super-fly

Magging a Daiwa Saltiga 30L

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I’m getting back into surf casting and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to mag a saltiga 30 that I have. It’s a great reel and I’d love to add it into my surf fishing gear.

any advice on magging this reel would be appreciated 

83FEAC1D-8F28-42C6-AD96-83C69EE8E9EA.jpeg

2FD9ED0A-21AD-40D4-BB31-0DA096E55F79.jpeg

80087DD0-FF59-429A-BFE5-AB98B1974AE7.jpeg

3C1FC3CB-90F4-4361-B047-8C0D2CE1BF98.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not really possible to answer without seeing left side innards of reel, especially inside view of left side plate. Ryan White of Hatteras Jack's is quite proficient in knobby magging different reel configurations - suggest you contact him.  Closest I have come to your situation is to knobby mag a Daiwa Sealine SLX -30SHA - pictures attached.

0809161857.jpg

0809161858.jpg

0809161858a.jpg

Edited by FlatWing
Gravedigger likes this

On 10/31/2018 at 11:09 AM, super-fly said:

I’m getting back into surf casting and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to mag a saltiga 30 that I have. It’s a great reel and I’d love to add it into my surf fishing gear.

any advice on magging this reel would be appreciated 

83FEAC1D-8F28-42C6-AD96-83C69EE8E9EA.jpeg

2FD9ED0A-21AD-40D4-BB31-0DA096E55F79.jpeg

80087DD0-FF59-429A-BFE5-AB98B1974AE7.jpeg

3C1FC3CB-90F4-4361-B047-8C0D2CE1BF98.jpeg

Static mag should be easy glue rare earth magnets in as close to the spool as you can get them without touching. 1/16 of an inch away Take that side plate off and look in there.You can make the reel very controlled. No need to knobby mag that cost you 10 bucks or less for the couples magnets.  I did it to my saltiest 30 and it helps control it . Some use epoxy I used a little dap of gorilla glue and it worked fine. 

For the Saltist and Saltiga - install the magnets on the right hand / handle side plate, much easier and more effective

Busy with a lever drag Saltiga 30 HS (damn its a nice reel, I want one) for a client, where I have to install in left hand plate...

Laser cut magnetic plate and a bunch of 6x3mm magnets

Saltiga 30 LD HS.jpg

super-fly likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

My saltiga doesn’t have a clicker to get in the way. Not sure if that matters or not. I’ve added some photos of the internals of my saltiga 30L, drive side, side plate etc

834DB434-4AA7-4365-9B15-E7EE027E979F.jpeg

68C78D6B-325C-4621-9FF6-17A73B70B603.jpeg

6DDA197E-43C3-44AC-982B-A9281B4109E0.jpeg

0007F4D2-72E2-477F-86D4-DD54309034E1.jpeg

Edited by super-fly

I’m scared to comment cause I almost gave you some bad info but that’s why I love this site cause you can learn so much if you ask questions  . I’m sure ZA will tell you where to put them . Probably where you can stack 2 and get them close to spool

Adding magnets to the drive side will not be an option on my as there only a tiny bit of clearance. The mags will have to go in the side plate

Plenty of room there for either fixed mags or knobby mag.Try searching "conventional reel knobby mag" and looking at your options before you take the plunge.  I like the adjustability for the surf, as I want less braking with the wind coming out of the west and more with the wind coming out of the east.  I have static magged conventional reels for jigging the PP Canal, and sized them so I can hit the opposite wall casting into the wind, so I thumb the reel if the wind is at my back.  But in the surf, I want maximum distance, so I wind off the mags to where I only have to touch the spool at payload splashdown, regardless of cast weight or wind direction/speed.

3 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Plenty of room there for either fixed mags or knobby mag.Try searching "conventional reel knobby mag" and looking at your options before you take the plunge.  I like the adjustability for the surf, as I want less braking with the wind coming out of the west and more with the wind coming out of the east.  I have static magged conventional reels for jigging the PP Canal, and sized them so I can hit the opposite wall casting into the wind, so I thumb the reel if the wind is at my back.  But in the surf, I want maximum distance, so I wind off the mags to where I only have to touch the spool at payload splashdown, regardless of cast weight or wind direction/speed.

I added 4 mags to the side plate. Forgot to take a picture before I closed it up. I’m going to try it out today to see how it performs. Im sure that I’ll have to make some adjustments