ksong

prototype Black Hole Surf rods

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

Jigstar from South Africa ordered bunch of 13' Black Hole Surf II Heavy along with Black Hole Cape Cod Striper blanks. They asked  bunch of 10'6" Cape Cod Nano heavy blanks,  unfortunately they are out of stock now.

At a guess, members of the Trevally / Jack family; certainly what I will be using the rod for, Leerfish specifically, but will be happy juvenile gt's, bluefins etc

I am informed that new prototype 10' and 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special rods will arrive here in two weeks. 

I am driving to Florida again to test the 10' prototype Striped Bass Special rods.

Main target will be big snook as well as drum. 

As soon as I arrived at Florida, I hooked up a nice drum using prototype 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz and IRT 500 DD reel filled with 40 lb JB Hollow.

I let anglers next to me fight the fish so that I could take pictures and video.

The action looks good.

What a good start. :)

20181129_162102.jpg

20181129_161836.jpg

20181129_161912.jpg

ksong, The Black Hole USA sight lists all rods (except Suzuki) as having "Nano Carbon Techonology (WXW Wide X-Wrapping)". I thought one of your previous replies suggests not all rods have nano wrapping so I'm still confused.

I'm looking for a 10' 1-4oz MF rod and the East Coast Special Surf looks like a contender. Does this rod incorporate nano wrapping?

8 hours ago, beerdoh said:

ksong, The Black Hole USA sight lists all rods (except Suzuki) as having "Nano Carbon Techonology (WXW Wide X-Wrapping)". I thought one of your previous replies suggests not all rods have nano wrapping so I'm still confused.

I'm looking for a 10' 1-4oz MF rod and the East Coast Special Surf looks like a contender. Does this rod incorporate nano wrapping?

All Black Hole USA rods have Nano. Some have more and some have less.

I fished with Black Hole USA pro staff Mike Basnite last night.

He used prototype 10'6" Black Hole Striped Bass Special rated 3 oz - 10 oz.  He fought two nice drum using the rod and IRT 5000 DD reel.

Here is his honest opinion. He was tournament caster and he know about the rods.

"The newer 10' 6" is definitely a winner the rod has a solid delivery when casting the rod , not to much wobble on the tip at the end of the cast just a solid follow thru , smooth long casting and felt great fighting those fish ."

20181129_222703.jpg

20181129_222354.jpg

After fishing drum with Mike Basnite at night I drove to Tampa to fish grouper.  I got a nice 30" and 26" gag grouper with bunch of small grouper using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod and IRT 600 DD using 25 plus lb drag.

After grouper fishing, I drove back to the East Coast of Fl to fish drum at night. But I overslept in a car and missed the tide. 

I fished drum early in the morning today, but I could not stay long because of relentless bug attack as it is calm. 

After resting for a while, I look for big snook tonight. 

I hope I fight 40" plus big snook.

Here is pictures of grouper I got yesterday.

20181130_103637.jpg

20181130_133412.jpg

16 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Beautiful fish.  And I'd bet they're really nice on the grill, or in a chowder.  Do grouper make nice sushi or are they too afflicted by parasites?

Grouper sashi.i is one of the best. Parasite is good to eat as they eat o lb grouper flesh. :)