Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Estero Bay - 10,000 Islands, Everlades City....Red Tide Effects?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Looking for a quick get away this week. Planning on fishing Estero Bay for a day or two and then head to Everglades City and fishing another  couple of days and head out to 10,000 Islands. Has the red tide killed off this area?  Is good now or bad? 

Thanks in Advance

Riddler, I haven’t kept up on the conditions over the past week plus. I also haven’t heard of any one that is fishing the area of Estero bay. I was along Estero Blvd two weekends ago and it was pretty empty with fisherman or boats out. Couple people on a bridge at Big Carlos Pass. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help, just been busy doing other stuff. 

It could be an effected area. I don't have time to drive down from Boston this year and stop off at Navarre and then move on down the coast. Right now I think my best bet into Fort Myers and pick up the kayak in Naples and head on down to the Everglades South to Chokoloskee. Then just fish at least 2 days down in 10,0000 islands see what's happening. If it sucks I can salvage the trip by heading East to Miami and bang out something offshore and maybe find something decent inshore to Biscayne Bay if the offshore waters are too big. I'd rather not do Miami as I like the west coast side but just don't know how bad the red tide is.

I think I am going at the right time. This fish have to start feeding there.

Naples to Flamingo
Includes Naples, Marco Island, Everglades City and Chokoloskee

Weather and Tides

With the passing of the full moon on Wednesday, expect weekend tides to be a bit stronger and higher/lower than normal and more so than last weekend. Expect a dead water period just after first light with our first negative tide of the year happening about an hour after sunrise, then giving way to a very aggressive incoming tide the balance of the day, peaking out around mid to late-afternoon, depending on where you are at in the region. Weather as we all know is PERFECT….humidity is gone, a slight chill in the air for the morning boat rides and water temps should start dropping. It’s about to get REAL good ladies and gents.

Also just saw the closure area. That tells me heading South is a better bet maybe because it looks like there are problems and they are trying to manage it.

REDFISH-AND-SNOOK-CLOSURE-MAP-1.jpg

Riddler, the closure is a C&R of snook and reds due to the number of fish lost from the red tide. You can still target them, just not a keeper allowed. 

Check closer for red tide alerts. Looks like Charlotte county has red tide in some quantity.  A front is moving down fromthe north and that will bring NW winds, that could push some red tide our way. 

Heres a link for FWC alerts with relationship to red tide. 

http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

Collier County has been beautiful the past few weeks, winds were east, water was beautiful, the fish were plentiful. Winds have been south the past 36 hours, and for tomorrow. I think you’ll be fine. 

I think that weather/tide report was the week before, no ?

I figured if there was a catch and release there the fishing would have had a great amount of red tide damage. 

I will be ready to fish Sunday morning , probably launch at Chokoloskee.  Love thst area.  I will stay there at least a couple of days or more if the fishing is good. 

Riddler, the weather forecast is for the humidity level to creep up a bit again. It won’t be like it was a month ago, but still a little sticky. Temps in the upper 80s during the day and 70s at night. Also strong chance of rain on Sunday. 

Riddler heading to choko next week, fishing has been awesome.  Even at the worst of it we had no issues in Choko/EC.  They are taking Snook and very large trout in the bay from kayak.  Will be down next Wednesday night late for 6 days.  Let me know if ya needs some details for the area.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Yes, I can read the weather. :laugh:

You sure ? The full moon was Wednesday  10/24, not Wednesday 10/31. 

Anywho, fishing was great in the backcountry this mornin, hooked seven (small) Tarpon, landed 2, plus a small snook.

South winds again today for me, supposed to swing North tomorrow.

Have a great trip !

Edited by Stuu

8 hours ago, ScottO said:

Riddler heading to choko next week, fishing has been awesome.  Even at the worst of it we had no issues in Choko/EC.  They are taking Snook and very large trout in the bay from kayak.  Will be down next Wednesday night late for 6 days.  Let me know if ya needs some details for the area.  

Scott, sounds great. I am doing an offshore trip in Miami with a guide Thursday and Friday.  You are welcome to come man!

The rest of the time I will be doing Choko and maybe Ostero Bay.  If you are around I will stay in the area.  I may stay at the Ivey or just bounce around the area. I will pm you my number. My flight is leaving at 5am. Conditions look great! 

Edited by The Riddler

7 hours ago, Stuu said:

You sure ? The full moon was Wednesday  10/24, not Wednesday 10/31. 

Anywho, fishing was great in the backcountry this mornin, hooked seven (small) Tarpon, landed 2, plus a small snook.

South winds again today for me, supposed to swing North tomorrow.

Have a great trip !

I have no idea where the full moon report is coming from.  Haven’t looked yet.  Last time I was there was January a couple of years back, found good snook reds on the flood but no poon. 

What are you tossing for poon? 

Edited by The Riddler