12 Gauge tactical or AR platform

Rate this topic

Spigola

If the question is shotgun or rifle for home defense the answer is always shotgun, period, not even arguable.

Open choke on a short barrel for a wider pattern angle allows a much larger margin for a hit on a mis-aimed shot, very likely in a super high stress situation.

Less wall penetration so you don't shoot the wife, kids, dog, neighbor.....

As for what shotgun and load, that's a discussion that can go on for pages

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

32 mins ago, Sudsy said:

If the question is shotgun or rifle for home defense the answer is always shotgun, period, not even arguable.

Is completely arguable.

A trained shooter with a properly equipped M4 carbine is the single most versatile home defense solution, especially at night/in the dark.

There is a reason why military and police use rifles for CQB (armed movement in structures) instead of handguns and shotguns (well, shotguns are used for door breaching).

41 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Open choke on a short barrel for a wider pattern angle allows a much larger margin for a hit on a mis-aimed shot, very likely in a super high stress situation.

Less wall penetration so you don't shoot the wife, kids, dog, neighbor.....

As for what shotgun and load, that's a discussion that can go on for pages

If using buckshot it's absolutely going into the next room. If using slugs it's going 3 rooms over. 

I've seen very positive results (online) when using BB shot. Good penetration on bad guys and not much over penetration. 

"Trained" Take that out of the equation and it's a completely different scenario 

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Pace off the longest hallway or room in your home.

Use that distance at the range to set up this target

2-papcard-scen-hostage_N.jpg

Engage the threat with a head shot with your choice of shotgun, pistol, or rifle.

Then,

Turn off the lights.

Engage the threat with a head shot with your choice of shotgun, pistol, or rifle (equipped with a white light, a sling, and a red dot sight).

Repeat - quadrupling or quintupling the distance to deal with a target that might be outside your home who is forcing your loved one to open the front door.  Or is forcing your loved one into a car.  Etc.

There is only one platform that wins.

Just now, LBI SurfRat said:

I've seen very positive results (online) when using BB shot. Good penetration on bad guys and not much over penetration. 

I'm loaded with #3 turkey loads in a tactically set up 1100 with open choke and a backup .357 mag and a scary dog alarm system.

Even though I'm not tactically trained I have confidence that trouble can be handled

I never understood the light thing - Bad guy just shoots at the light.

9 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I never understood the light thing - Bad guy just shoots at the light.

night vision optics and an appropriate IR laser will set you back $5,000 or more.

white light is what all of us (esp those of us who fish at night) have on hand to locate, identify, and engage a threat in the home.  you just got to get to him faster, and you're not going to do that (a head shot) with a shotgun or even pistol.  that takes practice.

Edited by fishweewee

Since pistols were not in the choice list:

my 10 shot Benelli M4 loaded with single 0 buck

or

my Molot Vepr 12 with a 12 round mag filled with single 0 buck.

AR's are all locked up and not even in the running.

Anger is no more a requirement of killing,
than fear is a requirement of dying.

Today I will do what others won't so tomorrow I can do what others can't.