Garcia Mitchell #304 maintenance instructions 2898722 made in France

Hook I

just recently made a easy low price purchase but could not find any maintenance instructions or box . I did some timely google vids searches but nothing on the #304 , went to SOL search also , there is a thread running w/ the Mitchell Museum but came up negative , maybe its me .

Any info would help before i take it apart ...I hate puzzles . thanks  

If it has fins i want to catch it 

Looks like a nice clean example of this reel.  Go for it!

Generally speaking, when disassembling reels of this type, you first remove the handle, side plate and main gear.  Then you study the end of the spindle, and figure out what is fastening it to the  reciprocating mechanism.  It is usually a screw or two, or sometimes just a pin that you can pull out.  Once you’ve disengaged that, you can pull the spool/spindle forward and out if the reel.

Then remove the hex nut that holds  the rotor cup in place and remove the cup.  The rest should be fairly obvious.

Edited by gadabout

14 mins ago, gadabout said:

Looks like a nice clean example of this reel.  Go for it!

Thanks inside was about 1/4 inch of rust gunk & dirt

It was my 1st reel as a kid given to me in 63 or 64 , I did catch a lot of bay flounders , tommycods ,  L.I. Sound , my original was lost somewhere moving a few times . I have to order a precision screwdriver for those 3 screws , I don't want to strip them with what I have . You would think I have one somewhere in the garage but not that fine .   

Edited by Hook I

removed the handle & the 3 screws ( with the correct screwdriver )  removed the cover plate & inside was surprisingly clean , grease & all parts looked good no dirt no dust all the teeth looked brand new . I'm going to leave well enough alone as it feels smooth & good working order . I do have a few larger Mitchells that need a work over and now I'm feeling good to continue with them . Thanks guys & SOL