Islands, Everlades City....Red Tide Effects?

51 posts in this topic

Just looked at moon now. I like it. 

C79E25E3-6D08-4015-AF74-3CC48BD13F32.png

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

What are you tossing for poon? 

Yesterday I was getting them on DOA Cal shads, white/gold fleck, root beer/chartreuse tail, and green(?) on 1/8th oz jigheads. Was doing reel good on Gulp swimming mullet in pearl previously.

Edited by Stuu
1 person likes this

Got out for 2 hours today before dark, just the dreaded catfish.  Last few of the outgoing tough tide. 

Ready to to go in the morning hard.  Should be good on the incoming. 

Posted (edited)

Got a nice 8 hours sleep and was up at 6am and got my anglers breakfast at Island Cafe. 

After eating leaving to the National Park to a Glorious Sunrise. On the way to the park I bumped into about 12 Kayak anglers.  Guides, Pro’s and Civilians like myself.  It’s nice to see kayak fishing become popular!

The flood tide west of the ramp was hot at the turn of the tide till 10am.  The majority were small jacks, small snook, small ladies , small trout followed by some larger trout and a larger snook. All caught on small plastic and 1/16oz jig head. I am waiting for the tide to turn now maybe give it another hour two before returning to The Hacienda!  A good first day.

D5DBE47D-B182-4B23-8AA8-D3B76E97FE81.jpeg

361BE17D-CA75-4A97-9E82-A171F73E02AA.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited)

Rice and Beans and a Cuban!  Glad to see Choko is thriving again!

Home made hot sauce with some kick!

346A3365-9BFA-45A3-8FAC-B288FDC73283.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited)

Talked to a few anglers here who seem to be serious and the fishing is reported to be slow.  On the gulf side there are reports of tiny grouper and jewfish willing to hit Along the oyster bars and holes. I would love to add a new species to the kayak. 

Edited by The Riddler

Riddler if you find any down trees or mangroves blown over in the edges, fish them. The bigger thicker trunk and just under the water line is a good spot to check out. A few times I’ve caught just a small mangrove to have a grouper come up and grab it. Quite a few times you’ll find that Goliath you are looking for. Just think largemouth bass like freshwater, the Goliath likes a good tangle of branches. 

Absolutely slow today.  Saw one decent red in the eddy but was just cruising by.  A handful of small jacks today bailed me out.  Fished choko bay from the island to the second set of channel markers.  Same water yesterday had the fish but not today. 

Pulling the the plug and heading north towards Estero Bay.  Hopefully more Reds there and may poke out front for some ocean action.

5A44AED3-F9ED-42D1-8A1F-641AC8BB674C.jpeg

Riddler there has been Spanish macs around about a mile off shore. Look for the birds and the macs are with them. Now this is from a friend and it’s two weeks old, but it does give you some direction. 

Based on the tide and its strength Big Carlos Pass normally carries macs too. It’s a big pass and the current can be daunting. 

The macs are big and hitting bucktails. 

Other area that normally gets good run of macs is off Wiggins Pass. Search for Cocahatchee river and it has a ramp there. It’s on Vanderbilt off rt41, in Naples. From there it’s a short paddle to the pass. That whole area is big and a lot of water to cover inside too. Lots of boat traffic on weekends. 

If your in the area of big carlos and looking for a break. Paddle up to Flippers. Good food, a bit expensive based on what you get. It’s between big and Little Carlos. You can tie up there. 

Across from flippers is a large area of flats. Head straight across from the dock and past the slow speed manatee sign, keep going your find it. 

If you leave out of Little Carlos, there’s a ramp at the park but a little further north on Estero Blvd and at a small bridge. Launch at the concrete wall, head east around the first large island. Past it is a island with a dock, that’s Mound key. Check out the dock and the surrounding mangroves. I’ve hooked some bigger snook around that island. 

You should see some sheepshead around that dock. 

Thanks for the tips.  I met a guy from New England here and it was suggested to fish Marco Island Northern 10k Island.  Have the launch point at the park. I think this is a good plan to fish the gulf side and back waters. 

I fiahed Estero this afternoon and got one rat red up on the grass flats.  Sucked taking the Hobie Outback up there. I had to ditch the drive for a few hours it was so shallow. Not my cup of sight casting from a Kayak. 

Hopefully I will be in the Marco Island area for a couple of days and explore. 

D7373989-1F26-4D73-9464-88A906125E1E.png

Posted (edited)

You free Wednesday ? We can catch baby Tarpon on land, or I can point you to a small launch spot that will get you into lots of stuff. 

Edited by Stuu

Wed is my last day before going to East coast. Don’t know if I will have the time. If the fishing is good at Marco Island Tuesday stay till wed there or take a trip back to choko I guess. Playing it by ear...Do my fishing from the kayak down here.  Not much of a land lubber here. Thanks for the offer.. 

Slammed em. Once I found the first funnel it was on from 7-9:30 then a dolphin cam in and it was party over.  Nice size jacks, nice snook , black drum mixed in and some rat reds.   Nice variety!  Came out front late morning for some small Spanish Mack’s in the bird pile. Trolled around a plug looking for Kings but no go.  Saw a couple of big reds way out cruising. Thought they were sharks. They didn’t want anything.  Still good to see.

0A72027F-DB45-4A13-B397-ABF294733766.jpeg

57F38E09-9140-48CC-88DE-178252ACB773.jpeg

FF8FE228-5AC9-4799-AC97-98A9F21516BF.jpeg