Brand new kayak owner-must have accessories

Just bought a 2018 Jackson Big Rig today due to it being a great price. Won’t be taking it out fishing until the spring so I’m going to load up on accessories slowly until spring. In your opinion what are some can’t be on the water without items(I know a PFD is 100% necessary). Thanks! Also is the $300 dollar paddle vs the $100 paddle a big deal?

Yes, agree on the paddle leash.  I also have a paddle clip that I use in addition to the leash, which is nice (and cheap).  I use a rod leash also (I pretty much leash everything on the kayak).  A nice dry bag is good, I picked one up off of Amazon for cheap.  There's a good thread about anchor setups in this forum, could be useful depending on what kind of fishing you're doing.

I'm not sure about the paddle, mine is a cheaper one but I've never used a nice lightweight one.

I did up this list for a few years back just to help me not forget things. it'll probably raise more questions than it answers, but it'll help you start. 

I've been paddling nearly 30 years, and I really like my 30 oz Bending Branches Slice Hybrid + paddle. I think it's about $150 now. Shaving ounces from there starts to get really expensive.

597170799bc94_kayaklistPNG.PNG.006bda159b83e66c850a01da9bf237c7.PNG

My opinion is that the lighter the paddle the easier your day will be, especially if you like to go out for a long time and long distances.  Even an ounce or two makes a huge difference over the course of hours on the water.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

I did up this list for a few years back just to help me not forget things. it'll probably raise more questions than it answers, but it'll help you start. 

I've been paddling nearly 30 years, and I really like my 30 oz Bending Branches Slice Hybrid + paddle. I think it's about $150 now. Shaving ounces from there starts to get really expensive.

597170799bc94_kayaklistPNG.PNG.006bda159b83e66c850a01da9bf237c7.PNG

No knife?  I have at least 3 on my kayak at all times.  A working knife, a back up knife and emergency/blunt tip knife. 

32 mins ago, atv223 said:

No knife?  I have at least 3 on my kayak at all times.  A working knife, a back up knife and emergency/blunt tip knife. 

Gerber River Shorty lives on the PFD, so it's not something I can forget.  I have a cheap backup that lives in the crate too.  Leaving stuff in place as much as possible helps a lot to make sure critical stuff gets on the water. Car key, sharpener, salt registration, medication, headlamp, and radio all stay in the PFD. Even the FF head unit stays on the boat.

Lots of opinions on dry suits, semi dry suits, wet suits, waders on this site. Good luck with your decision. My preference is a semi dry suit with a relaxed fit neoprene neck gasket from kokatat. Angler model. Keep in mind all options have strengths and weaknesses,

Resist the temptation.

Less is Moar !

Only after you see a real need for something, that's when you consider acquiring it

Safety the only exception .. b ready for the whole drysuit vs separates debate

Edited by r111

17 mins ago, r111 said:

Resist the temptation.

Less is Moar !

Fishing styles vary. a guy chasing CnR bass with plugs can go much lighter than togging for meat, where you have a container of crabs, a cooler for keepers, and often an anchor.  I found my Scupper Pro's 26" width made the latter a bit uncomfortable compared to the roominess of my Caribbean 14. But just trolling or casting plugs would be no problem.