ksong

prototype Black Hole Surf rods

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Mike Basnite and myself tested 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod rated 3 oz - 10 oz using 4 oz - 8 oz sinkers. 

The rod is too light for heavier weight. We concluded the maximum lure weight for the rod is 6 oz.  

That will satisfy 99.99% of lure casters.  No doubt there is one guy out there who makes and casts 8 or 10 oz. plugs, but the heck with him, anyway. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

ok , i been field testing Black- Hole new rod line,the, 10'6", 2-6 oz. ,for the past month now, with the fall run just about done,the reel i used was a Shimano Sustain 6000FE, this new line Kil-Song, is introducing, "is of a thin-diameter, thick-wall" rod design, which is extremely LIGHTWEIGHT,  i for one was never a fan of thin diameter surf rods, meaning being, cause they were of thin wall construction design, and felt under gunned, but this new BH Rod line, is light, and strong, these rods are moderate-fast, and the casting abilities of these rods are outstanding,on the low end, i didn't start at the 2oz. rating of the rod, i went  and started with 1oz., , one oz. bucktails, sp minnows, and ava's, the rod performed, outstanding with 1 oz.,, loaded , cast very good, on the upper end , i threw a 5.5 oz. ex-large bottle plug, leaning into my cast, this rod had no problem loading and casting this large plug, and i feel this rod could and will handle 6 oz., NO problem , as far as performing on catching some fish, i caught many small fish, i did catch one big fish, and the rod had no problem, in handling this bigger fish, this rod is thin diameter, thick walled, with back bone, sensitive, and has the capabilities of casting and landing fish,, this rod has changed my thinking on "Thin-Diameter" surf rods for sure, my name for this rod, i call this,the " Ninja" rod , cause of its smaller diameter , but fights, like a true warrior in the surf, LOL,.....

Edited by lureman

On 11/1/2018 at 2:14 AM, ksong said:

we will introduce 10' and 11'. Those 10'6" prototype rods are just sample to be tested.

ksong, are these an updated (thinner) version of the existing "East Coast Special" rods? If so, will there be a 10' 3/4 - 4 oz version?

Beerdoh, on page 6 of this thread, Kil explains that these are not replacements; they are a new rod series. Mentions info about all surf rods (good read).

When  Kilsong next does a Long Island demo, I'll be there, with assorted plugs & tins, from one to five ounces. A weight range of 500% has been often claimed. I will believe it when I see it ..

but Kilsong I trust.  

Something to look forward to, in the spring.  

All testings are so far so good.

Mike Basnite fought 150 - 200 lb tarpon for 45 minutes before shark took it using 10'6" prototype Black Hole Striped Bass Special rated 3 oz - 10 oz with heavy drag.

He thinks the rod is strong enough. 

I cast a lot with 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz using 1 1/2 oz lure to 4 oz lure on the PV trip.

Here is a casting video of Ross of IRT Reels using light 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz on the PV trip.

2 hours ago, Mbrody said:

Beerdoh, on page 6 of this thread, Kil explains that these are not replacements; they are a new rod series. Mentions info about all surf rods (good read).

Yep I saw that thanks. I realize they aren't replacements but I'm wondering which size, rating and price point (although looks like they have not decided on price) they will fall into. I was guessing that they would compare to what is currently in the East Coast Special lineup based on comments that the new rods will come in 10 & 11' 3/4-4 oz and  10 & 11' 2-6 oz versions. 

These are new lines of surf rods not related to Black Hole East Coast Special rods.

We plan to introduce 10' and 11' surf rods rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz, 2 oz - 6 oz and 3 oz - 10 oz.

Originally I plan to introduce 12' too, but the rod designer said we'd better concentrate on developing 10' and 11' first. 

2 hours ago, ksong said:

These are new lines of surf rods not related to Black Hole East Coast Special rods.

We plan to introduce 10' and 11' surf rods rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz, 2 oz - 6 oz and 3 oz - 10 oz.

Originally I plan to introduce 12' too, but the rod designer said we'd better concentrate on developing 10' and 11' first. 

Thanks for the confirmation ksong. Hopefully they will be available for purchase by spring.