ksong

prototype Black Hole Surf rods

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, BrianBM said:

No my curiousity is itching.  What is the advantage of a tip-into-butt design, as opposed to a tip-over-butt design? 

I think you should post this question in the Town Tavern :rav:

Kilsong, will you make surf rods without the EVA foregrip?  Not only will they be lighter, but as for myself, I like the feel of a thinner grip above the reel.  Looks good so far!

1 hour ago, staktup said:

Kilsong, will you make surf rods without the EVA foregrip?  Not only will they be lighter, but as for myself, I like the feel of a thinner grip above the reel.  Looks good so far!

You will love new foregrip. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

I work a mile away from their presence here in NJ and had a distinct pleasure of visiting them in person few years ago. Very friendly folx, and stuff they had ... oh my .... IIRC some JDM stuff there too.

Owner is a legend for his tuna trips, esp around PEI

Anyway, if jig'n'pop looking for testers, I will gladly volunteer... can pick up one of those rods today, to save on shippin cost :)

While 50/50 split is more practical for transport, 2 butt:3 tip is better for casting, you can get a better loading of the rod by not having that sudden change of elasticity due to joint.

Edited by r111

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, r111 said:

While 50/50 split is more practical for transport, 2 butt:3 tip is better for casting, you can get a better loading of the rod by not having that sudden change of elasticity due to joint.

The rod designer is reluctant to make 50:50 split.  We are going to introduce 40;60 split first.

Kil,

Compared to the East Coast Special rods / blanks, what are the differences, say comparing 10' and 11' light East Coast Specials, to the new 10' and 10'6" rods? (length aside of course)

B

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Kil,

Compared to the East Coast Special rods / blanks, what are the differences, say comparing 10' and 11' light East Coast Specials, to the new 10' and 10'6" rods? (length aside of course)

B

much thinner diameter of the blank.

They have probably the thinnest diameter on the market.

The rods are designed for striper or drum, not for tuna.

comparison butt diameter of 10'6" new Black Hole Surf rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz and 10' Black Hole East Coast Surf rod rated 3/4 oz - 4 oz

Traditional surf rods have their own place, But I am very happy to see such thin diameter of butt section as many anglers prefer thin diameter surf rods.
We are not in a hurry.  We are going to test the new surf rods extensively to see everything is fine.

20181108_221243.jpg

20181108_221327.jpg

ermghoti likes this

Guys and girls, i will be field testing the new promo- rod 10'6" 2-6oz. i will get back to report sometime next week, as i want to put this rod through some tough testing,  including jetty rock piles,,,and also test, lower end rating lure rating 1oz. to the 6 oz. rating.....

ermghoti likes this