ksong

prototype Black Hole Surf rods

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

nice drum using prototype 10'6" Black Hole USA surf rod rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz and IRT 500 DD reel last night.

I asked an angler next to me to fight for me to take video.

I thought the light rod need some more backbone, but it performed very well for big drum.

I used 5 oz sinker and green crab which I brought from NJ.

20181118_221027.jpg

23 hours ago, ksong said:

I plan to fish sea trout in NC on the way up using 3/4 oz - 1 oz lure for the rod.

Most of my fishing is open beach - throwing light stuff 3/4-1 3/4 oz. so the ability to sling light weight far and feel the lure is important (sensitivity).

I find many 3/4-4 rods don't do this well. They do better with 2 oz.

Interested to see how the light stuff flies with your prototype!

I went to West Coast of Florida today to fish with my friend Capt Carlos Bastos.

I met him first on the Elaine B out of Highland for togging about 30 years ago.

He was only 20 years old boy then and now he is 50 years old. 

We traveled together to Cape Cod for cod or to Virginia for togging. He is genuinely enthusiastic  bottom fisherman. I am glad he found home near Tampa and do bottom fishing charter as the area is one of the best grouper fishing in the US.  He is happy man now.

I am here on the East Coast of Florida to tonight drum fishing to test the Black Hole surf rod.

I tried to catch drum from last night, no fish.

I decided to stay one more day for drum here in Florida.

You need to catch first before testing rods. :)

23 hours ago, Mbrody said:

Most of my fishing is open beach - throwing light stuff 3/4-1 3/4 oz. so the ability to sling light weight far and feel the lure is important (sensitivity).

I find many 3/4-4 rods don't do this well. They do better with 2 oz.

Interested to see how the light stuff flies with your prototype!

You probably feel the same with the 3/4 - 4 oz new Black Hole surf rod. I highly recommend to try 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods if you cast 3/4 - 1  3/4 oz lure. You will love the rods.

Kil, I have the 10' Suzuki and I really like it. Whips those light lures and catching small-medium striper is amazing on that rod. Will beef up my reel on it as I feel the diameter of the VR50 is a little small for the 10' when casting. The suzuki is addicting to catch fish on. 

If the new thin 10'6" 3/4-4 does well on the light side of lures, then this may be a great next level rod I would certainly look at...would use in ocean/bay/inlet as a general purpose surf rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Do you ever come to ocean city/fenwick d.e. or within a drivers distance of there?

I used to fish tuna or tog out of Ocean City, MD. 

I fish Virginia Beach a lot now and have lunch and dinner in Ocean City on the way back. :) 

Edited by ksong

1 min ago, ksong said:

I used to fish tuna or tog out of Ocean City, MD. 

I fish Virginia Beach a lot now and have lunch and dinner in Ocean City on the way back. :) 

Now that we have a place in fenwick i can go fishing down there or assateague w/e i want.  I will get back to you in a few months about seeing if you can bring some rods for a quick fishing session.

26 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Now that we have a place in fenwick i can go fishing down there or assateague w/e i want.  I will get back to you in a few months about seeing if you can bring some rods for a quick fishing session.

OK. fenwick is one day striking distance. :)

I couldn't get any bite today. I am heading for Panama City for grouper jigging tomorrow morning. I left 10'6" prototype Black Hile surf rod  rated 3 - 10 oz to Mike Basnite. He will fish hard to test the rod